EOB Stratocaster... finally tried one today!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    .... Especially at used prices! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    That’s the thing with signature guitars, it’s one persons very particular take on an ideal specification, and as such it’s not going to suit everybody...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:
    That’s the thing with signature guitars, it’s one persons very particular take on an ideal specification, and as such it’s not going to suit everybody...

Absolutely, I totally get that. I really like the concept and the tonal options are great. I'm tempted to look for a decent priced used one as I might get to like the neck. But if not I can swap it out and keep the original if I want to resell at any time. 

If I changed the neck for something with a slimmer profile and a rosewood fingerboard it might suit me more. 

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I had to move my EOB on because of the neck. Considered swapping it out for another one, but figured I could probably just get a sustainer if I really needed one that badly.
    Tried it again today. Still hate the neck. 

The fingerboard has a little contour to it but it feels flat somehow. The neck is super glossy, it's like playing fly paper. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Fuengi said:

The fingerboard has a little contour to it but it feels flat somehow. The neck is super glossy, it's like playing fly paper. 
    I couldn’t get on with the neck, considering Ed’s Old Strat was a Clapton model I’d have thought that it might at least have a soft V
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Fuengi said:

Oh that would piss me off loads!!! It’s not necessary anymore...
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Loved the pick ups, hated the neck.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    sweepy said:
    Fuengi said:

I couldn’t get on with the neck, considering Ed’s Old Strat was a Clapton model I’d have thought that it might at least have a soft V
    Mine was a soft V.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Whitecat said:
    Fuengi said:

Oh that would piss me off loads!!! It’s not necessary anymore...

Fly paper dipped in treacle. That's what it felt like. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dubberdubber Frets: 34
    I had one for a few months, I thought the neck and fingerboard were ok, not as nice as a CS equivalent, edges weren't smooth etc. ... but pretty good for the price.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    dubber said:
    I had one for a few months, I thought the neck and fingerboard were ok, not as nice as a CS equivalent, edges weren't smooth etc. ... but pretty good for the price.
    Can't help but wonder if Fender deliberately avoid rolling the edges of the fretboards on Mexican models purely so it's a selling point for the American range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    thegummy said:
    dubber said:
    Can't help but wonder if Fender deliberately avoid rolling the edges of the fretboards on Mexican models purely so it's a selling point for the American range.
    Of course it is but it only takes 10 mins D.I.Y
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    dubber said:
    Of course it is but it only takes 10 mins D.I.Y
    See my recent thread about it.
  • I think it was designed for a very specific sound, which it achieves well.  However, if you're expecting it to sound like even a HSS strat, it's possibly comparable to a super strat.  It looks like one but doesn't necessarily sound like one...

Love the guitar personally, that's just me being a sucker for maple boards, lil HBs, sustainers and strats.... hehehe
    I think it was designed for a very specific sound, which it achieves well.  However, if you're expecting it to sound like even a HSS strat, it's possibly comparable to a super strat.  It looks like one but doesn't necessarily sound like one...

Love the guitar personally, that's just me being a sucker for maple boards, lil HBs, sustainers and strats.... hehehe

I'm liking all that stuff, just not the neck. It might play a lot better with a good rub down of the neck.