Selling / collection advice please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Gadget said:
    I have just sold my Friedman and the buyer is going to collect.

I’m sure it’s all legit, but I just want to make sure I haven’t left myself open to some kind of scam.

I have been paid via Paypal and the (500+ +ve feedback) buyer is coming to collect in a few days. However, he’s not coming by car or to my house. He’s coming by train and I’m to meet him at the station.

He’s refused the offer of a cardboard box for protection (although it does have a cover) and is apparently going to transport this £2k amp 150 miles across the country by train, on a trolley!

I’m going to do the handover where there is CCTV and will get a receipt signed and/or a photo of the buyer with the amp.

Seems weird though...

(Sorry if it’s anyone on here BTW)
    was this Ebay? Was it a proper paypal sale (not friends and family)?
    if yes stop now and refund you can easily be scammed if you read the paypal rules for seller protection you must post it with tracked and it must be signed for if you allow a buyer to pay paypal and collect you have zero protection.
    A common scenario as stated above buyer pays paypal - collects item - goes home calls paypal tells them he never authorised the payment or hasnt received the goods etc Paypal will automatically refund him, take the money from your account and you are left with sweet FA!
    This happened to me, i did manage to get my money back from the scammer but i tracked him down myself found out where he was etc and had to take matters into my own hands! Paypal will give you zero help!
    Only safe way for collection is cash or bank transfer imo 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    Is he called Sao Kun by any chance? (London guitarist) if so he's legit and buys these type of heads plus travels by train always.
    Yes, that's the guy, so what @Winny_Pooh and @KrisGee say gives me some confidence at least.

Ideally, as many have suggested, I would refund and ask for cash, but stupidly I transferred the money straight into paying-off my credit card and I don't have enough cash in my current account to refund from there.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7169
    Gadget said:

I’m sure it’s all legit, but I just want to make sure I haven’t left myself open to some kind of scam.

I have been paid via Paypal and the (500+ +ve feedback) buyer is coming to collect in a few days. However, he’s not coming by car or to my house. He’s coming by train and I’m to meet him at the station.

He’s refused the offer of a cardboard box for protection (although it does have a cover) and is apparently going to transport this £2k amp 150 miles across the country by train, on a trolley!

I’m going to do the handover where there is CCTV and will get a receipt signed and/or a photo of the buyer with the amp.

Seems weird though...

This happened to me, i did manage to get my money back from the scammer but i tracked him down myself found out where he was etc and had to take matters into my own hands! 
    Wow that must've took some balls, what happened?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Gadget said:
    Is he called Sao Kun by any chance? (London guitarist) if so he's legit and buys these type of heads plus travels by train always.
    Yes, that's the guy, so what @Winny_Pooh and @KrisGee say gives me some confidence at least.

Ideally, as many have suggested, I would refund and ask for cash, but stupidly I transferred the money straight into paying-off my credit card and I don't have enough cash in my current account to refund from there.
    If he's a known good guy just dont worry about it, let him collect the amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    Looks like amps at stations might be his thing LOL

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    If the buyer is a known and trusted individual who can be easily traced the chances of something going wrong are much lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ColsCols Frets: 7191
    I can see anyone being slightly reluctant to walk around with two grand in their back pocket, whether it’s meeting at a railway station or going to a complete stranger’s house.

In any case the buyer is known and trusted within the forum for dealing in this way.  For me, this is a fantastic example of the value of this community.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2707
    Gadget said:
    Looks like amps at stations might be his thing LOL

This is a madman's game
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 635
    His pictures are hilarious – make sure he gets one of your amp! Imagine pulling into the station in a crowded train to see this waiting to board:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    tony99 said:
    Gadget said:

Seems weird though...

This happened to me, i did manage to get my money back from the scammer but i tracked him down myself found out where he was etc and had to take matters into my own hands! 
    Wow that must've took some balls, what happened?
    Yeah what happened?!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    Cols said:
    I can see anyone being slightly reluctant to walk around with two grand in their back pocket, whether it’s meeting at a railway station or going to a complete stranger’s house.

In any case the buyer is known and trusted within the forum for dealing in this way.  For me, this is a fantastic example of the value of this community.
    With in-person deals over a certain value, I offer to do an instant transfer on my phone after looking over whatever I'm buying. Much better than carrying around a wad.