He's back. Back Again....,

What's Hot

Comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    When I first saw the metallic pink I thought “yes, this could be the bass for me!”

Then I saw the rest...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Why has he wonkied up the tuners? Same on the Peavey 7-to-6 string. What could possibly be the motivation there? I get the idea of converting a 7 to give a wide 6 string (although the execution is questionable).
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Interesting that his only negative feedback was left by someone who bottled out of the purchase.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18812
    Sassafras said:
    Interesting that his only negative feedback was left by someone who bottled out of the purchase.
    Yes, a fair point that. No accounting for taste & no real reason why any of us here should consider ourselves arbiters of  it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited July 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Yes, a fair point that. No accounting for taste & no real reason why any of us here should consider ourselves arbiters of  it.

This listing doesn't exist in isolation. Taste is one thing, and I agree with your point on it, but the monstrosities that we've seen over the years have been quite astounding. His "work" has been on the forum for quite a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Neutral unrelated thing, but I listened to this earlier  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00075jj
    This lad can be considered outside ' normal' parameters of what is good or bad, but by the end of the programme I was very impressed.
    So, vive la difference  ;)  :+1: 
    But, with guitars, hold off on the dental features, leave that to PRS owners 
    :)  ;)

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22928
    Sesh said:
    Why has he wonkied up the tuners? Same on the Peavey 7-to-6 string. What could possibly be the motivation there? I get the idea of converting a 7 to give a wide 6 string (although the execution is questionable).
    As I said, he's realigned them to create space for big fat sausage fingers.

That's what a lot of his mods are all about, just like converting 7-strings into wide-necked 6-strings.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    This lad can be considered outside ' normal' parameters of what is good or bad, but by the end of the programme I was very impressed.

I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Richard Dawson is an idiosyncratic, but remarkable, writer and performer - his last album, Peasant, is really quite amazing and live he can be devastating; easily one of the best gigs I've been to in the last few years. Certainly his style is an acquired taste that relatively few are likely to acquire, but not quite the same thing as Mr Phillips declaring war on seven-string guitars. 

Thanks for pointing out the programme, though - I look forward to listening to it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Looks great

I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Richard Dawson is an idiosyncratic, but remarkable, writer and performer - his last album, Peasant, is really quite amazing and live he can be devastating; easily one of the best gigs I've been to in the last few years. Certainly his style is an acquired taste that relatively few are likely to acquire, but not quite the same thing as Mr Phillips declaring war on seven-string guitars. 

Thanks for pointing out the programme, though - I look forward to listening to it. 

Thats why I said  "^ Neutral unrelated thing, but I listened to this earlier  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00075jj
    This lad can be considered outside ' normal' parameters of what is good or bad"

A clumsy comparison perhaps, but from my perspective it was meant to be well intentioned. After all, everyone with interests in guitars is OK, right??
    P.S. Richards cat 'Trouble' is a star 
    ;)  :)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    It is often said that there is a fine line between insanity and genius...
    ... just not in this case.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031

Sassafras said:

Equally interesting is that 425 fat-handed myopic dimwits were trawling eBay, desperate for a strung-up plank.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7341
    Whats that bit he's added about using blocks and clamps on the truss rod?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Click on: contact seller, if questions come to mind of any sort?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291

Sassafras said:

Equally interesting is that 425 fat-handed myopic dimwits were trawling eBay, desperate for a strung-up plank.
    At least they were happy with their strung up plank, surprisingly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878

Love that album. He’s also with ‘Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs’, King is Cowards and Feed The Rats are superb albums, have them both on vinyl!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Sassafras said:

Sassafras said:

Indeed. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    "...brothers, sisters everybody sing.. duh duh durgh duh..."

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:

Sassafras said:

Indeed. :)
    We've all been pretty harsh on Mr Phillips in the past ... me included ... but I'd kinda miss him if he wasn't around. True his skills still leave much to be desired (that's a bit of an understatement) but he really seems to have happy customers. Personally I got very twitchy when some of the criticism/piss taking strayed over to his private life in the past ... to me that's a no go area.
    My opinion is that his modifications are hideous and poorly executed and his eventual prices are optimistic in the extreme ... but people buy them and seem content with them ... so if genius is finding a gap in the market for your product and having happy customers ... he seems to have his own rather 'special' kind.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Harlan Ellison

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom