Belated NGD. Gibson Les Paul Special TV Yellow 2019.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    markj said:
    markj said:
    markj said:
     Very Nice!
    Don’t you use Faber bridges on your guitars Neil ?
    I do, I use their bridges, studs and anchors. The aluminium wraparound is the closest in construction, weight and, crucially, sound to the originals that I’ve found so far. I’ll wager you’ll hear a marked improvement over the current bridge. @GluedtoMusic will be able to sort you out
    What would I hear in difference.
    I usually find that I can hear more clarity, note definitions and top end ‘zing’ from the Faber bridges. 
    Just replaced the Gibson wraparound bridge and studs for a set of Faber bridge and studs.  Quite a large difference, it brings the guitar alive with more clarity and sustain and as you said Neil more note separation. What height do you set your P 90's on your guitars Neil ?
    Good news - glad my advice isn’t just a load of old guff! ;)

Regarding P90 heights, it’s all down to personal taste really, I like the Bridge at least as hot as the Neck so I try and set them both accordingly.
    What would you recommend as a starting point for the bridge pickup. I think I’ve got them pretty close but somebody with a lot experience of P90’s, what height do you start off with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    markj said:
    Just replaced the Gibson wraparound bridge and studs for a set of Faber bridge and studs.  Quite a large difference, it brings the guitar alive with more clarity and sustain and as you said Neil more note separation. What height do you set your P 90's on your guitars Neil ?
    @markj ;

Which studs did you get?  These locking ones?

I quite fancy trying the Faber hardware on my Special.

edited August 2019
    bodhi said:
    markj said:
    @markj ;;

Which studs did you get?  These locking ones?

I quite fancy trying the Faber hardware on my Special.

Yes those along with the wraparound bridge, definitely worth doing. The Special really does sound better for it, you wouldn’t regret it.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    markj said:
    markj said:
    markj said:
    markj said:
     Very Nice!
    Don’t you use Faber bridges on your guitars Neil ?
    I do, I use their bridges, studs and anchors. The aluminium wraparound is the closest in construction, weight and, crucially, sound to the originals that I’ve found so far. I’ll wager you’ll hear a marked improvement over the current bridge. @GluedtoMusic will be able to sort you out
    What would I hear in difference.
    I usually find that I can hear more clarity, note definitions and top end ‘zing’ from the Faber bridges. 
    Good news - glad my advice isn’t just a load of old guff! ;)

Regarding P90 heights, it’s all down to personal taste really, I like the Bridge at least as hot as the Neck so I try and set them both accordingly.
    What would you recommend as a starting point for the bridge pickup. I think I’ve got them pretty close but somebody with a lot experience of P90’s, what height do you start off with.
    It’s hard to give advice on this really as it all depends the pickups to the specific guitar, I.e. every one will be slightly different. There’s no specific measurement, it’s all down to your ears and hearing the difference.

I usually start by getting the neck P90 (as this has the least amount of adjustment - certainly on the vintage Specials) at a height where it doesn’t foul the strings, the playing position or cause excessive string pull and sounds good then bring the bridge P90 up/down to compliment that one in terms of volume balance.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    markj said:

Yes those along with the wraparound bridge, definitely worth doing. The Special really does sound better for it, you wouldn’t regret it.
    Thanks.  I'm torn between the Faber and the ABM compensated wraparound.  Might have to try both...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Ive been hankering for a Yellow Lp ever since I watched this, in fact I want to be the guy playing it, or the guy playing the Strat, I dont really mind . 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    bodhi said:
    markj said:

Thanks.  I'm torn between the Faber and the ABM compensated wraparound.  Might have to try both...
    I think the Faber one would suit your guitar not the compensated ABM. How’s the intonation on your guitar ? On my Special it’s nearly perfect, the Faber bridge viewed from the each side changes in profile slightly.  Neil from Ivison guitars would be better giving you some advice.
    http://www.mojoaxe.com/          bodhi said:
    markj said:

http://www.mojoaxe.com/     Have a look here on MojoAxe website to which style of bridge you need for your guitar.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    JD50 said:
    Very nice, I've still not had a chance to try one of these am very curious to what difference there is between these and the 2016 Japanese propriety ones they made...
    anyone got an answer for this ?
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Is there not a tummy cut/cutaway on the back of Specials?
    tae be or not tae be
    edited August 2019
    Hootsmon said:
    JD50 said:
    Very nice, I've still not had a chance to try one of these am very curious to what difference there is between these and the 2016 Japanese propriety ones they made...

I had one of the 2016 Japanese propriety run Junior. I think the 2019 specials are  far better made, there's no comparison in build quality. The Junior that I had didn't have regular pots etc, it had a crappy pc board with everything attached, this was replaced super fast. Not sure about the 2016 run of Specials but the 2019 Specials have CTS pots and Sprague caps.
    Hootsmon said:

No not at all.
    markj said:
    I think the Faber one would suit your guitar not the compensated ABM. How’s the intonation on your guitar ? On my Special it’s nearly perfect, the Faber bridge viewed from the each side changes in profile slightly.  Neil from Ivison guitars would be better giving you some advice.
    Oh, so the Faber has some compensation going on?  Didn't know that.

Intonation with the stock Gibson bridge isn't perfect, but is close enough so it doesn't bother me at all.

I've looked at the MojoAxe bridges before - bit pricey.
    Hootsmon said:
    Nope.
    markj said:
    I had one of the 2016 Japanese propriety run Junior. I think the 2019 specials are  far better made, there's no comparison in build quality. The Junior that I had didn't have regular pots etc, it had a crappy pc board with everything attached, this was replaced super fast. Not sure about the 2016 run of Specials but the 2019 Specials have CTS pots and Sprague caps.
    My 2016 has very decent (and stock) pots and caps.  I don't recall exactly, but they work so well that I have no intention of changing anything there.  Defo no pc board, so I'm surprised to hear the Juniors had those.
    bodhi said:
    markj said:
    Oh, so the Faber has some compensation going on?  Didn't know that.

Intonation with the stock Gibson bridge isn't perfect, but is close enough so it doesn't bother me at all.

I've looked at the MojoAxe bridges before - bit pricey.
    I don’t think that you could go wrong with the Faber bridge, the intonation is near enough spot on. I replaced the bridge on my Junior with a tonepros, it wasn’t anywhere as good as the Faber.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    markj said:
    Hootsmon said:
    JD50 said:

What was so bad about the PC board you had to replace it?
    JD50 said:
    markj said:
    Hootsmon said:
    JD50 said:

What was so bad about the PC board you had to replace it?

It worked okay but was happier to replace it with a wiring harness with cts pots oil in paper cap made for me by Oilcity pickups.