Oil CIty: Gretsch style pickups return

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10381
edited July 2019 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Our 'Tron' style pickups have been out of our normal line up for a while while we sourced parts to make them even closer to the 50s originals ... and while we sorted out some cool variations for your pleasure. Note: these are proper Gretsch size ... not full size humbucker style. They can of course be made to fit a standard HB guitar with the correct adapter rings, and to that end we will supply them in 'G mount' or 'English mount' format.

We are NOT using the brass base-plates that some manufacturers use ... but top notch nickel silver ones like below. They won't tarnish and go green with handling ... and we think they befit a premium product like this.

They are also wound with vintage spec PVA coated wire ... or 'heavy Formvar' to special order.

Some manufacturers use Gibson style pole screws (right). We use the correct pattern to the left. Subtle we know, but it really makes the pickups 'look' right.

Of course we use the correct double thickness (1/4 inch thick) alnico 5 magnets for the right punch and power.

We are also intending to build them into humbucker shells maintaining the correct style bobbins and bobbin spacing ... making them the most exact sounding HB sized 'Tron' style pickups made.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27478
    Now, there's a tempting idea for my next build ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10381
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Now, there's a tempting idea for my next build ...
    Suit a Cabronita down to the ground .... or perhaps something more daring ... three in a Strat is a fun game ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27478
    Actually I'd been toying with the idea of a Coronado style build, into which is/was going  a set of your Stone Tones (which are currently sitting in an old Kawai Aquarius that hasn't seen the light of day for years).

A sort of squashed 335 / Strat hybrid.  Which could be a real Frankenstein.

But these might be more suited. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Actually I'd been toying with the idea of a Coronado style build, into which is/was going  a set of your Stone Tones (which are currently sitting in an old Kawai Aquarius that hasn't seen the light of day for years).

A sort of squashed 335 / Strat hybrid.  Which could be a real Frankenstein.

But these might be more suited. 
    That sounds fun :-)

• antonyivantonyiv Frets: 301
    Pick ups are the only weak spot of my Power Jet. They sometimes sound too muddy or undefined, usually I have to play around with the amp settings until I get sound that I like. 

Whats the the price of these? 
    tFB Trader
    antonyiv said:
    Pick ups are the only weak spot of my Power Jet. They sometimes sound too muddy or undefined, usually I have to play around with the amp settings until I get sound that I like. 

Whats the the price of these? 
    Just over £100.00 each. Cheaper than TV Jones ... and I believe available in more cover finishes and with several power options.

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    They look great Ash, a tron is something i fancy trying next
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    They look great Ash, a tron is something i fancy trying next
    Lots of cover finishes nickel ... gold .... unplated nickel ... and even black. Also classic output and boosted options and of course English or Gretsch mount.

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Will you also be selling the adapter rings to mount them in a humbucker guitar?

And  are they taller than a standard humbucker because of the thicker magnets?
    tFB Trader
    They are a little taller ... about the height of a vintage PAF with long legs. 
    I can certainly provide laser cut adaptors ... or the Gretsch/TV Jones ones are pretty easy to source.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    We are NOT using the brass base-plates that some manufacturers use.
    As seen on "TV". ;)

We are also intending to build them into humbucker shells, maintaining the correct style bobbins and bobbin spacing ... making them the most exact sounding HB sized 'Tron' style pickups made. 
    Good thinking, Batman.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.