Top Gun 2 Maverick

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12381
    Missus munckee has already said we will be in the pictures the week it comes out.  I remember my brother and I going halves on the soundtrack on cassette in 86.  Being the younger brother my half bought me a taped copy of course as I wasn't allowed in his room to get the original!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    octatonic said:
    Tom is looking pretty jacked, as the Americans say.
    Had a lot of 'work' too, I guess.
    He looks much better in his mid to late films compared to his younger days. I'd say he's aged well so far!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11789
    I'm glad they have gone with F-18Es as opposed to F-35Cs, bit less self-consciously modern (plus a lot more available, so less CGI).

Not sure where the F-14 at the end would come from though, flashback sequence I guess.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    If you need to recap on the first one this is brilliant

https://youtu.be/UxFq16IG_k0

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Not sure where the F-14 at the end would come from though, flashback sequence I guess.
    My guess is some techno glitch/attack that grounds the modern high tech stuff, so it needs an old school pilot in an old school plane to beat the baddies, whilst looking cool in mirrored shades.

My guess is some techno glitch/attack that grounds the modern high tech stuff, so it needs an old school pilot in an old school plane to beat the baddies, whilst looking cool in mirrored shades.
    It's a thought...

The F-14 to this day remains a very fine fighter aircraft, in fact I suspect the remaining Iranian ones would be a high-priority to get rid of at the start of any US-Iran dust-up.

The USN always wanted to rebuild them to be right up-to-date.  They currently have only the F-18E and F-35C to rely on, and both would be facing a tough fight against the latest Russian or Chinese stealth fighters (although the USN has hundreds of their types, the the Russians and Chinese will only ever have a few dozen of theirs).
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    The F-14 was a very expensive deathtrap. It's crash record is pretty appalling. And the swing wing added lots of complexity - the Tomcat spent a lot of down time being serviced.

I mean, it looks really fucking cool and everything, but it killed a hell of a lot of pilots.

The F-14 was a very expensive deathtrap. It's crash record is pretty appalling. And the swing wing added lots of complexity - the Tomcat spent a lot of down time being serviced.

I mean, it looks really fucking cool and everything, but it killed a hell of a lot of pilots.
    The F-18 is certainly a far superior aircraft practically for what the USN actually do these days.

Talk of bringing back the F-14 is fairly daft, people just miss the past is all.

The recent story of an F-35 from Israel going on a totally un-noticed trip through Iranian airspace seems to show the way forwards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    axisus said:
    octatonic said:
    He looks much better in his mid to late films compared to his younger days. I'd say he's aged well so far!

You would then?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    CHRISB50 said:
    axisus said:
    octatonic said:

You would then?
    I have no problem if anyone fancies men, although it's not my thing personally. I'm more the kind who is jealous of good looking blokes, not being much of a looker myself. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3698
    Saw it last night. The original was a staple of mine in my "flying" years and went in with mixed expectations.

Wasn't disappointed, a truly excellent film with plenty of nods to its predecessor, well worth watching.

Would be interested to hear the take on someone not familiar with the original.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    drofluf said:

Would be interested to hear the take on someone not familiar with the original.
    Im familiar with it, just never watched it all the way through due to it being a load of komodo shite
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    octatonic said:
    That's probably down to the auditing. He's a Level 7 Operating Thetan so you would expect him to be fairly buff. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3675
    But do the naval air combat scenes beat the pinnacle achieved in..

https://youtu.be/vfrh9PtLoZ8

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3698

Haven't seen that one but the air-to-air action was pretty impressive
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4178

I love this film ,it bears repeated watching 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1846
    Yep, a classic.
  • drofluf said:

Haven't seen that one but the air-to-air action was pretty impressive
    It's pretty spectacular. Look out for the segment at about 4:20 - according the aircrew, it wasn't as low as it looks on film.

I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    We went to see TG Maverick on Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes - it's full of clichés- just like 1st one - but ticks all the boxes and flying scenes are spectacular on big screen and with proper sound. 
    Good cinema movie. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3333
    edited June 2022
    Never seen the original but saw it last night and it was fun. Very homoerotic and made me want to grow a moustache. once you see Tom Cruises mono tooth, you can’t unsee it. Same with his wonky eyes. The wife loved it.