Anyone done a direct access?

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    For what it’s worth, I found the bigger bikes much easier to ride than the pokey little 125’s. Easier to manoeuvre (especially the Mod 1 stuff), easier to plan ahead for overtakes and the like, and much easier to squirt the throttle and get out of the way of any identified threat.

Your mileage may vary depending on your confidence levels.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    I'm a Sunday-only rider and I clock up 300 miles with a pillion most weeks - it's 30 miles until I get anywhere near decent roads. I wouldn't like to do that kind of riding on a 125.

On the other hand, we always had fun on a Yamaha 100 and if we go on holiday we hire a 125 (or even a moped) and really enjoy ourselves. Apart from the comfort issue, I can't say I've ever wished I was on a bigger bike when I'm on a smaller one (except coming down from the mountain, two-up on a moped - but that was worrying because it was an automatic and I was getting brake fade in the heat).

So it depends what you want to do. If I lived somewhere with fun roads outside my door, I'd get a 125 just for fun. But I've got a 650 Bandit and a 1250 Bandit and they are both fantastic in their own way - I've no more room in the garage for a 125 but I'd have one if I could fit it in. 

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Just read through all of your responses thoroughly. Thanks everyone for taking to time to write some really useful posts.

I’m definitely the kind of person who will be cautious on the road. I don’t have the desire to go crazy fast and push the limits. I’ve got a family I want to come home to each evening who are the most important thing for me.

Some of you mentioned being tall enough to put your feet down at traffic. I’m 5’9” so not exactly short but not tall either. I haven’t ridden a motorbike before but I do drive.

@p90fool Where are you/your wife’s training school based?

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited August 2019
    Hmmm regarding everyone saying don't bother with a 125 am I to assume you have not been on a sports 600 or 1000? As someone who just passed their test will no way be confident enough to correct a bad corner line on a sports bike, learning lines is paramount, and doig it on a lower powered bike will allow you to correct bad lines instead of landing in a bush 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I wouldn't advocate a sports bike either, but a middleweight commuter can be a lot easier and safer to ride than than a 125 on a fast A road. 

@Simon_M we're in Mid Wales, but not training at the moment while we decide which route to take after redundancies etc. 
    Hmmm regarding everyone saying don't bother with a 125 am I to assume you have not been on a sports 600 or 1000? As someone who just passed their test will no way be confident enough to correct a bad corner line on a sports bike, learning lines is paramount, and doig it on a lower powered bike will allow you to correct bad lines instead of landing in a bush 
    I don’t really fancy a 600-1000cc sports bike. I’m most interested in a standard street bike. Sports bikes look really uncomfortable
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited August 2019
    Simon_M said:
    I don’t really fancy a 600-1000cc sports bike. I’m most interested in a standard street bike. Sports bikes look really uncomfortable
    Try a Triumph Street Triple.
    Comfy street bike, amazing engine- triples are just brilliant.
    Was my first big bike.
  • Hmmm regarding everyone saying don't bother with a 125 am I to assume you have not been on a sports 600 or 1000? As someone who just passed their test will no way be confident enough to correct a bad corner line on a sports bike, learning lines is paramount, and doig it on a lower powered bike will allow you to correct bad lines instead of landing in a bush 
    This is just not correct or helpful.

Someone who has been taught to ride properly on a bike of any size, large or small, will be able to assess a corner and approach at the correct speed, take the correct line for that day/oncoming traffic/weather/view/how you're feeling yourself and negotiate it safely and skilfully. And they'll start from a premise of being safe whilst they develop their skill. 

There's no such thing as "learning lines" if you've been trained to assess bends properly. It's not a racetrack without traffic coming the other way and with a marshal to tell you it's safe. Every time you take a specific bend on your favourite road, it will be different. Anyone who tells you you should be "learning lines" has a gap in their understanding and expertise. 

Proper training doesn't focus on recovery techniques for when you get it wrong. It focuses on avoidance techniques for never getting into trouble in the first place. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    edited August 2019

Someone who has been taught to ride properly on a bike of any size, large or small, will be able to assess a corner and approach at the correct speed, take the correct line for that day/oncoming traffic/weather/view/how you're feeling yourself and negotiate it safely and skilfully. And they'll start from a premise of being safe whilst they develop their skill. 

There's no such thing as "learning lines" if you've been trained to assess bends properly. It's not a racetrack without traffic coming the other way and with a marshal to tell you it's safe. Every time you take a specific bend on your favourite road, it will be different. Anyone who tells you you should be "learning lines" has a gap in their understanding and expertise. 

Proper training doesn't focus on recovery techniques for when you get it wrong. It focuses on avoidance techniques for never getting into trouble in the first place. 

Rubbish. You're taking away the human aspect of it, noone who gets on a bike is going to do the speed limit all the time,, lines should be learned, 100% so you can see problems ahead, and don't end up in a bush,  you have one week to teach someone to ride a bike you cant teach the skill involved in negotiating bends at even60 mph, on a potent sports machine, that's what you learn by experience somethig you as a teacher cannot show them.
    You even say you don't teach recovery,  you teach avoidance, that's not applicable in every situation! As I biker who does 25k per year in all weather, learning lines and recovery was invaluable.
  • equalsql said:
    It wasn't in the DVSA book. It was in my syllabus. How else can you teach someone to steer a bike at anything faster than a fast walk? 

• Hmmm regarding everyone saying don't bother with a 125 am I to assume you have not been on a sports 600 or 1000? As someone who just passed their test will no way be confident enough to correct a bad corner line on a sports bike, learning lines is paramount, and doig it on a lower powered bike will allow you to correct bad lines instead of landing in a bush 

Rubbish. You're taking away the human aspect of it, noone who gets on a bike is going to do the speed limit all the time,, lines should be learned, 100% so you can see problems ahead, and don't end up in a bush,  you have one week to teach someone to ride a bike you cant teach the skill involved in negotiating bends at even60 mph, on a potent sports machine, that's what you learn by experience somethig you as a teacher cannot show them.
    You even say you don't teach recovery,  you teach avoidance, that's not applicable in every situation! As I biker who does 25k per year in all weather, learning lines and recovery was invaluable.
    You clearly have a different belief system to me. 

For the second time in two posts, you're misquoting or mis-assuming. 

I suspect some, if not all, the people suggesting that a learner can go straight to a bigger bike and avoid the 125cc stage - if it is appropriate for them - have ridden and owned fast sportsbikes before. I have. So the assumption in your first post is misplaced. 

You're misquoting (or misunderstanding) me when you incorrectly quote me in your second post. I said "the focus" is on avoidance rather than recovery. Of course people make mistakes on bikes of any size. I teach countersteering and I teach that recovery if you're going too fast for a bend you misread on approach is usually to countersteer a bit harder and not to shut the throttle or try and brake - unless you can get the bike upright and travelling in a straight line. But it's not my focus. Assessing the bend correctly is my focus. It's the approach favoured by every police force I know, so I'm in good company.

I suspect I can teach a learner some skills that you learned by experience. Which is what a good instructor is paid for. 

Anyway, I've got to go out and ride my bike, now. I've got an appointment with someone who wants a mock test before they take their RoSPA Advanced test next week. Back later...  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I had a sports tourer, Honda VFR 800, as a first return to biking and it didn’t last long as it was very uncomfortable on my back. If I rode fir more than an hour I could barely straighten up when I got off. I traded it in for a CBF1000 with a more upright seating position. 
    edited August 2019

I do understand where you're coming from, but it's not an either/or, it's nuanced. Lines I learned on a Fireblade or ZZR1400 are equally applicable to my old Royal Enfield, in that they buy me a lot of time, especially in bad weather.

BUT, it is a slippery slope, treating every bend as a challenge to "get right" often leads to a mentality where recovery from sphincter-clenching moments HAS to be learned, because it's a daily event. 

Also "learning lines" is the nearest I've come to high speed crashes on the road, because you approach your favourite bends in a far more gung ho manner than ones you've never seen, often at speeds where even just a rabbit carcass could start a highside, let alone a parked tractor or diesel spill. 

I'm not putting you in this category because I don't know you, but when I ran a shop all the guys (and they were always guys) who "needed" this helmet, that back protector, this body armour, those knee sliders all binned it sooner or later because they were PLANNING to. 

To me, as someone who has ridden most days, winter and summer on a huge variety of bikes for 35 years, falling off is not an option I'm willing to countenance, but for some it's seen as part of motorcycling. 

I even asked some of the ones buying all the armour (the ones who were strictly road riders who never did track days) if they planned to smash through the windscreen of their car and land in a bloody mess on the bonnet next time they went shopping, but they didn't see any correlation between the two types of single vehicle accident. 

