Rails type pickups for strats - opinions please?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 258
    I like the Lil’59 in the neck position of my Jagstang, works really well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 1376
    Better,option for me is a Bare Knuckle Sinner, which is a hot Simgle Coil, retaining the look and the Strattiness......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 224
    I've had a Seymour Duncan hot rails in my favourite strat for about 35 years and it's going nowhere. Sure rails are different to full size humbuckers and they may not suit every guitar. It is definitely worth having a push pull switched pot to split the coils. 
    Lack of chug would be due to the compression from too much distortion back of the gain a bit.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 1114
    edited July 7
    I put  a Dimarzio fast track in my mm Silhouette years ago and love it, to make it more balanced in position 4 I simply took the two wires your supposed to solder together to make it humbuck and soldered them to the spare lug on my 5 way switch so when it’s in position 5 it’s full humbucking when position 4 it’s split to balance with the middle pick up. Ps lug 3 on the side of the switch which isn’t used is then sent to earth on the tone pot
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1521
    paulnb57 said:
    Megii said: he look of strats with a full size humbucker in the bridge - I like to see that slanting bridge pickup. 
    Well played and touché re the angled full size 'bucker - hadn't thought of that, and not what I'm after either, but can't deny it is a thing. :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1521
    Thanks again for all the replies, and it has helped me get my thoughts together. No right or wrong here of course, but hopefully I'll get to something that is right for me.

I do have a strat with a Lace red-silver-blue set, so as a side issue was interested in the discussion on those - my take is that for versatility they are great, and for a gigging guitar they really get the job done, and obviously can suffer from less noise when that's an issue. For me they have a smooth, hi-fi kind of thing, which is nice sometimes, but also I do understand where @ICBM is coming from if I'm honest.

Anyhow - I am going to be building yet another partscaster strat (surf green, all maple neck) having already made 3 of them - must be bonkers, but I just like strats it seems. Since I already have a couple of strats with the classic tones covered well, for this next one I'm going to go a bit different - it will have Axesrus Red Mag pickups in the neck and middle slots - for a warmer/fuller take on the single coil tone, and a rails in the bridge, and with switching to tap that one. To be honest I think I'll try something fairly inexpensive to start with, like an Artec or similar (alnico magnet) - will see how that works out, can always upgrade if not happy. Cheers again though! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 59
    I think these days , single size pickups can provide near enough the same tone /output as their double size brothers. Seymour Duncan jb dimarzio super distortion, iron gear jailhouse rails.