Oh god I hate PCs - I'd forgotten how much

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18816
    roberty said:
    ^  @guitartango   And when doing a Comp.Studies course, I wrote a BASIC random number generator programme that then did 3 different sort routines (insertion, selection & bubble) before printing out the results.
    My Atari 1040STE did it so fast that I thought I'd written it wrong. I had to increase the numbers generated by a factor of 100 just to show it was actually working and it still took under a minute.
    386 PC that we were using on the course ( OK for the time, 1980's), took 20 odd minutes using the exact same code.
    I had to bring my Atari in, along with a friends Amiga, to prove to the lecturer that it was true 
     That would have been the interpreter/compiler. GWBASIC and particularly QBASIC were pretty high level and interpreted. I'm guessing it was pretty much native on the Atari.
    Yep, that's true & a great implementation it was. 
    But in my defence, I did get a lot more sex due to such time saving aspects  ;) :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:
    ^  @guitartango   And when doing a Comp.Studies course, I wrote a BASIC random number generator programme that then did 3 different sort routines (insertion, selection & bubble) before printing out the results.
    My Atari 1040STE did it so fast that I thought I'd written it wrong. I had to increase the numbers generated by a factor of 100 just to show it was actually working and it still took under a minute.
    386 PC that we were using on the course ( OK for the time, 1980's), took 20 odd minutes using the exact same code.
    I had to bring my Atari in, along with a friends Amiga, to prove to the lecturer that it was true 
     That would have been the interpreter/compiler. GWBASIC and particularly QBASIC were pretty high level and interpreted. I'm guessing it was pretty much native on the Atari.
    Yep, that's true & a great implementation it was. 
    But in my defence, I did get a lot more sex due to such time saving aspects  ;) :)

I learnt GWBASIC for the pussy, but surprisingly it never materialised. Now I just talk about it with strangers online at 1am
    Goodnight, and may your god go with you  ;)
    Zzzz
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited July 2019
    edited July 2019
    edited July 2019
    edited July 2019
    I've always built my own PCs. First one was back in the late 90s with windows 98se.
    Most recently 2014 i built a Silent (fanless) PC which sits under the telly as a media server for the house. Runs win10 and its been faultess as have all the computers ive spec'd and built myself.

Retail computers are full of crap software.

A clean OS install on a fresh HDD is the way to go.
    I agree with that but I think with SDD prices being what they are, putting in a new SDD and installing your OS on that makes a difference.  
    I suspect that lordoxygen means a freshly formatted disk, rather than recommending an HDD over an SSD, which you correctly point out are getting nice and cheap.
    Yes, that is what I mean. the price of SSD these days makes them a no brainer.

edited July 2019
    Sorry about that, for some reason yesterday evening the forum wasn't showing anything i posted (from my phone), as you can see i tried about 5 times.

I went to bed before midnight, so the software decided to post everything in 1 go during the night.

Weird.

A little too much ejaculation there M'Lord?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    A lot of people say that Macs are overpriced compared to a PC, but that is a bit of a myth, largely due to Apple not offering budget models.

I just priced up a MacBook Pro against a similarly spec'd Dell 7520 and the Dell costs more.

Of course, you can go to PC World and buy an i3 with a plastic case and non-HD display for a few hundred quid and if that's what you're after then you've made the right choice, but it's a bit like buying a Squier Affinity and saying you don't understand why anybody could possibly need a USA Custom Shop Strat.

Me, the reason I don't like Macs is their human-computer interface (HCI) - their keyboards, mice, and trackpads are missing features which I need; it's a deal-breaker for me.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    prowla said:
    A lot of people say that Macs are overpriced compared to a PC, but that is a bit of a myth, largely due to Apple not offering budget models.

I just priced up a MacBook Pro against a similarly spec'd Dell 7520 and the Dell costs more.

Of course, you can go to PC World and buy an i3 with a plastic case and non-HD display for a few hundred quid and if that's what you're after then you've made the right choice, but it's a bit like buying a Squier Affinity and saying you don't understand why anybody could possibly need a USA Custom Shop Strat.

Me, the reason I don't like Macs is their human-computer interface (HCI) - their keyboards, mice, and trackpads are missing features which I need; it's a deal-breaker for me.

I suspect that you could get a lot better price by getting an off the shelf laptop rather than speccing one up on that Dell site.

