Fender Custom Shop - No More Clay Dots

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GuitarDaveGuitarDave Frets: 2
    edited July 2019
    Just had a memo - From the very top - No more clay dots on any Custom Shop Fenders - No additional info etc, just that quick statement
    Wow this is very bad news!
    Although the Custom Shop dots were Micarta and not clay. The original preCBS dots were vulcanised fibreboard and not clay anyway.
    Wonder what the reasoning is behind this move?
    If they go with plastic dots I will never ever buy another Custom Shop Guitar.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3868
    Shame. Clay dots look cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Just had a memo - From the very top - No more clay dots on any Custom Shop Fenders - No additional info etc, just that quick statement
    Although the Custom Shop dots were Micarta and not clay. The original preCBS dots were vulcanised fibreboard and not clay anyway.

Custom Shop offered both as an option - But granted micarta was far more common
  • Just had a memo - From the very top - No more clay dots on any Custom Shop Fenders - No additional info etc, just that quick statement

Oh! I never realised that I thought all the Custom Shop guitars with rosewood boards used Micarta?
    So would that explain why ths dye has worn off the micarta dots on my Strat, when those with real clay dots retain the colour?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader

Oh! I never realised that I thought all the Custom Shop guitars with rosewood boards used Micarta?
    So would that explain why ths dye has worn off the micarta dots on my Strat, when those with real clay dots retain the colour?

similar to top nuts - Most are built with micarta nuts, but you can ask for bone if required on a custom order - Some stock items will have clay dots and/or bone nuts - No price difference 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422

Some are MOP. Check the shop traveler if in doubt... but usually you can tell by looking. 
  • Whitecat said:

Some are MOP. Check the shop traveler if in doubt... but usually you can tell by looking. 
    All 3 of my CS Strats say Micarta dots on the traveller, and on all three the tan colour that was there when I bought them has worn off and now they are off white.
    I could never understand why some people said the colour had worn off the dots when others retained the colour, so if some CS Strats actually have clay dots rather than dyed Micarta that explains it!