Coincidence?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    munckee said:
    57Deluxe said:
    Many years ago I phoned a shop in the West Midlands, as they had a Space Echo for sale. They told me it was on consignment and that the guy who owned it would call me later.

Anyway, he phoned and said, "I noticed that you have an 01480 number. You don't happen to live in St Neots, by any chance?"

"Yes", I replied, "Eynesbury, to be precise."

"What a coincidence! My sister lives in Eynesbury and I'll be visiting her tomorrow. What street do you live in?"

"Howitt's Gardens"

"You're joking! My sister lives in Howitt's Gardens!"

And so I had a Space Echo delivered to me the next day by a lovely bloke who became a good friend. Weird how some things work out.
    eh? I expected this to be that you bought from yourself from a parallel Universe or that your Sister played guitar better than you and you were in total denial....
    Everyone plays guitar better than me!
    I don't.
    What a coincidence, nor do I.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader

After A-level fuckup I decide last minute to go to a college in Norwich to retake. Just me at the gates and a girl. We get talking, become friends, go for drinks etc as mates over next year or two.

Later I move north for about 5 yrs. Then move to London with band. Hook up with an old skool mate who has a flatmate, call him Bob. We all become mates. Bob is engaged, and turns out it's the college gate girl. So there's co-inky-dinky #1

Later Bob+girl get married. Me and my girlfriend are stood in the party hall and sat next to us is a little old lady, in her 80s. She keeps looking at my g/f and after a bit says "I know you from somewhere", so we start talking. My gf's Dad was a doctor, and when she was three to about five yrs old used to take her on his rounds, in Hull. This lady was one of his patients.. and she remembered my gf as a small kid...

Another one of my gf, she's from Yorkshire, and moved to work in Oxford. She got a postcard from Oz one day signed by a friend from Yorks and one from Oxford ... they'd met by chance in a pub in Australia, got talking and both realised they knew my gf.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    I also had a strange meeting somewhere outside Banff, Canada - we'd decided to walk up to Sulphur Mountain, which is not far away. However, it's not *that* close either - we'd misread the map, which showed it a mile or so beyond the edge of the town, but missed the bit at the bottom that said "not to scale"... it's actually several miles. It then started to rain... after about an hour we realised we'd not got there, and thought we must have taken the wrong road. We had another look at the map and spotted the crucial bit, but now had no idea how far it was going to be.

While we were standing discussing whether to go on or back, another couple came around a bend in the road, also looking lost. They asked us where we were going, and it turned out they'd made the same mistake - but we were now sure we were on the right road, so we decided to go on anyway, and it wasn't too much longer before we did actually get there. We'd got talking to them in the mean time - they were Irish, but it turned out that the woman's sister worked in the same office as MrsICBM in Edinburgh...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited July 2019
    I used to watch Bullseye quite a bit when I was younger. I went away to University, in Lancaster. One night, in the second year, we were huddled together in the Park Hotel, each of us nursing a really expensive pint (srs, must have been at least 90p), when someone told us there was a jazz band playing upstairs. So up we went, to check out this band, for a bit of fun. Who should be making a guest "singing" appearance - it was Jim Bowen! It must have been 5 years since I last watched Bullseye. I needed the toilet, and as I walked in the door and settled at a urinal, it was only Jim Bowen standing next to me! He had a massive beer gut. Now, over 30 years later, I'm starting to get that same beer gut!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    edited July 2019
    I bought a Fender fretless P bass back in 1978 from Kingfisher Music in Fleet. I saved for months and months and it was my first pro-brand instrument I ever bought. In the following five years I modded it heavily. The fingerboard was extended into the body up to the pickup by a mandolin luthier I knew who also fitted a Jazz bass bridge pickup and added a volume pot whose aluminium knob he turned himself. The final icing was a Leo Quan Badass bridge. 
    This was a pretty unique instrument which I loved but in 1983 had to sell the bass to make a mortgage payment when I hit a painful financial blip in the road.

I was gutted and always regretted having to sell it. Man, that burned me for years.

Anyway it's 2014 and bass-less me decides randomly to drop onto eBay to find a cheap fretless bass for my home record needs...and what's the first bass I see listed..my customised fretless! I recognised it straight away and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Additionally, because of all the mods I'd had added in those early days, the price being asked was a fraction of what a mint 78 P bass would be.

