What much-hated piece of gear do you actually love?

What's Hot

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4177
    edited July 2019
    Any amp that sounds rather "horsehair horsehair".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    thegummy said:
    skunkwerx said:
    I once had a chapman through a line 6 spider iii... 

Admittedly both now sold. 

But it wasnt as bad as the internet makes out. I just sold them..... honest. 
    Has anyone actually played a Chapman and disliked it? I thought all the hate was just bias because they have a vendetta against the man himself.
    Aye, I liked both the ones I had, albeit they were the same model in different colours. i just had too many guitars. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19203
    Philtre said:
    Any amp that sounds rather "horsehair horsehair".
    OK, please enlighten me as to WTF 'horsehair horsehair' sounds like when it's when it's at home?? 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7310
    Paul_C said:

Miku !
    Singer on my band has one on his board.....have to say its not great.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7882
    Paul_C said:

Miku !
    Singer on my band has one on his board.....have to say its not great.
    That just proves that it's much-hated :) (or at least much-derided).

I'm tempted to post a recent YouTube I made which is almost all Miku, but as you'd probably hate it I won't bother ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2019
    I have a 2015 junior and I love it 

Oh I also have a Gibson slash signature model too 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Another DS1 owner here. Great for adding a (little) bit more gain/boost for solos, and it only cost me a fiver. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sassafras said:
    Orange Micro Terror.
    It needs to be dialled in fairly carefully but it can be made to sound magnificent.

Only joking. I don't think anyone can make them sound remotely listenable.
    The Amplitube software actually has a model of it.

Can understand someone buying it if they can't afford something better but why choose a model of it rather than a model of something better?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    edited July 2019
    Tranny amps often get a mixed press, and the later Marshall Valvestate amps are probably no exception. But my original Mk1 Marshall Valvestate 1x12 80v '8080' with its Celestion G12T75 speaker is the best one they ever made, and to this day is still Marshall's biggest selling amp ever.  It still sounds good on stage or at home, and works really well with pedals and mfx. It has a decent warm spring reverb, two proper foot switchable channels, front fx loop with 10db switch, and a contour eq control. The cleans are surprisingly good, and goes from a light overdrive to gutsy Marshall crunch. In its day it was a lot of amp for the money, it's been ultra reliable, built like a tank, lightweight and darned loud....and I still like it.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Voxman said:
    Tranny amps often get a mixed press, and the later Marshall Valvestate amps are probably no exception. But my original Mk1 Marshall Valvestate 1x12 80v '8080' with its Celestion G12T75 speaker is the best one they ever made, and to this day is still Marshall's biggest selling amp ever.  It still sounds good on stage or at home, and works really well with pedals and mfx. It has a decent warm spring reverb, two proper foot switchable channels, front fx loop with 10db switch, and a contour eq control. The cleans are surprisingly good, and goes from a light overdoverdrive to gutsy Marshall crunch. In its day it was a lot of amp for the money, it's been ultra reliable, built like a tank, lightweight and darned loud....and I still like it.
    I've wanted an "Overdoverdrive" ever since they first came out ! ;)

Totally agree about this amp, was and still is a great amp and wherever I went in the 90's, there was always one there for a reason.
    If I had to use someone else amp for a gig and they gave me that amp, I'd be really happy about it.

Damn it.
    I want another one now !
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7882

Can you get just the overdoverdrive in a pedal ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob477Rob477 Frets: 3
    Another Shergold fan here. If a vintage Fender could be compared to a pair of Gohill's boots, my '75 Modulator would be a pair of British safety shoes with steel caps & mid soles, naturally. But I love it (and what a neck!)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Sassafras said:
    Orange Micro Terror.
    It needs to be dialled in fairly carefully but it can be made to sound magnificent.

That amp only need a decent valve (in place of the totally rubbish valve fitted as standard) and an Orange 4 * 12 cabinet and it sounds more than passable my friend.   Of course that Orange cab makes any amp sound awesome. Pity it is not the easiest to transport or move around. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Pandora Mini - there I've said it.
    Alnico said:
    Voxman said:
    Tranny amps often get a mixed press, and the later Marshall Valvestate amps are probably no exception. But my original Mk1 Marshall Valvestate 1x12 80v '8080' with its Celestion G12T75 speaker is the best one they ever made, and to this day is still Marshall's biggest selling amp ever.  It still sounds good on stage or at home, and works really well with pedals and mfx. It has a decent warm spring reverb, two proper foot switchable channels, front fx loop with 10db switch, and a contour eq control. The cleans are surprisingly good, and goes from a light overdoverdrive to gutsy Marshall crunch. In its day it was a lot of amp for the money, it's been ultra reliable, built like a tank, lightweight and darned loud....and I still like it.

Totally agree about this amp, was and still is a great amp and wherever I went in the 90's, there was always one there for a reason.
    If I had to use someone else amp for a gig and they gave me that amp, I'd be really happy about it.

Damn it.
    I want another one now !
    Overdoverdrive ...now available as a stand-alone pedal!!   :)  So much for predictive text on mobile - but what a great accidental name!!  So much overdrive it falls over the Dover cliffs - perfect for Eric Johnsons 'Cliffs of Dover!!   =)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Voxman said:
    Alnico said:
    Voxman said:

Damn it.
    I want another one now !
    Overdoverdrive ...now available as a stand-alone pedal!!   :)  So much for predictive text on mobile - but what a great accidental name!!  So much overdrive it falls over the Dover cliffs - perfect for Eric Johnsons 'Cliffs of Dover!!   =)
    I thought of Eric too !

It actually isn't a bad moniker for a pedal at all and a great typo.
    OK I've patented the name!  If someone can now make the pedal, we'll go 50/50 and be rich beyond the dreams of avarice!!  =)
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4163
    I gigged a Spider III 75W combo once. And it sounded pretty damn good. Had various presets set up on the floorboard and it worked really well for our covers band.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Rocker said:
    Sassafras said:
    Orange Micro Terror.

That amp only need a decent valve (in place of the totally rubbish valve fitted as standard) and an Orange 4 * 12 cabinet and it sounds more than passable my friend.   Of course that Orange cab makes any amp sound awesome. Pity it is not the easiest to transport or move around. 
    Sort of defeats the object of having a tiny amp.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4220
    I gigged a Spider III 75W combo once. And it sounded pretty damn good. Had various presets set up on the floorboard and it worked really well for our covers band.
    I played a battle of the bands in a pub in Bradford once years ago, and the guitarist in one of the other bands had a Spider head going through a 4x12. When he played his first chord I thought 'cor, that's one of the best metal guitar sounds I've ever heard!'... then by the end of his set I'd have happily paid someone to saw my ears off so that I didn't have to hear it anymore
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom