JoBo Interview

What's Hot

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2812
    He seems a lovely guy and he’s a special guitarist.  Love this...(worth watching the whole thing but solo at about 4 mins)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEHwO_UEp7A
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14497
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    I wonder how he manages to sell out massive expensive shows all over the world when everyone's opinion seems to be "I don't like his music but..."

gordiji said:
    He's a phenominally good player and i don't understand the negativity he sometimes gets. He always plays and sounds great even if it's rehash material.
    Just a matter of taste

But because I don't put him in the land of 'wow' - It doesn't mean I think he is crap - Or any other negative factor - I have respect for him - I admire his ability - But I don't need to have to buy every album and see every tour - I could apply this to JoBo or Hank Marvin - Both have their fans but I'm not one of them

I've never expressed any negative flack about ability, tone etc - My comments have always been about yes they are great but not for me

But as a person I have no bad vibes to offer - I think we'd all like to tour the world playing nice gear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    thebreeze said:
    He seems a lovely guy and he’s a special guitarist.  Love this...(worth watching the whole thing but solo at about 4 mins)

Yep. Classic.

I have seen Beth Hart twice, but never lucky enough to see her with Joe B. But Beth Hart is a must see show if you get the chance. If ever a performer gives it 110% it’s her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2812
    Ossyrocks said:
    thebreeze said:

Yep. Classic.

I have seen Beth Hart twice, but never lucky enough to see her with Joe B. But Beth Hart is a must see show if you get the chance. If ever a performer gives it 110% it’s her.
    She’s next on my list.  I’d love to see her.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14497
    tFB Trader
    Ossyrocks said:
    thebreeze said:

Yep. Classic.

I think it was a posting of yours some months ago on FB that put me in touch with this track
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99LZg18OWg

When he plays like this then I can say I'm a fan - I like his albums with Beth Hart - Which are effectively covers - So maybe part of the issue is that he is  great guitar player, but his songs and vocals are just okay - I'm a Gary Moore fan, yet I would never say his songs and vocals are anything special - But you can apply this to Larry Carlton and a shed load of guitar players - Bob Dylan and John Lennon are great song writers, but nothing to write home about regarding their guitar playing ability - Carl Porter wrote many fine songs, but only a mediocre, at best, as a musician - Ditto Burt Bacharach

But with B Hart - The songs have already been written - He doesn't have to worry about the vocals - He simply devotes everything with the guitar to support the song - When it is JoBo alone,it tends to be more about another riff, intro, solo etc, so much more about the guitar in your face 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Ossyrocks said:
    thebreeze said:

Yep. Classic.

I think it was a posting of yours some months ago on FB that put me in touch with this track

When he plays like this then I can say I'm a fan - I like his albums with Beth Hart - Which are effectively covers - So maybe part of the issue is that he is  great guitar player, but his songs and vocals are just okay - I'm a Gary Moore fan, yet I would never say his songs and vocals are anything special - But you can apply this to Larry Carlton and a shed load of guitar players - Bob Dylan and John Lennon are great song writers, but nothing to write home about regarding their guitar playing ability - Carl Porter wrote many fine songs, but only a mediocre, at best, as a musician - Ditto Burt Bacharach

But with B Hart - The songs have already been written - He doesn't have to worry about the vocals - He simply devotes everything with the guitar to support the song - When it is JoBo alone,it tends to be more about another riff, intro, solo etc, so much more about the guitar in your face 
    I’ve seen him live twice and it’s jaw dropping. He’s a true virtuoso. I think it’s fair to say he’s perhaps released too many albums and therefore diluted his better original work somewhat. I really liked Driving towards the Daylight and Dust Bowl among his original stuff. His recent run of themed cover albums/ blu-rays are excellent, especially the 3 kings and Muddy/ Wolf ones.

SRVs keyboard player doesn’t tour with him for no reason!
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    TINMAN82 said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    thebreeze said:

Yep. Classic.

I’ve seen him live twice and it’s jaw dropping. He’s a true virtuoso. I think it’s fair to say he’s perhaps released too many albums and therefore diluted his better original work somewhat. I really liked Driving towards the Daylight and Dust Bowl among his original stuff. His recent run of themed cover albums/ blu-rays are excellent, especially the 3 kings and Muddy/ Wolf ones.

SRVs keyboard player doesn’t tour with him for no reason!
    Muddy Wolf at Red Rocks is an absolute treat, I can’t watch that DVD enough.
  • edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    I’ve never understood any negativity towards Joe...and this is coming from someone who doesn’t particularly like his musical output. 
    1. The guy can play...you may not like what he does but you can’t deny that.
    2. He inspires people to play guitar...cant see a problem with that.
    3. He seems a nice guy...self deprecating, funny, doesn’t try to force what he does on anyone else. It seems to me if you don’t like him that’s fine with him.
    4. Makes money from what he does...whether that’s endorsements, ticket prices or whatever. Please post the last time you told your boss you didn’t want to make as much money as you could doing your current job.
    5. He own some sweet guitars...I envy him for that but don’t hate him. In fact if he want to invite me round for a jam with his gear then I’m in and I promise not to steal anything. 
    6. Ask yourself if you’re jealous...you said no?!? You’re just some nobody posting on a forum...Try answering again...;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    edited July 2019
    gringopig said:
    Sure. All  true but he's just an efficient blues rock machine. Turn Joe on and out pour the licks. I find his playing deadly dull and soulless to the point of irritation. 
    Then don’t listen to him! There’s plenty of bands/guitarists I find deadly dull and soulless but I don’t listen to them and don’t comment on them. I don’t listen to Joe but I don’t find it necessary to criticise something 1000s of other people enjoy...I’m not the arbiter of taste in this world and I don’t think my opinion is worth shit so why give it?!? 
    ps This is not meant as a dig at you @gringopig ;;, just at the negativity that surrounds Joe...but I will say this as you brought it up...Johnny Hiland does nothing for me, just not my thing. Nothing against Johnny and nothing against you but this is what it comes down to...taste. Johnny can play, he’s a talented guy but it just sounds like country to me and that’s not my bag. Go ahead and post a discussion on how great he is and I won’t be posting on there saying how he’s bland and soulless. JoBo and Johnny are apples and oranges musically as far as I can see anyway and Joe is more famous because, dare I say it...he appeals to more people!?!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    I have never been a big fan of his playing nothing wrong with it but for a long time if you were an older listener you could pretty much knew what he was rehashing. That said in the last 5 years I have found him more coming of age and playing a bit more his own style and I enjoy it more. To the point, I have seriously thought about doing one of the blues cruises and I hate cruises as a holiday. 