So reader I finally got it back after 31 years lost. 1 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    edited July 2019
    Walking through Yeovil one day when I met a manager and his wife from my work, said hello and. Arrived on. Next day manager said to me is your Mrs maiden name so and so I said yes, why? Him and his wife both recognised her from primary school which is where they last saw her in 70's 

• fobfob Frets: 1430

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    I met Jimmy Page at a record fair and we had a brief chat (nice bloke!); I showed him the Ten Years After album I'd just bought and he said great album.

A week later Alvin Lee died.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    equalsql said:
    I bought a Fender fretless P bass back in 1978 from Kingfisher Music in Fleet. I saved for months and months and it was my first pro-brand instrument I ever bought. In the following five years I modded it heavily. The fingerboard was extended into the body up to the pickup by a mandolin luthier I knew who also fitted a Jazz bass bridge pickup and added a volume pot whose aluminium knob he turned himself. The final icing was a Leo Quan Badass bridge. 
    This was a pretty unique instrument which I loved but in 1983 had to sell the bass to make a mortgage payment when I hit a painful financial blip in the road.

I was gutted and always regretted having to sell it. Man, that burned me for years.

Anyway it's 2014 and bass-less me decides randomly to drop onto eBay to find a cheap fretless bass for my home record needs...and what's the first bass I see listed..my customised fretless! I recognised it straight away and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Additionally, because of all the mods I'd had added in those early days, the price being asked was a fraction of what a mint 78 P bass would be.

I lost one bass and I haven't got it back yet.

It was in Mansfield and called The Hooker; it was made by someone in a band with one of my mates and comprised a fretless fingerboard all the way from nut to bridge, with 4 holes in it for the pickup pole pieces to poke through. The wings were black extended pointy flame-shaped and the headstock was also pointy with a chip off the end.

It was left behind in a house move and I never saw it again.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    My wife is meeting an old friend tomorrow to see the friend's new flat.

"Where's the new flat?" I asked.

"A village called ****" she replied

"Oh what's the address?"

"Some old school I think, let me look it up"

Turns out it's my old primary school!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    equalsql said:
    I bought a Fender fretless P bass back in 1978 from Kingfisher Music in Fleet.....<edit>

...sadly what you can never get back is a visit to Kingfisher Music as they are no more... For a large amount of my gear - synths, Cubases, Synth modules, drum modules, Guitars, amps and sundries, I was an avid customer. I spent whole Saturday mornings in there trying gear, chatting with staff and watching out customers and basically reveling in the hub bub.The tech guys were top drawer and they would match or better any deal, so they got all my custom in that 80s time slot.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ^^ Yes, they were the major store in the south-east outside of London long before places like Andertons and Guitar Village were significant. Their whole-page ads in the guitar mags represented just about the best gear you could buy at that time. Like @57Deluxe I was a very frequent visitor and bought loads of stuff from them. A shame they faded away but they certainly had their day.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    Use them or lose them. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Two hours in bank holiday traffic and now arrived at our destination. The woman on reception is someone I worked with and got made redundant with me three years ago. 
    Do I win a prize? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Two hours in bank holiday traffic and now arrived at our destination. The woman on reception is someone I worked with and got made redundant with me three years ago. 
    Do I win a prize? 
    Did you get an upgrade ?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    sev112 said:
    Do I win a prize? 
    Did you get an upgrade ?

It's a fully booked campsite so not much she could do. Very odd though to see her here, she's given up 'normal' day jobs to alternate working as a campsite warden and months in Portugal in her motorhome.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    When I was about 16, I had a girlfriend who had a penpal she'd kept in touch with; a girl with a fairly distinct name who was into the same kind of music, interests etc as us, and who lived in a particular south coast seaside village.

10 years later, having forgotten all about this, I have met, and started a relationship with, a woman with a fairly distinct name who lived in a particular seaside village. One day she mentions something that triggered my memory of the penpal thing, and sure enough it was her.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I used to watch Bullseye quite a bit when I was younger. I went away to University, in Lancaster. One night, in the second year, we were huddled together in the Park Hotel, each of us nursing a really expensive pint (srs, must have been at least 90p), when someone told us there was a jazz band playing upstairs. So up we went, to check out this band, for a bit of fun. Who should be making a guest "singing" appearance - it was Jim Bowen! It must have been 5 years since I last watched Bullseye. I needed the toilet, and as I walked in the door and settled at a urinal, it was only Jim Bowen standing next to me! He had a massive beer gut. Now, over 30 years later, I'm starting to get that same beer gut!
    He used to live in a disused railway station just north of Lancaster. He was a regular in a few local pubs.