JoBo Interview

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6915
His playing isn’t my cup of tea but he seems like a down to earth character. Quite a funny interview - I know he gets a lot of shit maybe this might change a few opinions.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-bonamassa-i-have-a-fire-drill-that-i-practise-and-im-not-joking-i-can-haul-eight-guitars-outta-nerdville-on-my-own-in-a-hurry

Present company excepted, who’s the greatest guitarist that’s ever lived?

“That really is a bullshit question. There isn’t a best ever. Never will be. There are too many styles and variations of technique to crown a champion.”

What would you most like to be remembered for?

“Figuring out how to make an average guitarist with a big chin and questionable singing voice from Utica, New York a big enough deal to be interviewed in your magazine.”

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I like him as a person, seems very down to earth. And really I like his playing I guess, but that's not why I listen to music. I was really surprised when he performed Mr Big with Paul Kossof's Les Paul, and sort of took all the swing out of it. Just had no life left.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11488

What do you think was the best gig you ever did?

“Tie... Royal Albert Hall, May 4th 2009; and Red Rocks in Morrison Colorado August 2014.”

I was at the Albert Hall one.  Hard to believe it's ten years.

• I didn't have much time for Bonamassa until I watched this interview. He is very funny and self-depreciating. When talking about merchandising he calls himself  "the crusty the clown of the blues". :)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14560
    tFB Trader
    Agree that by and large his playing doesn't do it for me - His best 2 albums IMO are the covers based albums with Beth Hart - And check out Stone Cold with Jimmy Barnes

But as a person I have little issues with him - Most of us would love to be in a similar position - Tour the world - Play guitar - Make some money - Own some nice gear - And by and large unknown outside his own fan club, so free to go for a curry and a beer in Watford on a Friday night if he wanted to, without that fame and fortune hassle 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1565
    That JoBo interview went better than BoJo’s!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Someone once bought me a pair of Bonamassa cufflinks. I can never ever forgive him for that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    I struggle to get into his music but he always comes across as such a nice guy and you can't fault his enthusiasm for gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14560
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    I struggle to get into his music but he always comes across as such a nice guy and you can't fault his enthusiasm for gear.
    agree
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Ah, Summer NAMM is upon us, so another JoBo interview ahead of yet another signature product no doubt.

Cynical? Me?

Very
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4043
    impmann said:
    Ah, Summer NAMM is upon us, so another JoBo interview ahead of yet another signature product no doubt.

Cynical? Me?

Very
    Yeah, there’s another Epiphone Les Paul coming out, based on one of his bursts with double cream pickups, saw it on his Instagram I think.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I believe he engages on various online forums so he's not that different to us mere mortals.
    He seems a nice enough chap even if his playing isn't the most exciting. He's certainly very competent at this whole guitar lark.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2006
    I like him, but I'd never pay £100+ to see him play, which is what he charged when he came to Carlisle.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    I have met and hung out with Joe on a couple of occasions. He’s very down to earth, loves to talk gear and is very generous with his time and even his guitars. I got to play anything I wanted and have played three of his bursts. I have a lot of time for the guy. On our second meeting he recognised me right away and greeted me with my first name, which is something I have never been able to manage!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6915
    edited July 2019
    Ossyrocks said:
    I have met and hung out with Joe on a couple of occasions. He’s very down to earth, loves to talk gear and is very generous with his time and even his guitars. I got to play anything I wanted and have played three of his bursts. I have a lot of time for the guy. On our second meeting he recognised me right away and greeted me with my first name, which is something I have never been able to manage!
    You don’t know your own name?!

Great story - I’ve no reason to dislike him and equally never really looked him up before. Seems like a decent bloke to me though the more I hear and read about him.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 789
    He's a phenominally good player and i don't understand the negativity he sometimes gets. He always plays and sounds great even if it's rehash material.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    gordiji said:
    He's a phenominally good player and i don't understand the negativity he sometimes gets. He always plays and sounds great even if it's rehash material.
    I agree. I like his playing, but I can understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. 

He gets a lot of criticism for his singing voice, and he would agree that it was never in the plan when he started out that he become a singer. He had to have a lot of vocal coaching. But, I consider myself a half decent singer/frontman, and when I cover any Joe B track it’s probably harder to get right than anything else I attempt to cover. His pitch, tone and delivery are pretty unique. My wife really likes his voice though and thinks it’s much better than other guitar heroes like Robben Ford or Eric Johnson.
  • I watched JoBo fist time around Year 2000 or so in Germany,and it was just wow,moved to UK and was on his concerts when he played 15-20£ gigs.Very happy for him he became big name in business,he deserve it.Great guitarist.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 880
    I asked him a question about his gear on his website forum ages ago and he was nice enough to reply directly with loads of info
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    He gets a lot of flack, but I think a lot of it is just jealousy. The man can play and he tours a lot, so not a bad life for a guitarists guitarist.

He is really into he gear and a self confessed guitar geek, so essentially he really is just 'one of us'.

I, like everyone else find his constant endorsement deals funny, but it allows him to go and buy what he really wants, which appears to be a lot of vintage guitars. 

All power to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I wonder how he manages to sell out massive expensive shows all over the world when everyone's opinion seems to be "I don't like his music but..."