EOB Stratocaster... finally tried one today!

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
A little underwhelming to be honest!

Loved all the pickups and switching, sustainer and the humbucker in the bridge. 

Did not like the neck, the fretboard felt really, really flat, almost concave like a Spanish guitar. Yuk. The colour is meh and the fretboard pasty pale. 

The guitar itself was uninspiring, the pickups and sustainer was fun though. Not sure what strings were on it but they were horrible. 

I guess all the things I didn't like could be fixed except the fretboard. Shame as I really quite fancied one. Maybe they will bring out a CAR version with a rosewood fingerboard.... 
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Wholeheartedly agree about the neck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    sweepy said:
    Wholeheartedly agree about the neck

Yeah, just why? Did you try one or buy one? 
    I tried one with the intention of buying one there and then, if they had fitted a Clapton neck it would have been spot on
    sweepy said:
    I tried one with the intention of buying one there and then, if they had fitted a Clapton neck it would have been spot on
    Pickups are really good aren't they? With or without the sustainer.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    Funny, I loved the neck and the sustainer. However, by having the sustainer i felt the neck/mid pickup was worse than average and for me they are  the selling point of a good strat. Just my opinion.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Funny, I loved the neck and the sustainer. However, by having the sustainer i felt the neck/mid pickup was worse than average and for me they are  the selling point of a good strat. Just my opinion.
    This.

i sold mine because it just was ruined as a Strat. I loved the neck.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    I really like 10/56 necks - only got familiar with them last year but it’s a nice feeling “big” neck and I was pretty impressed they are using it on this. I know there will be sample variation, but has anyone directly compared a “proper” Custom Shop 10/56 to it’s non-union Mexican equivalent? 
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    edited August 2019
    Bought two...both damaged when arrived and didn't bond with the neck so escaped with dignity from this purchase!
    Loved the sounds though and heading dir a Plus pedal for sustaining solution (very pricey though) jon
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    That's odd, I checked the fender website and the radius is 9.5"which is very far from a classical guitar. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    Whitecat said:
    I really like 10/56 necks - only got familiar with them last year but it’s a nice feeling “big” neck and I was pretty impressed they are using it on this. I know there will be sample variation, but has anyone directly compared a “proper” Custom Shop 10/56 to it’s non-union Mexican equivalent? 
    My Strat has a 10/56 neck - I really like it. That said, I’ve not played a Mexican one.
    carlos said:
    That's odd, I checked the fender website and the radius is 9.5"which is very far from a classical guitar. 
    Yeah! The one I tried definately felt really flat to me, much more so than my Mexi Strat. Maybe it was the overall feel of the neck, not sure but I looked down it and it couldn't detect much radius on the frets. I'll be interested to try another one to compare.
    The Ed O Brien Strat isn't a 10/56 btw, I had one on my Journeyman Strat, I'd say it's far chunkier and less shaped
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    edited August 2019
    Whitecat said:
    My Strat has a 10/56 neck - I really like it. That said, I’ve not played a Mexican one.
    When this guitar came out I was more interested in the 10/56 V neck - on a modestly priced guitar - than the electronics.  Haven't had a chance to try one, though.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    sweepy said:
    The Ed O Brien Strat isn't a 10/56 btw, I had one on my Journeyman Strat, I'd say it's far chunkier and less shaped
    The EOB or your JM Strat is chunkier and less-shaped?

That’s the comparison I’m after exactly...
    What are the options for changing the neck on one of these do we think? 
    Whitecat said:
    sweepy said:
    The EOB or your JM Strat is chunkier and less-shaped?

That’s the comparison I’m after exactly...
    The JM neck isn’t as rounded and is slightly more shaped 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    Fuengi said:
    What are the options for changing the neck on one of these do we think? 
    The options?  Presumably you could put on any USA/Mexico Fender neck.  Or indeed any Fender-licensed neck from Allparts, Warmoth, Musikraft, whoever...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had to read through all this to find out what an EOB was lol. It was a who .  Talking of sustainers I love the Schecter sun valley super shredder with the built in sustainer check out some demos on YouTube 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Neck feels absolutely fine on mine not remotely like a classical fretboard.  As comfortable as my three 3CS strats.  Dont buy one if you dont want one stick similar specs in a guitar of your choice
    Neck feels absolutely fine on mine not remotely like a classical fretboard.  As comfortable as my three 3CS strats.  Dont buy one if you dont want one stick similar specs in a guitar of your choice
    Therein lies the rub.... Putting a Fernandes Sustainer, the switching and the pickups in my Strat... would be cheaper to buy a new neck for one of these!