It also depends what you are doing.  If all you are doing is surfing the web and watching YouTube, you don't need a £2k laptop.  It is only a very small minority of people who need a laptop at that end of the market.  4 years ago, I bought my wife a laptop for £285.  It's got an older i3, but for what she needs it's fine, and it has a 15" screen.  I think the cheapest MacBook would have been well over double that price at the time, with a smaller screen.

You do pay a lot for the Aluminium body, and the light up keyboard (with keys on the wrong place) on a Mac.  They are nice, but they don't make it any faster.  It's several years ago now, but when I bought a MacBook Pro, I could have bought a PC laptop with the same processor, same amount of memory,  same sized hard drive, and same sized screen for about 40% of the price.  Admittedly the MBP had a much better screen, and much better internal speakers, but it was definitely overpriced.  I had no alternative though if I wanted to run Logic.

A laptop isn't a lifetime purchase.  Historically, it's 6 to 8 years at best.  Desktops can last longer as they can be upgraded more easily, and are more powerful in the first place.  The pace of development is slowing down, so if you buy a high end one now it might have a longer shelf life, but even if it lasts 10 years, it's still not a lifetime purchase.  That's where the analogy with the Custom Shop Strat falls down.  I'd rather spend £2k on a guitar and £500 on a laptop than the other way around.  In 10 years time, you still have a great guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    TimmyO said:
    I think the most surprising thing is that some of you have seen a vagina in real life 
    And some of us have seen more than one at once in real life. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    crunchman said:
    prowla said:

I suspect that you could get a lot better price by getting an off the shelf laptop rather than speccing one up on that Dell site.

It also depends what you are doing.  If all you are doing is surfing the web and watching YouTube, you don't need a £2k laptop.  It is only a very small minority of people who need a laptop at that end of the market.  4 years ago, I bought my wife a laptop for £285.  It's got an older i3, but for what she needs it's fine, and it has a 15" screen.  I think the cheapest MacBook would have been well over double that price at the time, with a smaller screen.

You do pay a lot for the Aluminium body, and the light up keyboard (with keys on the wrong place) on a Mac.  They are nice, but they don't make it any faster.  It's several years ago now, but when I bought a MacBook Pro, I could have bought a PC laptop with the same processor, same amount of memory,  same sized hard drive, and same sized screen for about 40% of the price.  Admittedly the MBP had a much better screen, and much better internal speakers, but it was definitely overpriced.  I had no alternative though if I wanted to run Logic.

A laptop isn't a lifetime purchase.  Historically, it's 6 to 8 years at best.  Desktops can last longer as they can be upgraded more easily, and are more powerful in the first place.  The pace of development is slowing down, so if you buy a high end one now it might have a longer shelf life, but even if it lasts 10 years, it's still not a lifetime purchase.  That's where the analogy with the Custom Shop Strat falls down.  I'd rather spend £2k on a guitar and £500 on a laptop than the other way around.  In 10 years time, you still have a great guitar.

Well, if you are saying you don't need a high-end machine, then you're free to shop in the budget range; there's no harm in that, of course, but it's not like-for-like.

The screen size may be the same (eg. 15") on a £400 jobby, but it won't have the same resolution (ie. detail); a lot of the budget ones don't even have as good a resolution as your telly (ie. 1920x1080).

Similarly with the case/body; I've had to repair laptops whose hinges have disintegrated because they're just plastic with a little brass insert.

I've got a cheap laptop and an ageing Dell workstation thing with an i7, 32 GB RAM, 2 SSD drives, and it's a bit of a monster (but it's still only got a 1920x1080 display); it's a bit chunky compared to a Mac, though.

As with a lot of things, you have to pay a lot more for the finer details.

Me, as I've said, I find the keyboards on the Mac annoy me, probably to the point of turning me off the product. However, if I were to be looking for a laptop, I'd be looking for the standard of the Mac.

Yes, I agree the guitar analogy only goes so far (as do all analogies, really); you could similarly contrast cars: a Cee'd will get you from A to B just fine, but there are heck of a lot of more expensive cars on the road, or maybe a Rolex vs. a Swatch, Primark vs. Armani, a bluetooth speaker vs. a Naim hi-fi, etc.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    prowla said:
    a £400 jobby
    Someone has pooped at Euston...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited July 2019
    The main thing I dislike about Windows is the constantly forced updates - only because of the surprise reboots every now and then. Really annoys me.

