Teeny Hi-Fi Amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    @Monquixote a DAC, however good it's name is, is not the same as a lightbulb.  Most DACs use the same or similar chips, it is how they are programmed that is the difference.  I would expect that DACs for computer installation use very basic programs.  And as has been stated: the amount of noise and crud from adjoining circuitry does not help.

To be fair, the built in DAC and headphone output combination into an old hi-fi amp plus speakers is good enough for replay of online videos etc.  Simply add an external DAC with USB into that same amp/speakers combination and you will hear a significant improvement in sound.  The headphone output will get you started though.....  

Most consumer DACs are ASICs so they aren't programmed to any significant degree. (Also if they were Apple have the worlds best programmers at their disposal)
    It's usually only the high end stuff like Chord and Linn that have stuff implemented on an FPGA.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    I thought Macbooks did optical through the 3.5mm jack? Or have they dropped it on latest ones. I'm pretty sure my 2013 MBP does.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    I thought Macbooks did optical through the 3.5mm jack? Or have they dropped it on latest ones. I'm pretty sure my 2013 MBP does.
    Yes, they dropped it in 2015 as part of their drive to make Macs worse.