Gold hardware

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5750
Are there different grades of gold hardware fitted to guitars or are they all junk?

I have a very nice and quite expensive Gibson with gold hardware. I bought it more as a “I have to have it” guitar than something to play. I think it’s had about three hours of total play time since I bought it (new in 2017) and it’s been cased when it’s not in use. 

However, the hardware is starting to tarnish quite heavily. The neck pickup cover looks aged and pitted and the nickel beneath the gold is showing through. 

I’ve attempted to clean it up with some Gibson low abrasion metal cleaner but even that seems to be rubbing off the top layer of gold quicker than 80 grit sandpaper!

I suppose Gibson would probably laugh at me if I tried to claim it was a warranty issue?

In all honesty I’ve never come across a guitar with gold hardware that didn’t have the same issue (and I don’t normally go for gold hardware anyway, as a rule it’s tacky) but was hoping maybe something that’s meant to be a quality instrument (let’s not go there ok) might have been properly sorted. 

In all other respects the quality is very high and it’s a superb instrument. It just pains me that if I ever wanted to sell it I couldn’t claim it was mint due to the hardware tarnishing rather rapidly. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7169
    korina explorers, black beauties and white customs are the only guitars that should have gold bits and the more tarnishing the better quite frankly
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5750
    tony99 said:
    korina explorers, black beauties and white customs are the only guitars that should have gold bits and the more tarnishing the better quite frankly
    This is a white custom. Sort of. It’s an Alex Lifeson ES Les Paul. Beautiful guitar. Personally, not so keen on the gold hardware but it didn’t come with any other option. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19204
    Tarnished, worn gold hardware is 'hot' but new/untouched gold hardware is 'cheap/nasty' .
    No logical explanation, it just 'is', a bit like most rules of religion  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10892
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    Gold  hardware always screws up rapidly ... even expensive stuff. This is the main reason I'm reluctant to supply gold finish covers ... I don't want the hassle of explaining why even expensive gold covers revert to nickel stupidly quickly.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, there we go then. All gold is equally pants it seems. Lol. 

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I'd add the Yamaha SA2200 to the "no gold hardware" exception list. Yes, I have one so there's a bit of bias here ;)

It's 10 years old and the gold is still pristine, apart from one corner of the bridge pickup, and that's probably more to do with my inept technique than anything else. Granted, it's not had a hard life, but it gets played most days.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12167
    I've got an Epi Les Paul Custom Pro, and managed to accelerate the tarnish of the gold hardware with some gentle metal polishing.  I was appalled at first, but it actually looks more like a guitar and less like a spangly suit now.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    It's gold, of course they're not going to apply a generous coating!
    Haych said:
    Ah, there we go then. All gold is equally pants it seems. Lol. 
    Apparently not. Let's see you erasure this from your memory  =)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Don't the Gibson Custom LPs have solid gold pickup covers?  :#
    Is it though? Or is it just some gold coloured coating? I didn’t think gold tarnished at all?

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    The gold hardware on a Gibson has to quickly wear through, flake or become pitted, otherwise it isn't Authentic! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mbe said:
    Don't the Gibson Custom LPs have solid gold pickup covers?  :#
    Oh, if only  :)  they'd be worth more than the guitar  ;) :)

This is what gold hardware can look like after 30-40 years. No faking, relicing etc.  
    Funnily enough, the sound gets better.  No, really  ;) :) :3

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23392
    Haych said:
    Is it though? Or is it just some gold coloured coating? I didn’t think gold tarnished at all?
    I'm pretty sure it's real gold, but it's an extremely thin layer.  And I don't know if it tarnishes as such, it just wears through very easily.  Metal polish will take the gold layer right off.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    A dab of Brasso will soon take the gold plating off.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited July 2019
    Haych said:
    Pure gold is a noble metal i.e. is resistant to oxidation and corrosion but gold is usually mixed with other metals to make it more durable/scratch resistant and cheaper etc... and it’s the metals it mixed with that tend to corrode quickly. I suspect it is gold but not very pure. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I’d add the Jem 7v to the list of exceptions.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    edited July 2019
    The gold on my 1990 LP Custom and 1989 Epi Sheraton II are still in pretty good condition for guitars that are 'players' and around 30 years old.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited July 2019
    the gold on hardware (Taps espesh) these days is not GOLD gilding but the minutest deposit of Ag Au from Potassium Gold Cyanide and Potassium Stannate in an electrolytic reaction.

This is why they all wear so badly.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>