Fender - Mexican v American Strats?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
What, in everyone's opinions, are the differences in quality between the different versions of the standard Strat coming out of Mexico and America over the last, say 10 - 15 years?

Is there a big difference in finishing levels or is it just the hardware, paint and wood?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 225
    The American strats/teles tend to have rolled fingerboard edges which is a big plus for me over their Mexican counterpart. But overall I'd say the Mexican fender quality is right up their with the American stuff, it depends on the individual guitar really.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72845
    My opinion is that there's very little in it in terms of quality, but the guitars are quite different. The US ones are a more modern spec - they seem a bit more heavily-engineered, have a lot of updated features, and look, feel and sound more 'chunky'. The Mex ones are closer to a vintage Fender in many ways - more basic spec, simpler features, not quite as glossy a look, and a more wiry 'classic Fender' feel and sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I'm in a similar quandary. The Mexican player series are described as being almost as good as the old american standard strats, using many of the same tooling and components.

But there's always that ridiculous pull of the "real deal". Doesn't make any sense financially, but you know how it is.

Had a classic player 50's strat and it really was excellent. Better than the American standard I had a few years prior. 
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited July 2019
    Just echoing what’s been said—for me, the difference seems to be mostly how Fender specs the USA vs. Mexican models, rather than where they’re made; the quality seems very close for the most part.

I’m curious to know the percentages of national content for both lines.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 862
    I’ve a Mex Classic body in Candy Apple Red that is for a build project.
    I can’t see how the finish could be any better just by being sprayed a few hundred miles North.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    I have not looked to closely at the latest round but 4 or 5 piece bodies used to be one key difference, also pickups.

I think the recent Andertons comparison video on the lowest price Squire Bullet v a modded pimped up Bullet and MIM.

to save you having to listen to a whole heap verbal blokeyness the simple conclusion was the low rent standard Bullet was far and away the most Strat like in sound.

My personal view is once I am spending above Squire money just shop around for the parts I like to get a bespoke parts-caster put some work in and easily get a lot more bang for my buck

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I have not looked to closely at the latest round but 4 or 5 piece bodies used to be one key difference, also pickups.

I think the recent Andertons comparison video on the lowest price Squire Bullet v a modded pimped up Bullet and MIM.

to save you having to listen to a whole heap verbal blokeyness the simple conclusion was the low rent standard Bullet was far and away the most Strat like in sound.

My personal view is once I am spending above Squire money just shop around for the parts I like to get a bespoke parts-caster put some work in and easily get a lot more bang for my buck

Unless you eventually want to sell it, in which case you might be better dismantling it first. My own experience of building a partscaster was that it became a money pit and I was no happier with the final product than with a well chosen off the shelf model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    I have MIM standard tele it really is excellent it has had a decent setup and a replacement bridge pup but that wasn't a necessity just a want. It simply a great guitar ;)

If was looking for something new right now I'd be drawn to the vintera range regardless of the silly name ;)
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    TINMAN82 said:

Unless you eventually want to sell it, in which case you might be better dismantling it first. My own experience of building a partscaster was that it became a money pit and I was no happier with the final product than with a well chosen off the shelf model.
    Yes totally agree you have to split the parts to get the value back but I felt with the ones i have done I put a lot of time in to the finish details and playability neck and fret feel, you are not going to get that on a Mexican or US standard you are into Custom shop..

The last neck I did for my best friends 60th birthday present he  still raves about the neck feel on that guitar it’s a lot of time burnishing and hand rubbing all aspects of the neck to give a played in not relic context to neck feel. Same with body contours and edges. 

But it’s a big time commitment probably 20 hrs on the neck feel.

that said if you find a Fender you like then go for it just how I like to spend my Fender budget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't owned a Fender for 20+ years but have played a few nevertheless. I recall being impressed by the American Elite Tele, but thought the finishing was 'rough'. It wouldnt have stopped me buying it (it was the string spacing that stopped me buying it).

Mexican models seem on a par to USA to me.
    All of them are superior to the early 70s Fender Strat I used for 25 years. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    I have a Mexican Standard Tele and an American Standard Strat and I would say that American made one is the better guitar but I feel more attached to the Tele and play it just as much.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11488

For me, the only non Custom shop Fenders that I would prefer to the Mexican Classic Series are the American Original, or the AVRIs they replaced.

I much prefer the Classic Series to the American Standards, as they have vintage style bridges and vintage output pickups.

Historically, there have been 3 different Mexican ranges, so they are not all the same.  I prefer the Classic Series to the Classic Player as the Classic Player has the "modern" features that I don't like.  The Standard Series is cheaper and has a few corners cut.  I think the older ones had ceramic magnet pickups.  They don't sound nearly as good without a pickup change.  The newer Standard Series does have alnico magnets in the pickups, and is better.

I'm not entirely up to speed on the latest ranges.  The Vintera (what a stupid name) has replaced the Classic and Classic Player.

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    mexican fenders.....built and assembled by mexicans in mexico,  american fenders.......built and assembled by mexicans in america......... chinese fenders....built and assembled by mexicans in china.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Interesting answers. 

I own a 2008 Mexican Standard Strat which I have modified and really like a lot. I've also got a Chinese Mustang which feels and looks very much like the Japanese Fenders I've tried, the necks seem to have a certain feel to them and the chrome hardware is a particular colour.

If I was to look for another Strat I'd start with a Mexican one based the response to this thread and my own experience.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11488
    Fuengi said:
    Interesting answers. 

I own a 2008 Mexican Standard Strat which I have modified and really like a lot. I've also got a Chinese Mustang which feels and looks very much like the Japanese Fenders I've tried, the necks seem to have a certain feel to them and the chrome hardware is a particular colour.

If I was to look for another Strat I'd start with a Mexican one based the response to this thread and my own experience.

Of course, you could go on TGP and get a lot of "Murica is best" answers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Fuengi said:
    Interesting answers. 

Of course, you could go on TGP and get a lot of "Murica is best" answers.

I'll do that if I buy American and want to confirm my own bias. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • When I decided to get a Strat about 3 years ago, I just had to get an American one... my American Standard has Fat 50's pickups, a set is worth almost £200, making a pick up change less pressing, surely this adds some worth to an US strat over a mexican? To be fair I haven't tried many Mexican strats, but the neck on my strat is wonderfully rolled and super comfortable. Or maybe I've fallen for the Fender marketing!  

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9475
    Fuengi said:

Is there a big difference in finishing levels or is it just the hardware, paint and wood?

Just wood? You can change everything else on a guitar and on a fender you can change the wood, but it’s a more expensive upgrade to quality wood than decent pickups and hardware.
    Im not saying the us wood is better, but I believe its less pieces. Most of the Mexican stuff I’ve had has been 4 or more pieces of wood
    chris78 said:
    Fuengi said:

Just wood? You can change everything else on a guitar and on a fender you can change the wood, but it’s a more expensive upgrade to quality wood than decent pickups and hardware.
    Im not saying the us wood is better, but I believe its less pieces. Most of the Mexican stuff I’ve had has been 4 or more pieces of wood

My Mexican Standard Strat is (lucky) 7 pieces. My Chinese Mustang is three. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72845
    chris78 said:

The American Standards used to be made of what was essentially blockboard! Up to about eight pieces, with veneers both sides.

OK, they did go back to more traditional - usually three-piece - construction in about 2000.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein