Anyone made one of those fretwire bending tools?

Anyone built one? I thought I'd have a go so wondering if anyone has experience.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

yes. made it from birch ply. Used a hole-cutter with a central twist drill to make the 'rollers'. One adjustable 'roller', one fixed and a bodged handle. Steel washers to define a gap in one 'roller' for the fret tang to slot into.

It worked well, was fairly easy/cheap to make and lasted for about 4 instruments before the wood was a bit too chewed-up to work. It has now found a more useful life in our firepit, and I've bought a metal device instead. Some things in guitar building I think are worth buying.

Adam

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27478
    Yup - I made one using some roller door wheels (because they've got a handy little groove in them where the fretwire sits).

Does the job nicely.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    I bought some bearings off the internet and used some big washers to make the 'big' wheel which rolls against the smaller wheels (the bearings).  Mounted it all to a bit of 5mm perspex cut and epoxied together to make a 10mm thick sheet.  Turny handle from an old hand drill.

It works well enough for me.  If I was doing refrets for a living I'd buy the proper StewMac job but until then my jerry-rigged doodad works just fine.

To be honest, there are enough guides on the internet that you've probably got option paralysis already, but if you want exact dimensions or a pic of mine feel free to shoot me a message.

Or just have a stab at making one - I quite enjoyed it and it's nice to just make something off your own bat that does a job effectively.