Help with outside render

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
Found out my lintol has gone up above the front door ...I have a friend coming to sort it out but there will be damage to my render on the front 

Unfortunately the render I need they have stopped supplying , does anybody have any ideas what options I have ...was thinking of a canopy to fit over but not keen on them 

Was thinking maybe decorative render it already has bands around the doors 

Any ideas anyone ...can't find anything on internet 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    This thread needs a picture.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    This thread needs a picture.
    Your right :) ..I will do a bit cos don't know how to upload pics 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited July 2019
    What's that I can see in the hole?

And that's not likely to be the lintel, just a render over the top of it. Beware of "mates" who aren't actually familiar with old fashioned building techniques. That style of render is 1920-1950's

Need an angle grinder with a fine narrow blade to cut at the joint between the brown and pebbles if it really has to come off. Underneath is likely to be either a brick arch or a precast concrete lintel which is very unlikely to have cracked. Do not rush into something which will cause a lot more work down the line. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    hywelg said:

And that's not likely to be the lintel, just a render over the top of it. Beware of "mates" who aren't actually familiar with old fashioned building techniques. That style of render is 1920-1950's

Need an angle grinder with a fine narrow blade to cut at the joint between the brown and pebbles if it really has to come off. Underneath is likely to be either a brick arch or a precast concrete lintel which is very unlikely to have cracked. Do not rush into something which will cause a lot more work down the line. 
    I agree.  A little bit more investigation required.  Unlikely to need a new lintel in my opinion too.
    edited July 2019
    hywelg said:

It's the angle bead in the hole ...it used to have a like a drip thing before we got it dashed and that's why we think it's the lintol....cod the front bit was just knocked off...my mates a bricklayer by trade..he is on about investigating it first before by just taking a bit off to see what's going on ...it's just off some of the dash has to come off :)
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Yep angle grinder first to interrogate as mentioned. If you don't go for a bell cast bead and opt for flat face you can use a small channel cut in the soffit render a few mm wide and deep. That will keep the water away from the building you will see the same technique in older cills. A bell cast won't match that style..
    Thanks for the help everybody :)