Golf for the adult beginner?

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    joneve said:
    TimmyO said:
    I went and hit a golf ball properly for the first time today.

Watched a couple of Youtube videos the other day (so so helpful /sarcasm - there are either 6 key basic things to the golf swing. Or 2. Or 11. Or just these 7 for the perfect beginner swing. Or only 1 thing to remember. ....) 

Went to the range today and bought a big bucket o balls and set about them with my 7 iron.

I'd forgotten the 'how to grip a golf club' (or mixed up what I remembered from different contradictory videos) instructions s I don't think I held it the same twice in 120 shots lol 

Ditto I don't know how far from the ball to stand, so that was all random too. 

About 50-60% of shots ended up going straight or drawing left, pitching c. 100m and running on to 120m (most) -150m (some)

about 10 shots total were fucking down the middle lasers - boom :-) 

the rest were either scuffs, hit the side of the bay, or otherwise a bit crap 

Also: my left hand and forearm were KILLING me after about 20 shots - and still are 
    You're gripping the club too tight. Probably a byproduct of not gripping it correctly (because you couldn't remember what the various videos said) and overcompensating for it. 

when you say "drawing left" if this was more of a gentle draw than a snap hook, this is about the most desirable shot to have (if you ask most people). So not a bad thing (unless it was a snap hook lol). 

Got to start somewhere though. the on course lesson things you've booked will be a good place to start for some guidance. 

If I get a free weekend once I'm done with this stupid fucking event on Sunday, I'd be happy to head to the range with you (can meet halfway between you and me maybe?) and/or head out for a few holes. 

definitely a gentle draw not a hook 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    right now my left forearm hurts so much I want to saw it off 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    TimmyO said:
    joneve said:
    TimmyO said:
    I went and hit a golf ball properly for the first time today.

Watched a couple of Youtube videos the other day (so so helpful /sarcasm - there are either 6 key basic things to the golf swing. Or 2. Or 11. Or just these 7 for the perfect beginner swing. Or only 1 thing to remember. ....) 

Went to the range today and bought a big bucket o balls and set about them with my 7 iron.

I'd forgotten the 'how to grip a golf club' (or mixed up what I remembered from different contradictory videos) instructions s I don't think I held it the same twice in 120 shots lol 

Ditto I don't know how far from the ball to stand, so that was all random too. 

About 50-60% of shots ended up going straight or drawing left, pitching c. 100m and running on to 120m (most) -150m (some)

about 10 shots total were fucking down the middle lasers - boom :-) 

the rest were either scuffs, hit the side of the bay, or otherwise a bit crap 

Also: my left hand and forearm were KILLING me after about 20 shots - and still are 
    You're gripping the club too tight. Probably a byproduct of not gripping it correctly (because you couldn't remember what the various videos said) and overcompensating for it. 

when you say "drawing left" if this was more of a gentle draw than a snap hook, this is about the most desirable shot to have (if you ask most people). So not a bad thing (unless it was a snap hook lol). 

Got to start somewhere though. the on course lesson things you've booked will be a good place to start for some guidance. 

If I get a free weekend once I'm done with this stupid fucking event on Sunday, I'd be happy to head to the range with you (can meet halfway between you and me maybe?) and/or head out for a few holes. 

definitely a gentle draw not a hook 
    Perfect :) That's what you want. Next time you go, it'll do something completely different and you'll wonder why the fuck you ever bought a golf club. 

but you'll still want to go back and aim for those peachy shots again. It's such a wanker of a game. :) 
    the first thing to decide is do you think you could enjoy it?

if yes then find your best route for time and budget, don't get me wrong lessons are helpful and will get you there quicker and you will learn all the little tweaks but if you don't have time or money for that you will get somewhere with a few choice youtube vids(don't over do the vids though else your brain will melt)... The self taught approach also has it's rewards, it will more likely take longer but when you start cracking them more good than bad you'll be like 'did that no lessons' :)

also you can have specific area lessons, you might find you are a natural with irons but struggling with 1w, then just book a help with driving lesson.. my mate had a 1hr bunker shots lesson.
    ta - interesting.

I think for me I'd want a few lessons before setting out on the course - the notion of being in the middle of a golf course and repeatedly hitting shit shots would fill me with dread - I'd rather feel confident of being able to hit cleanly consistently 

Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
     the notion of being in the middle of a golf course and repeatedly hitting shit shots would fill me with dread - I'd rather feel confident of being able to hit cleanly consistently 

Welcome to golf. I’ve been playing 3years and still feel the same 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I think for me I'd want a few lessons before setting out on the course - the notion of being in the middle of a golf course and repeatedly hitting shit shots would fill me with dread - I'd rather feel confident of being able to hit cleanly consistently 

This is definitely not fun...for you or anyone in your group !