But otherwise I think it's an exceptional OS. Much better than Win7 and Win8, and it brings Windows to parity with OSX ... erm... Snow Leopard. lmao.

Seriously, every version of OSX since 10.6 has just made it even more dogshit over time. Ah well. They had a good run.

Linux just isn't a serious option for anything related to audio or video production, and it never will be because there is no money in making software for Linux. Nerds do it out of some sort of loyalty, but big business pretty much ignores it in terms of the end customer. So that's why I've never jumped into it. Yes there are options to replace Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, et al. And yes there are options to replace Premiere Pro, Final Cut, and Resolve. And yes there are ways to run VST's on Linux.

But fuck that. I wanna turn a computer on and make stuff.

I suspect OP's problem is he bought an off the shelf unit from PC World or the like, which sometimes can have hardware incompatibilities and the like. I would always build my own from scratch personally. ymmv.
    Yeah I'm the same. Was quite interested when I saw Resolve works on Linux, then saw how much of a ball ache it looks to install, set up Nvidia drivers etc and decided I'd stick with Windows. I've tried to like Linux in the past but each of the versions I tried (Ubuntu, mint and something else) looked and felt like a fisher price toy OS so I always ended up going back to Windows. If there's one that doesn't feel quite so rank I might try it on my laptop again as it's win7 because 10 ran like crap on it. 

If I manage to get some more freelance video work in I'll be building myself up a Win10 beast editing rig. The only time I'll use a Mac is if someone else (ie work) is willing to pay for it.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4643
    In my experience 10 is actually faster than7
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    On a good PC maybe - my laptop is awful :)
    10 is better than I was expecting, it seem solid. 
    I don't like the apps and the start menu (can tell it's been designed by millennials brought up with smartphones and apps)  Thankfully classic shell can change all that back to normal. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625
    TTBZ said:
    The main thing I dislike about Windows is the constantly forced updates - only because of the surprise reboots every now and then. Really annoys me.

But otherwise I think it's an exceptional OS. Much better than Win7 and Win8, and it brings Windows to parity with OSX ... erm... Snow Leopard. lmao.

Seriously, every version of OSX since 10.6 has just made it even more dogshit over time. Ah well. They had a good run.

Linux just isn't a serious option for anything related to audio or video production, and it never will be because there is no money in making software for Linux. Nerds do it out of some sort of loyalty, but big business pretty much ignores it in terms of the end customer. So that's why I've never jumped into it. Yes there are options to replace Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, et al. And yes there are options to replace Premiere Pro, Final Cut, and Resolve. And yes there are ways to run VST's on Linux.

But fuck that. I wanna turn a computer on and make stuff.

I suspect OP's problem is he bought an off the shelf unit from PC World or the like, which sometimes can have hardware incompatibilities and the like. I would always build my own from scratch personally. ymmv.
    Yeah I'm the same. Was quite interested when I saw Resolve works on Linux, then saw how much of a ball ache it looks to install, set up Nvidia drivers etc and decided I'd stick with Windows. I've tried to like Linux in the past but each of the versions I tried (Ubuntu, mint and something else) looked and felt like a fisher price toy OS so I always ended up going back to Windows. If there's one that doesn't feel quite so rank I might try it on my laptop again as it's win7 because 10 ran like crap on it. 

If I manage to get some more freelance video work in I'll be building myself up a Win10 beast editing rig. The only time I'll use a Mac is if someone else (ie work) is willing to pay for it.
    Installing NVIDIA drivers is easier on Ubuntu than it is on Windows. Literally click Software and Drivers, choose the NVIDIA driver, put your password in and it downloads and installs it for you. Takes about two minutes, tops.

Then download Resolve, install it, and choose the GPU acceleration the same way you would in the Windows version.

That's it. Far quicker and easier than doing the same job in OS X or Windows.

Also...looking at Resolve performance, it's actually some 20-30% faster at rendering under Linux than it is under Windows (mainly because Linux is better at threading). Linux Mint is probably the one you'd want to go for if you wanted to, although Ubuntu is much better now than it ever was (now that they've ditched Unity).
    <space for hire>