As for the rest of the JOBO machine he is making money living the dream and seems to work hard. 

edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    gringopig said:
    gringopig said:
    Sure. All  true but he's just an efficient blues rock machine. Turn Joe on and out pour the licks. I find his playing deadly dull and soulless to the point of irritation. 
    Then don’t listen to him! There’s plenty of bands/guitarists I find deadly dull and soulless but I don’t listen to them and don’t comment on them. I don’t listen to Joe but I don’t find it necessary to criticise something 1000s of other people enjoy...I’m not the arbiter of taste in this world and I don’t think my opinion is worth shit so why give it?!? 
    ps This is not meant as a dig at you @gringopig ;;;, just at the negativity that surrounds Joe...but I will say this as you brought it up...Johnny Hiland does nothing for me, just not my thing. Nothing against Johnny and nothing against you but this is what it comes down to...taste. Johnny can play, he’s a talented guy but it just sounds like country to me and that’s not my bag. Go ahead and post a discussion on how great he is and I won’t be posting on there saying how he’s bland and soulless. JoBo and Johnny are apples and oranges musically as far as I can see anyway and Joe is more famous because, dare I say it...he appeals to more people!?!
    I'll just pretty much do what I want. Cheers!

lol and that absolutely was a dig at me but I can take it. If you think your own opinion isn't worth a shit that's your problem though.
    Honestly mate it wasn’t a dig at you per se although I, reading the post I can understand why you think it is. You’re allowed your opinion and I respect it but I was brought up with if you haven’t got anything nice to say then don’t say it. I’m probably just a bit jaded with the negativity of the Internet age (trump, both sides in Brexit, online bullying etc) and the impunity  to criticise. My opinion is worth a shit...to me, I just don’t feel It’s that important to the rest of the world that you need to know if I disagree unless you specifically ask me. I think that was the flavour of my first post in this thread...and if you read it again you’ll probably see we don’t actually disagree that much on the musical side of the discussion ;)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Can totally understand saying not to criticise someone directly - I agree with that.

But don't see why anyone would want a discussion forum to only have positive opinions said and anything else kept to oneself. If the only threads on the forum were someone posting a positive opinion and any replies saying "I agree" it would be as boring as certain music is to a lot of people...

@edenfield99 - I don't understand your comment that if someone isn't famous then they must be jealous of Joe Bonamassa - are you jealous of every famous person? I suppose it depends what you mean by jealous. I would like to be as good at guitar as JoBo (and anyone who is better than me; or even people who aren't necessarily better but can do certain things better) but there's no negative emotion associated with it. Outside guitar players, though, there are many famous people I have zero desire to be like in any way.
    @thegummy I wasn’t being serious with the jealous part of my post, hence the winky face. Would I like to tour the world playing to thousands of people every night and make a load of money doing it...of course I would. Am I jealous of Joe... no, good luck to the lad, he’s worked hard and deserves his success. He’s better than me and you really don’t want to hear me sing! Do I think anyone who criticises him is jealous of him, also no, it was meant as a bit of a joke after my other points. The ‘you’re just jealous’ theme has been brought up on this forum before and I was just playing with that.  
    And I agree with the fact that if everyone agreed it would make a boring forum but it just seems to be a bit trendy to slag off JB which in itself is a bit boring. We all agree he’s a bit marmite, it’s been discussed a 1000 times before so if you don’t like him fair enough but do you need to tell us/him how rubbish you think he is. At least @gringopig mentioned Johnny Hiland, I went to check him out, not my cup of tea but start a post about how great he is, post some videos  of his extraordinary playing and make him more well known, I’ll have a listen if someone suggests someone new. Yes, some people will say they don’t like him, but then they could post about who they like and we’ll all learn something positive rather than me-no-likely. 
    Like I say, just jaded with what I perceive as the negative aspect of the internet. Not meaning to have a go at anyone personally.
    Anyway, what about that Donald Trump, what a ****!! ;)

edited July 2020
    edited July 2020

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    Btw, to those who say “if you don’t like him, don’t listen to him”

I don’t.

But I can’t avoid the guy because he’s always in the mags, forums etc being interviewed about either his latest album or endorsement deal (usually an endorsement deal).

Yes he can play. No I’m not jealous (money doesn’t interest me, I’m ambivalent about vintage guitars and his music is of no relevance to me). I’m just sick of the constant media whoreing. 

I’d truly love to avoid him. But his brand (the Joe Bonamassa brand) is being shoved down our throats. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    I like the blues, I have tons of records. I bought a couple of his but they just didn't connect with me.

I'm not a fan of his look, the suit/shades/short hair thing. That doesn't affect the music of course, but image is still part of music and I prefer it if I think someone looks cool.