Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    Au? Ag is silver
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    mbe said:
    Don't the Gibson Custom LPs have solid gold pickup covers?  :#
    You'd think so, given that they want the price of a small car for them now... but no.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Never been a fan of gold hardware, and this has just reinforced my opinions!
    I’m deeply unfashionable because I like chrome best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31752
    ICBM said:
    I’m deeply unfashionable because I like chrome best.
    The thing I've found about being deeply unfashionable is that every 10-12 years my tastes become fashionable for brief periods. 

I'm usually "pretty cool for an old dude" for a few brief months every decade or so. :)
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5736
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Never been a fan of gold hardware, and this has just reinforced my opinions!
    It’s never been a first choice of mine, in fact I almost always hate it. Gibson did a run of Les Paul Studios, white with gold hardware. They did look pretty cool I have to admit but mostly I find gold tacky. 

I even refused to have a gold wedding ring on the same grounds. 

Like I said before, I just had to have this particular guitar and it came with gold bits. It does work cos again it’s white but it would look equally as hot with chrome or nickel. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

p90fool said:

The thing I've found about being deeply unfashionable is that every 10-12 years my tastes become fashionable for brief periods. 

I'm usually "pretty cool for an old dude" for a few brief months every decade or so. :)
    Sadly, the 501s and sports jacket with rolled-up sleeves look has stubbornly refused to return.

;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31752
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

Sadly, the 501s and sports jacket with rolled-up sleeves look has stubbornly refused to return.

;)
    Damn!

*rushes upstairs to change
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Gold only looks good on a stripper's tassels.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7169
    Sassafras said:
    Thanks!! recognition at last
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    Sassafras said:
    Gold looks good on certain guitars, e.g. LP Customs in ebony, white and tobacco sunburst, black 335s etc.  Also looks nice on my 2004 50th anniversary Strat in two tone sunburst. 

Chrome is great on e.g. silverburst LP customs and SG standards.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Haych said:
    the hardware is starting to tarnish quite heavily. The neck pickup cover looks aged and pitted and the nickel beneath the gold is showing through
    Interesting. I have a 25-year-old Ovation with gold (or at least gold-coloured) machine heads and they are like new despite a fair amout of use. Can anyone suggest why this may be?
    pigface said:

I have a 25-year-old Ovation with gold (or at least gold-coloured) machine heads and they are like new despite a fair amout of use. Can anyone suggest why this may be?
    They may be lacquered over the gold plating.

• TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
    I'll buck the trend and say I love the look of gold hard ware, but I agree it's nowhere near hard wearing enough. I recently bought a Burns Apache with gold hardware and one of the first things I did was cut up a  screen protector from an old 7 inch tablet so I could place it on the vibrato unit. I also popped some cling film over the bridge saddles to help prevent wear. B)

Sad, I know, but it works surprisingly well, particularly the screen protector which is all but invisible unless you know it's there. 

Cliff