Ive been playing average for years, I have good and bad games...but its quite enjoyable in Spain or somewhere sunny ;-)

Im not even going to try to give advice about actual playing...but I would suggest a few lessons asap...or you will form very bad habits very quickly.

Good luck !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I hope you didn't skim read my bloody good post  ;)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I know that I am repeating myself but: golf is a game, hitting the golf ball is a skill.

On the practice tee or driving range, you always have a very good lie.  With white lines to help you line up.  And if you mess up, simply put another ball on the tee and start again.

Out on the course it is slightly different.  Simply put: hit the ball, find it and hit it again.  And you play the ball where it lies.  On the fairway, in a divot, in light rough, in heavy rough or from a bunker.  Your ball hitting skills will help you move the ball from where it is.  Your golf skills will guide you to hit it to where your next shot will be easier.  Often times you end up with a blind shot, so you trust yourself to hit the ball in a certain direction and the required distance.

The beauty and thrill in the game is in overcoming these and other challenges on the course.  Your playing partners/opponents are facing those exact same challenges too so never feel that you are holding things up.  Take your time and play the shot to the best of your ability.  Be it 150 metres from the fairway or 15 metres from under trees.  Accept the good breaks with silence and the same for those shots that go out of bounds or into the water.  No matter how badly you hit a shot, remember that some far better golfer than you has hit an even worst shot somewhere at some time in their career.

One good shot and you are hooked.  Flush one and you want to do it again.  And again.  And again.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Lest anyone misunderstood, the thread isn't about asking how to play golf, but how to find out how to play golf. I'm not paying any attention to any technical stuff cos I don't know anyine here from Adam when it comes to that 
    Red ones are better. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    TimmyO said:
    the first thing to decide is do you think you could enjoy it?

if yes then find your best route for time and budget, don't get me wrong lessons are helpful and will get you there quicker and you will learn all the little tweaks but if you don't have time or money for that you will get somewhere with a few choice youtube vids(don't over do the vids though else your brain will melt)... The self taught approach also has it's rewards, it will more likely take longer but when you start cracking them more good than bad you'll be like 'did that no lessons' :)

also you can have specific area lessons, you might find you are a natural with irons but struggling with 1w, then just book a help with driving lesson.. my mate had a 1hr bunker shots lesson.
    ta - interesting.

I’ve been playing this fucking game for nearly 30 years, still waiting to find my consistency. Haha. All part of the fun :)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Image result for meteor crater
    tae be or not tae be
    TimmyO said:
    Lest anyone misunderstood, the thread isn't about asking how to play golf, but how to find out how to play golf. I'm not paying any attention to any technical stuff cos I don't know anyine here from Adam when it comes to that 
    They are one and the same thing.  In golf you hit a ball from A into a little hole at B, in as few shots as you can.  There is no defined way to do this but you must use compliant equipment to play the game.  There is no 'right' grip of the club, only a few that are considered more effective than others.  If the ball goes where you hope it will go, simply keep on doing what you are doing and don't change anything.  No matter who tells you otherwise, if it works, stick with it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Cheers 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
     Can’t stress enough the value of having a few quids worth of lessons right at the beginning. It’ll set you off on the right path and stop you ingraining damaging habits which can be incredibly hard to shake. 

A good pro will help you have a pretty solid basic swing after just a handful of lessons and that’s an excellent platform to then go your own way. 
  • I'm not going to try and give you any tips but Morpheus has an important one for you.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Went again today with a friend (who is a decent player, and left handed so I couldn't borrow any of his stuff ) 

I borrowed a used driver from the shop and had a go.woth that too which was quite fun.

I think I've worked out a slightly better grip so that was a bit more consistent and hurt a lot less. 

I ended up with a massive blister on my middle finger so I bought a glove afterwards (horse bolted etc) 

I also bought the driver lol 

So I now own a 7, a driver, shoes and a glove 
    Red ones are better. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    This post has inspired me to get back into it, I just need to get myself some clubs. Hope you're enjoying it TimmyO  :)
    @TimmyO you need a putter.  And a golf bag.  You get the idea where this is heading........

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    @TimmyO you need a putter.  And a golf bag.  You get the idea where this is heading........
    Indeed it does seem that way. I'm not in a rush though 

I'll sort a few lessons when I'm back from holiday and see how that goes 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited August 2019
    You all be pleased to know that I've totally stuck to my "I'm not buying loads of shite" comment...

Ahem 
    Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom