What the hell is going on here - Gibson destruction

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22839
    WezV said:
    What ever happened to the seconds they used to let out just with a 2 or the word "second" stamped somewhere obvious???

It got to the point where that was all the guitars coming off the production line, so it didn't seem worth the effort of stamping them. 

The stamp guy was furious when they made him redundant.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I get the brand protection element, but it's still a sad indictment of modern society that it's acceptable to wilfully destroy something usable and hide behind bull***t "unsafe components"... unless the unsafe components were sharp fret ends that would rip a finger off :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Philly_Q said:
    WezV said:
    What ever happened to the seconds they used to let out just with a 2 or the word "second" stamped somewhere obvious???

It got to the point where that was all the guitars coming off the production line, so it didn't seem worth the effort of stamping them. 

The stamp guy was furious when they made him redundant.

Tbf, you often see some of the 80's seconds looking pretty perfect, other than them being 80's Gibson's.

I remember reading an interview with a guitarist in the mid 90's whose guitar was a second. he was saying how he could never find a flaw with his other than the bridge pickup being overwound, which suited the sound he was after.  Some 90's punk guitarist I think,  can't remember who
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    Would've been easier and cheaper to sand off the Gibson logo if they're worried about rogue ones being released into the wild.
    No... they'd still identifiable as a Firewood X. No-one else would ever make a body shape as ugly as that.
    Dean and BC Rich managed to.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72346
    Sassafras said:

Dean and BC Rich managed to.
    Nah... they're ugly but with style.

The Firewood X is just mis-shapen, ill-proportioned and actually dull as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom