Tele convert...........

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Ah, I'm the other way around - always played Teles and never gave Strats the time of day. Loved the simplicity and utilitarian design of the Tele. Then, some years ago, I bought a Strat as a bit of an impulse buy (we'd just added a Clapton number) and after upgrading the pickups it has become my go-to. I still love a good Tele but if I could only have one guitar it would be a Strat.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I've gone from 22 years with a LP as my main guitar over to an AVRI 52 Tele. They're so solid and versatile. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Nothing else sound quite like a tele. I think it's ashtray bridge, gives it unique sound.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    Badnotes said:
    Speaking of being a Tele convert, I picked this up today...

https://imgur.com/a/WJFH3na
    Ooh, very nice; how does the neck shape up next to a Baja (assuming of course that you've played a Baja)?
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    The only thing better than a Telecaster is two Telecasters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BadnotesBadnotes Frets: 48
    benecol said:
    Ooh, very nice; how does the neck shape up next to a Baja (assuming of course that you've played a Baja)?

Unfortunately I've never played a Baja to compare it to, but the neck on this one is a fairly big U shape, but it's surprisingly fast and comfy I've found so far. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat neck pick! suck it Tele-tubbies! Lol!
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    cj73 said:
    I almost sold my telecaster.

:# 

was it when you had the flu at Christmas?
    I just wasn't feeling up to par
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    My one gripe with the strat is that, especially clean, it sounds too much like a Strat and with that comes a lot of baggage.

A tele has such a wide tonal palette that outside some of the really sharp twangy country sounds, it's almost indistinguishable and I think that's a good thing. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    My one gripe with the strat is that, especially clean, it sounds too much like a Strat and with that comes a lot of baggage.

A tele has such a wide tonal palette that outside some of the really sharp twangy country sounds, it's almost indistinguishable and I think that's a good thing. 
    Nailed it there. Love a strat neck pickup but it just sounds so obviously like a strat. And I don’t sound like the really good famous strat players lol. Give me a Tele, and I seem to sound more like me and I’m happy. Give me a strat and I’m never quiet happy as I don’t sound like stevie or jimi etc. 

Ive spent far to much bloody money going between the two though. Tele, strat, Tele, strat, Tele, strat. Grrrr. I’ve given up for the time being and trying other guitars out. I did keep some lovely Lollar Tele pickups for when the next one comes though :)
  • If you can't play it on a Tele ... it ain't worth being played. ;-)

Indeed. And with guitarists like yvette young, it's proof a tele can do it all... 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited July 2019
    Been tele-curious for a very long time now, basically since I was in a band with someone who had one which was some of the best tone I've heard in person. My LP and SG sounded mushy and flat in comparison to that bridge pickup crunch. Thing is I know I generally don't get on with Fenders, I prefer the feel of Gibson styles but maybe that's just something I need to get over! I also love the neck pickup tone being a Tom Morello fan, and middle sounds great too.

Been thinking I should try an Affinity Tele to test the waters but part of me thinks I should splash a bit more cash on a used CV and put up with the ugly butterscotch finish.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    TTBZ said:
    Been tele-curious for a very long time now, basically since I was in a band with someone who had one which was some of the best tone I've heard in person. My LP and SG sounded mushy and flat in comparison to that bridge pickup crunch. Thing is I know I generally don't get on with Fenders, I prefer the feel of Gibson styles but maybe that's just something I need to get over! I also love the neck pickup tone being a Tom Morello fan, and middle sounds great too.

Been thinking I should try an Affinity Tele to test the waters but part of me thinks I should splash a bit more cash on a used CV and put up with the ugly butterscotch finish.
    Affinity Teles are Fender's best kept secret. Simple, effective, and cheap as chips.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    HAL9000 said:
    TTBZ said:

Affinity Teles are Fender's best kept secret. Simple, effective, and cheap as chips.
    Honestly the Bullet Teles are stupidly good value for money too. You wouldn't go far wrong getting one of those for £100 - £150 new and just changing the pickups to something like IronGears for another £60. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I have to have either tele or strat have had teles the most though. 
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    The only guitar I ever gigged with was an affinity Tele... Admittedly with a change of pickups. From memory it played great, looked good (always a bonus) and sounded very nice. Sure the body is a bit thinner, it's top loaded and the neck is not exactly chunky but for the money it's just a very good guitar.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I had a quick play on one a while ago and remember liking the neck, the narrower nut felt good though that seems to be the main criticism from most. Wondering if I'd be better off waiting til a cheapo battered MIM shows up though! Have they always had medium jumbo-ish frets apart from on the more vintage inspired models? I hate skinny small frets.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    I’m a big Gretsch fan, but think a tele is actually the perfect guitar design. 
    Once a Bigsby is bolted on, they’re all a man really needs. 
    LP’s have never done anything for me. 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    joetele said:
    HAL9000 said:
    TTBZ said:

Honestly the Bullet Teles are stupidly good value for money too. You wouldn't go far wrong getting one of those for £100 - £150 new and just changing the pickups to something like IronGears for another £60. 
    I bought one of those red sparkle bullet telecasters a few months ago. They rave about them on the tdpri forum.

I was really surprised by how good it is, perhaps a pickup change but the stock pickups are by no means junk.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    My Tele is a Warmoth - but with a Joe Barden bridge, and BKP Blackguard Flat 50's pickups, it's stunning.

It's the guitar I've gigged with the most.  It just has something about it - it's not comfortable, the neck is huge (which I like), the body isn't contoured, and so cuts in to my forearm, the bridge snags my palm.  

But it's still brilliant in every way.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/