What much-hated piece of gear do you actually love?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    Also, Rickenbackers :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    The headstock on my G&L Fallout.
    My Vox VT20+. Cheap modelling amps always get a hard time.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    Lace pickups, maybe. I've not had a guitar with the original single coil style pickups, but I had a set of the Drop and Gain / Arena humbucker style pickups in an LP copy.

https://lacemusic.com/collections/7/products/drop-gain-humbucker

Very controllable, slightly hi-fi, but not sterile sounding. Tight bottom end. Worked really well for rock style playing. Higher output and not the sound I'd go for now, but worked well for the guitar I had them in.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    The vibrato unit on a fender mustang
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12698
    Boss Metalzone - great noiz maker, lousy for blues toanz. That appeals.

Shergold - proper ones, not the Eggle ones.

PRS - love my 305 and CE22. 

Classic 57s in my SG - replaced the OE fit 490 things. Others seem to think they are too polite, but then not all of us wear School Uniforms and play sped up Chuck Berry licks. Repeatedly.

Digital modelling - apparently some can tell things that are digital. Not sure if they can hear 0s or Ones but that’s quite a skill...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    My R9. It’s wonderful, perfect neck, good weight and sounds superb. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6132
    The stock pickups on Classic 50's Telecaster. So much scorn thrown on those poor pickups; plastic baseplate, the horror. They sound great, especially if you like that thin scratchy blonde on Blonde tele sound or RnR, or country or anything,('cept maybe metal).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7340
    BahHumbug said:
    I have a Boss GT-10 which I use all the time for playing with the band.  I never see these mentioned anywhere, so I presume they are not particularly well regarded.  It works for me and I really don’t believe audiences give two hoots about what gear the band is playing.
    I only got rid of mine recently upgrading to a helix...its a great piece of kit, I used it for about 9/10 years
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    ICBM said:
    Philtre said:

Danhere and Mickhere did a video on this. It's true it can sound half-decent. But, like them, I find I have to decrease the treble and increase the bass EQs.
    Why is that a problem? That’s what the controls are for... and they affect the clean channel less, so if you dial it in for the Drive channel the clean will take care of itself. You need the bright switch on, but that’s why there is one!

I A/B’d a HRD - actually a limited edition one with a Jensen speaker and tweed cab, to be fair - against a well-regarded 5E3 replica, and the HRD could nail the overdrive tone of the 5E3 exactly, at the same volume... the difference being that it could also go louder or quieter as well.

I honestly think a lot of the problem is that just like with the DS-1, people don’t understand how to use the controls and dial them in with their eyes not their ears.

Yeah I liked the drive channel on my HRD2 as well and used the same method of dialing it in. Had to let it go though as it used to switch channels all on its own, as if by magic! 
    I had this fixed and the fix lasted for 6 months or so and it started happening again. 

I know now it’s a known problem (due to over- hot components I think?) but I moved it on anyway. 

I actually prefer the Blues Deluxe to the HRD - I don’t hear much praise for them but I think they’re cracking amps. 
  • A Les Paul with a Floyd gets a lot of hate but my CS Axcess model is fantastic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7903

Miku !
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    impmann said:
    I like the sounds you can get from a Metalzone, too. I'm always a bit surprised at how much people mock it.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11686
    tFB Trader
    i like certain EMGs in some of my guitars ....admittedly their EMG58 model

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10969
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:

Classic 57s in my SG - replaced the OE fit 490 things. Others seem to think they are too polite, but then not all of us wear School Uniforms and play sped up Chuck Berry licks. Repeatedly.

Digital modelling - apparently some can tell things that are digital. Not sure if they can hear 0s or Ones but that’s quite a skill...
    I'd second old Shergolds ... some of the best necks and fingerboards out there. Sure their looks are an acquired taste ... possibly bordering on the fugly
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 687
    The stock bridges on Fender offsets. Never had a problem with them and don't understand why anyone would want to spend upwards of £150 on a replacement.

Though to that end, I've never really understood the whole "I can't wait til my brand new guitar arrives so I can rip out the pickups, completely change the bridge, put new pots in, change the guard and maybe even have it refinned" brigade.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    impmann said:

Anyone who still hates digital modelling is stuck in the past. I think they must just have it in their head that it could never be good and probably haven't even heard any for many years.

In the top recording studios in the world, the engineers sit in front of tens of thousands of pounds worth of analogue gear using the digital recreations of that same gear on the computer.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    My Les Paul :-)
    The set of bill lawrence "the original" circuit board pickups inb my lp custom. Pretty much everyone has told me to take those pieces of rubbish out. I think they sound fantastic.
    I really like the sound of those too ... very underrated ... the sad thing is that they break regularly and are practically impossible to repair.
    And as far as I know there there isn't a modern equivalent if I wanted another set like them. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I had a Peavey Classic 30 for a short while. Great drive channel.
    I also have a Blues Delux, and I kinda like the drive channel, it's very subtle but gives a nice  edge to the sound especially if you have the guitar volume set on 9 - 10.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    thegummy said:
    impmann said:

Anyone who still hates digital modelling is stuck in the past. I think they must just have it in their head that it could never be good and probably haven't even heard any for many years.

In the top recording studios in the world, the engineers sit in front of tens of thousands of pounds worth of analogue gear using the digital recreations of that same gear on the computer.
    Yeah I don't get the hate for digital gear. If it sounds good it sounds good.

Does bring up one point of intrigue though, which is if the producers are using recreations of actual real analogue equipment, surely it's both a point of ease and that nobody would be able to tell the difference in a mix rather than anything else?
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Two point fender strat trem
    Sounds great, stays in tune, is awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom