Iphone 7 or newer model?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Why did phones get bigger? I thought the idea was to get them as small as possible,

I have a 4s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18750
    Philtre said:
    Why did phones get bigger? I thought the idea was to get them as small as possible,

I have a 4s.
    Ask any prison governor their views on phone size reduction...
    4S were very good phones too.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

The 7 is probably the sweet spot in the Apple range and will be good for a fair few years.  I have a 6 and 7, the 7 is much quicker but my 6 is fine for now.  The 7 is my work phone.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I bought a 7 plus last year. The camera is brilliant and I actually like the bigger size. As far as I could see at the time there was no difference between the 7 and 8 apart from the 8 having a glass back and wireless charging, neither of which I wanted. The X’s have improved screens and faster processors but don’t seem significantly better than the 7, especially considering how much more they cost. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    edited July 2019
    Philtre said:

I have a 4s.
    I really liked the 4S and at the time I thought I didn't want a bigger one even than that, but I have to say the slightly *taller* (not wider) SE was what made it perfect.

My 4S actually still works, but not as a phone... I occasionally use it as an iPod, although it's only a 16GB one. It lasted almost five years though, whereas my SE died after about 18 months :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Philtre said:

I have a 4s.
    I really liked the 4S and at the time I thought I didn't want a bigger one even than that, but I have to say the slightly *taller* (not wider) SE was what made it perfect.

My 4S actually still works, but not as a phone... I occasionally use it as an iPod, although it's only a 16GB one. It lasted almost five years though, whereas my SE died after about 18 months :(.
    18 months is a bummer, Apple products are usually pretty well made (in my experience).
     Mine just hit the 24 month mark doing fine, but having just looked as a result of this thread, guess what? 
    Those complete & utter bastards at EE (other complete & utter bastards are available) haven't gone to the trouble of informing me that I'm now out of fucking contract. *Note to all admins/devs. We really need a better set of emoticons, including a monumentally pissed off fuming image. 
    I'm currently recovering from my second lousy cold in 10 weeks (2 year old god daughter, a beautiful creature but a regular walking petri dish).
     I will have my vengeance on this provider, or the next!!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    ICBM said:
    Philtre said:

I have a 4s.

18 months is a bummer, Apple products are usually pretty well made (in my experience).
     Mine just hit the 24 month mark doing fine, but having just looked as a result of this thread, guess what? 
    Those complete & utter bastards at EE (other complete & utter bastards are available) haven't gone to the trouble of informing me that I'm now out of fucking contract. *Note to all admins/devs. We really need a better set of emoticons, including a monumentally pissed off fuming image. 
    I'm currently recovering from my second lousy cold in 10 weeks (2 year old god daughter, a beautiful creature but a regular walking petri dish).
     I will have my vengeance on this provider, or the next!!

Most providers don't bother telling you that your contract has ended, it'll just keep rolling over until you realise.  
    Never had this happen in the past with phone renewals, maybe I have been lucky up till now.
    Hey ho, another windmill to tilt at  ;)
    Kittyfrisk said:

Even more annoying, if it had died a couple of months earlier I could have got a new SE as a straight replacement on the spot... still, the 7 is a nice phone, even if it’s just very slightly too wide to hold as comfortably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    7 arrived today and it is noticeably bigger and not as comfy to hold but I’ve had the plus models in the past and it feels a reasonable compromise.   I can’t say it’s any faster than the SE, maybe a little more responsive but it’s nice to have a new phone instead of the tired looking old one and should last me until apple release a new model with features I actually need instead of gimmicks.  Very happy with it.   
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    I’ve dropped my iPhone 7 twice in the last fortnight. Tonight has completely finished it! 

Depending on repair cost I’d be happy going back to an SE - great phones.

Anyone got experience of having the screen replaced and an idea of cost with a 7?

Is it a DIY job?

Cheers  
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    I’ve dropped my iPhone 7 twice in the last fortnight. Tonight has completely finished it! 
    That's exactly why I like flip covers. Deeply uncool, old-man accessories that they are... they actually protect the phone properly. I couldn't imagine using a 7 without a cover - they're like a bar of soap, mine very nearly shot out of my hand in the shop as I was putting the Sim card in! Neither the Vodafone shop or the Apple Store even had flip covers in stock - luckily I found a little one-man phone repair business on the way home that did. Probably miles cheaper too...

Yeah I always avoided cases because I don’t tend to wear coats much or carry bags so like a slim profile to drop into my trouser pocket. Unfortunately I’m now paying the price.

Interestingly neither drop was a result of the phone being slippy - tonight it was knocked off a shelf onto a wooden floor.

Iamnobody said:
    Yeah I always avoided cases because I don’t tend to wear coats much or carry bags so like a slim profile to drop into my trouser pocket. Unfortunately I’m now paying the price.

Interestingly neither drop was a result of the phone being slippy - tonight it was knocked off a shelf onto a wooden floor.

£60 on the High Street for a new screen. Seems ok although colours are not quite as bright and vibrant as the original. I assume that’s down to cheap non original parts.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited July 2019
    Iamnobody said:

£60 on the High Street for a new screen. Seems ok although colours are not quite as bright and vibrant as the original. I assume that’s down to cheap non original parts.
    I hope it lasts for you; I've seen iPhones fail miserably because of third-party parts. Going down that route also voids any warranty you have with Apple, so they won't look at it if any problems occur further down the line