This guy deserves top credit for his Crossroads cover!

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7298
    Philly_Q said:
    I thought he nailed Jack Bruce’s vocals too.
     s 
    What the “ladies and gentlemen, please, Eric Clapton on vocals” bit? 
    Ha oops , that’ll teach me for trying to be a smart arse!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31813
    Yes, but why? All that time and effort for a slightly less exciting, note-for-note version of somebody else's one-night-only improvisation. 

It's not an instinct I have I'm afraid, it's the musical equivalent of sitting in a care home doing a 5000 piece jigsaw. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 420
    p90fool said:
    Yes, but why? All that time and effort for a slightly less exciting, note-for-note version of somebody else's one-night-only improvisation. 

It's not an instinct I have I'm afraid, it's the musical equivalent of sitting in a care home doing a 5000 piece jigsaw. 
    Ooooo, that sounds like fun!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1074
    p90fool said:

Because learning the masters songs note for note is well established as how many of the greatest, including EC, learned?

Also, jigsaws are awesome
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:

Because learning the masters songs note for note is well established as how many of the greatest, including EC, learned?

Well obviously, but they mostly learned licks note-for-note, or just pinched the odd phrase and worked it in to how they were trying to express themselves.

Learning five minutes' worth of near-identical improvised pentatonic rambling, then regurgitating the whole thing by rote except without any adrenaline is the work of a mad person, surely. 

"Hmmm, I haven't quite nailed that G to A in bar 97 yet, must keep at it..."

I'm not being a snob here by the way, I play covers for money, but it doesn't have to be an illness.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I've never seen the point of note for note covers unless you're in a tribute band and they're fairly pointless especially the ones that dress up like the band members. I'd rather listen to the original record. However well you play it it's still just a pale imitation of another artist.
    If it's just for fun then it makes a bit more sense.
    I can understand putting your own slant on a cover, that can be interesting, inspired and usually more spontaneous. After all, look at All Along the Watchtower, now that's a cover of an already great song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I thought Chelsea Constables version was fantastic. Both solos.
    This is (maybe) my favourite guitar solo ever because Clapton's timing is immaculate.

If a see a cover of this song the timing and feel is much more important that an exact recreation.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13984
    p90fool said:

It's all good fun, not something I do personally, but the vid above is a good cover and it's the tone I'm really impressed with, it does sound great and very close to the recording.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10363
    p90fool said:

Sheepishly puts away jigsaw......

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Skipped said:
    This is (maybe) my favourite guitar solo ever because Clapton's timing is immaculate.

If a see a cover of this song the timing and feel is much more important that an exact recreation.
    Clapton's timing on Crossroads was truly terrible, as he's the first to admit. 

There are large sections where he's half a bar out because he wasn't sure where Bruce and Baker were in the 12-bar progression, which is why some of the phrasing is a little odd. 

It is a fantastic, energetic bit of guitar playing though, he was at the top of his game (when he could hear the others).
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1074
    Skipped said:

Yeah. she has the feel down. Lovely vibrato.

Soloing isn't just playing licks though, is it? You are creating a story.

By learning great solos completely you are learning how to create a whole story.

if you just drop 30 killer licks in a row you will sound rubbish.

I know EC isnt a fan of that one, but as you say, the energy is amazing.

Considering the second solo is basically position one minor pentatonic with a few major notes it's insanely lyrical.

Its a classic for a reason.

I love the 'sleepy time time' solo off live cream even more. He sounds really pissed off on that one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Just listened to the Chelsea Constable clip and she makes it sound more fluid and unforced than the other clip.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    The guy is good but I would like to see him play in a real band.  Playing songs that ordinary punters like.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3067
    p90fool said:

I like Clapton, and in particular Cream, but 100% this ^^^.

Be inspired. Copying is pointless.

R.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    I’m a massive EC fan - but I’ve never really done the ‘note for note’ thing....
  • rossirossi Frets: 1710
    i do like  Clappers stuff but I always find Crossroads and After midnight overblown and too quick and missing the  essential ambience of the songs but what do I know .I learn bits of blues .bits of licks and then go for many keys so I can jam with others.I do sing as well so try to get my own take on songs but still make it easy to jam too.The main thing is to avoid a note for note version in only one key .
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1620
    If you want a carbon copy then the Chelsea version is closer, but a little too precise - maybe notes clipped a little short - and the vibrato is wrong somehow - too wide.  Eric has his vertical type vibrato which is a different sound.  Better than the first version though!
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3821
    I’ve just about nailed Marty Friedman’s solo on Megadeth’s Lucretia and it has taken me many an hour. I enjoyed it as a technical exercise and it has improved numerous aspects of my playing - plus, I learned some interesting things, theory-wise. So, I’m not going to slate the guy for learning something he clearly loves - and it sounded good to my ears.

I think some people forget that they don’t need to contribute to every thread with a ‘more valid’ opinion than others...
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3067

I think some people forget that they don’t need to contribute to every thread with a ‘more valid’ opinion than others...
    Like you have? :)

Well  think you're wrong. ;)