Wear good gear, stay warm and safe but don't treat stuffing your bike up a telegraph pole at double the speed limit as a valid part of motorcycling - it's just pure dickishness. 
  • Haven't read all the replies but there's clearly some varying opinions. I'll throw my experience into the mix.

I got my bike licence 2 years ago, aged 39. I've been driving since I was 17 and was a driving instructor for a while. I like driving in as much as I enjoy the craft of being in control of the vehicle and enjoying a smooth journey. Occasionally that translates into driving swiftly to see if I can still keep things well in control, but I'm not really a speed demon.

My mates bullied me into the bike thing. And my son wanted to get his licence so I arranged for us to have a taster session. I found it hard, he said it was easy. I took on the challenge and did my CBT which was hard but I was beginning to feel like it was achievable. I waited a few months, then booked a half day lesson on a proper bike. I loved it, despite dropping it twice due to poor balance when stopping. The instructor said I could book my tests ASAP so I did. I had another lesson, then hired a 125 for a morning. Then I did my MOD1 with a bit of instruction and practise on the morning. I went through with only a couple of minor faults, just nerves.

I didn't have any more practise until the day of MOD2. I passed that with zero riding faults.

In summary - if you have the right mentality to riding - learn to control the bike, forward planning and defensive attitude - and if you have plenty of road experience in a car or similar, then you can get through the test easily. And that can also serve you perfectly well to continue riding safely thereafter, where you can ramp up your skill and experience. I won't claim to be an expert, but I know how to look after myself on two wheels.

I believe anybody who has been driving for a good few years would be able to get through the bike test fairly quickly too.

My advice would be not to book an intensive course, the pressure will be too high. Just have a lesson one Saturday/Sunday, see how it goes. Take it from there.
    p90fool said:

I do understand where you're coming from, but it's not an either/or, it's nuanced. Lines I learned on a Fireblade or ZZR1400 are equally applicable to my old Royal Enfield, in that they buy me a lot of time, especially in bad weather.

BUT, it is a slippery slope, treating every bend as a challenge to "get right" often leads to a mentality where recovery from sphincter-clenching moments HAS to be learned, because it's a daily event. 

Also "learning lines" is the nearest I've come to high speed crashes on the road, because you approach your favourite bends in a far more gung ho manner than ones you've never seen, often at speeds where even just a rabbit carcass could start a highside, let alone a parked tractor or diesel spill. 

I'm not putting you in this category because I don't know you, but when I ran a shop all the guys (and they were always guys) who "needed" this helmet, that back protector, this body armour, those knee sliders all binned it sooner or later because they were PLANNING to. 

To me, as someone who has ridden most days, winter and summer on a huge variety of bikes for 35 years, falling off is not an option I'm willing to countenance, but for some it's seen as part of motorcycling. 

I even asked some of the ones buying all the armour (the ones who were strictly road riders who never did track days) if they planned to smash through the windscreen of their car and land in a bloody mess on the bonnet next time they went shopping, but they didn't see any correlation between the two types of single vehicle accident. 

Wear good gear, stay warm and safe but don't treat stuffing your bike up a telegraph pole at double the speed limit as a valid part of motorcycling - it's just pure dickishness. 

Don't worry lol I certainly couldn't afford to be one of those and only ever had one accident, as a sensible rider I love my bike but also love corners, noone buys a bike for convenience it's all About the rush of being in a bike, nothing beats it, however you need more than just the skills they teach you on a DA, You learn to properly ride after you pass the test, and by learn I mean make mistakes and come out the other side to learn from them :) 
    Thanks again everyone for the advice. Lots to digest and understand. 

FWIW, I have a defensive driving qualification and have driven vehicles on blue lights as well as been navigator/spotter for far more experienced drivers. I have also attended RTAs as a rescuer and been in an accident myself some years ago. I have quite an appreciation for the hazards of motoring but have no experience of riding a motorcycle.

I reckon a taster lesson one weekend would be a good idea then go from there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    As a long term rider.....carry a donor card
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Or a doner card, so someone can help themselves to my kebab in the event of my death. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Already a donor. :scream: My organs are no good to me when I’m dead and I’ve been involved in emergency services enough to see when people really need them.

Typically my experience of motorcyclists around here though is that they’re better on the roads than the cars! Although we do have a lot of tourists up here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom