Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Purchasing my first-ish guitar

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• LynxLynx Frets: 8
    Cheers for the replies chaps!
    So at the moment it's doing it whilst i'm plugged into my xbox one and playing Rocksmith. I will try it tonight with the vox amplug2 and headphones as I don't have an amp and will let you know if the problem persists :) I don't think it will happen as the amplug only runs on 2AA batteries so not enough current I assume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited August 2019
    Do look at the Vintage V100 range of guitars from www.scan.co.uk. SCAN do their own Quality Control, and do a full guitar setup before sending out the guitars to buyers. In my experience, this isn't necessary, as the Vintage V100 guitars are instantly playable straight out of the box, but it is good to know that SCAN inspects the guitars for quality. Upgrade these guitars with Seymour Duncan or EMG pickups and they would give a Gibson LP a run for its money. In fact, most of them do not need an upgrade of the Wilkinson Pickups - you can do that 2 or 3 years later when your playing has improved.  

With Harley Benton, you could be lucky to get a very good guitar straight out of the box, or unlucky to get one which needs some work to make it a good guitar.   

You can view demonstration videos on YouTube for the Vintage V100 guitars listed below.

V100CS Reissued LP in Flamed Cherry Sunburst - £259.00

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/vintage-v100-reissued-electric-guitar-mahogany-body-mahogany-set-neck-wilkinson-pickups-cherry-sunbu

V100IT Reissued LP in Flamed Iced Tea - £279.00

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/vintage-v100-electric-guitar-mahogany-body-mahogany-set-neck-22-frets-wilkinson-double-coils-flame-i

V100AFD Reissued LP in Flamed Amber - £319.00 price increase from £299.00   <= This is a copy of Slash's Appetite For Destruction guitar which, by the way, is not a genuine Gibson but a copy he had a luthier build for him. 

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/vintage-v100-electric-guitar-solid-mahogany-body-mahogany-set-neck-wilkinson-pickups-flamed-amber
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the extensive reply @rocktron . I hand't looked at Vintage guitars as a brand. There are surely many many options available and now it's back to the search. Had tried LP's at a shop and weren't too comfortable. I will likely try a Tele and perhaps purchase the LP as a second guitar as I would like to have something with Humbuckers.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Lynx said:
    Thanks for the extensive reply @rocktron . I hand't looked at Vintage guitars as a brand. There are surely many many options available and now it's back to the search. Had tried LP's at a shop and weren't too comfortable. I will likely try a Tele and perhaps purchase the LP as a second guitar as I would like to have something with Humbuckers.
    Secondhand Mex Tele well within your budget I’d say - and they are perfect for upgrades too..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have one of the newer Player Teles. Awesome guitars.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    Hi Everyone!! It's been a while so here's my final update for this topic. Whoever followed the thread knows will remember I had issues with the new Strat I purchased from Thomann and the fact it was giving me electric shocks lol. The guitar was sent back and indeed had grounding issues so I was given a full refund. After some thinking, I found a local UK chap that imports and builds really great sounding guitars so decided to buy a Tele from him. The guitar came in and sounded great out of the box. Small adjustment to string height and truss rod and I was well on my learning journey. Rocksmith was always an issue as it really doesn't like single coil guitars and the hum was massive so made it unplayable. This pushed me into the second hand market where I found an absolute bargain on an Ibanez GAX30 in Black with rosewood board. Needless to say I'm super happy and continuing to hammer on my learning journey with the help of Justin Guitar and Rocksmith. Thanks to all of you for your comments, suggestions and general help.

Rock on!