Selling / collection advice please

What's Hot
GadgetGadget Frets: 897
edited July 2019 in Guitar
I have just sold my Friedman and the buyer is going to collect.

I’m sure it’s all legit, but I just want to make sure I haven’t left myself open to some kind of scam.

I have been paid via Paypal and the (500+ +ve feedback) buyer is coming to collect in a few days. However, he’s not coming by car or to my house. He’s coming by train and I’m to meet him at the station.

He’s refused the offer of a cardboard box for protection (although it does have a cover) and is apparently going to transport this £2k amp 150 miles across the country by train, on a trolley!

I’m going to do the handover where there is CCTV and will get a receipt signed and/or a photo of the buyer with the amp.

Seems weird though...

(Sorry if it’s anyone on here BTW)
I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6946
    edited July 2019
    If he has paid by regular paypal instead of pp gift he can easily claim he didn't receive it and you will have no proof of postage because they collected it.

I have had this happen and it turned out someone else was using the guy's account. Make sure you see photo id of the guy being the same person on the account. 

In reality after what happened to me i'd refund his PP payment and demand cash on collection. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    soma1975 said:
    If he has paid by regular paypal instead of pp gift he can easily claim he didn't receive it and you will have no proof of postage because they collected it.

I have had this happen and it turned out someone else was using the guy's account. Make sure you see photo id of the guy being the same person on the account. 

In reality after what happened to me i'd refund his PP payment and demand cash on collection. 
    ^^^^ This.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846
    ^ This. STOP NOW.

It may be perfectly legitimate, but if it isn’t you’re in trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I’d personally give him the benefit of the doubt but yes, text in advance and ask him to bring ID and take a photo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9699
    What difference is taking a photo going to make? None whatsoever to PayPal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    I might know who this is. Is his first initial D?
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4228
    This is a common M.O of scam to pay via PayPal, then collect , if no courier is used you can have no proof that is acceptable to PayPal , it can be a bit of a nightmare .
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23392
    I can think of at least 4 times I've met people at railway stations to buy or sell guitars, and it was all fine.  One time the guy turned up with his PRS in a black bin bag.

Not saying you shouldn't be careful, but it could be perfectly legit.  Guitar players are weird.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7842
    edited July 2019
    Is he called Sao Kun by any chance? (London guitarist) if so he's legit and buys these type of heads plus travels by train always.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3493
     I’m going to do the handover where there is CCTV and will get a receipt signed and/or a photo of the buyer with the amp.

Sadly this means fuck all. Did he pay by Paypal gift? If he did then it doesn't matter if you get his signature, fingerprints or not, the money is yours to keep regardless. If by regular Paypal he can always claim it back.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1329
    Is he called Sao Kun by any chance? (London guitarist) if so he's legit and buys these type of heads plus travels by train always.
    He bought my musicman combo off me like 8yrs ago or so. Came from London to Stoke on a train, popped the amp on a trolley, said thanks and that was it, never heard from him again.
    He paid with paypal which I was then ok with but probably wouldn't go for it nowadays.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1744
    He’s already paid you so what’s the issue? 
    Just get on with the deal......
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3314
    I’ve done trades at a station several times. As a before, get a signed receipt of collection and ask to see ID. There is more proof in a uk railway station with their focus on security than there is at the parcelforce sorting centre. Never had a problem.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Ask him to send a kidney as deposit.

He can have it back when the money is in your bank account.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6915
    edited July 2019
    Meeting at the station is fine. The real risk is the  possibility of a PayPal refund claim for an I received item. It’s unlikely but you are completely unprotected.

I did exactly the same with a £500 guitar, refunded the PayPal money and met up at the station and exchanged cash.

The poor bloke was really nice and buying the guitar for his Son. He was very nervous about carrying so much cash around. I felt bad but at the end of the day I’d removed the risk. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Cash on collection. take a pal with you. why would you risk being ripped off at all. Who cares about his/her record or how many deals they've had .This could be the deal they need for a plane ticket etc. You have no way of knowing. Cash on collection for such items imo .Always. Refund him/her give them a discount for their troubles when and only when they hand over the cash.
    If they dont show then relist.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Such a bunch of cynics  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12465
    I met a chap at a train station recently for him to take an amp, only £350 though, he brought a trolley with bungee's.  he paid with cash though, all in £50 notes!
  • Yes you’re leaving yourself open to a PayPal chargeback scam if you do this.

However 99% of these are from the buyer sending a courier or similar for the item. In your case it does sound more like a genuine buyer who really wants the amp.

By all means be aware of the risks but use your own judgement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Cash only on collection, it's all risk and no upside to accepting paypal.

If the guy is legit he'll have no issue with a refund and then cash, if he kicks up a fuss then you know what he was up to.

Please cover your ass and sort it out.