Who do you consider to be the UK's top guitar builders?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I see a lot of people mentioning Feline, but when I had dealings with him, I took my Gibson R8 in to get some new pickups, and I somehow ended up with a Thomann Les Paul copy! I was livid, but too polite to say anything, so I just took it away. @FelineGuitars Can you please check your customers parts box for my guitar please?

:lol:
    and worst of all it turned right handed when I wasn't looking :#

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I see a lot of people mentioning Feline, but when I had dealings with him, I took my Gibson R8 in to get some new pickups, and I somehow ended up with a Thomann Les Paul copy! I was livid, but too polite to say anything, so I just took it away. @FelineGuitars Can you please check your customers parts box for my guitar please?

:lol:
    and worst of all it turned right handed when I wasn't looking :#
    I wondered why it had some cavities on the back!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited August 2019
    Oh btw, @Scatterbrain is my mate, and I like his guitars. Yes I'm biased, coz he's a mate and he has a great big bushy beard.

This is one of his latest.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been looking up the makers people are recommending in this thread, and b I e just found these:

http://daemonessguitars.co.uk/project/twin-bog-oak-viking-cimmerians/

Oh. My. God... I'm in love! 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Wonky said:

I own a Jon Case guitar which is a really wonderful creation, truly a perfect guitar in many ways.  Does everything from Zeppelin type stuff to Joe Pass (neck with the tone on 3) and even some proper shred into the right amp.  The Bareknuckles in it are wonderful too and obviously British made.  
    Jon Case deserves serious consideration just on the basis of his totally mad, insanely beautiful arch top semi-hollow take on the Flying V. It’s not easy to take a design like that, make it utterly and emphatically your own, and make it uniquely elegant but that guitar nails it...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    JayGee said:
    Wonky said:

I own a Jon Case guitar which is a really wonderful creation, truly a perfect guitar in many ways.  Does everything from Zeppelin type stuff to Joe Pass (neck with the tone on 3) and even some proper shred into the right amp.  The Bareknuckles in it are wonderful too and obviously British made.  
    Jon Case deserves serious consideration just on the basis of his totally mad, insanely beautiful arch top semi-hollow take on the Flying V. It’s not easy to take a design like that, make it utterly and emphatically your own, and make it uniquely elegant but that guitar nails it...
    Jon makes some awesome looking guitars and is a nice guy to match . 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    @elkay Have you picked up the pickups yet?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    NelsonP said:
    Indeed. I think we need photos to celebrate The Great Handover.
    <space for hire>
  • elkayelkay Frets: 77
    NelsonP said:
    No, unfortunately mum's in hospital, and I have to spend a lot of time to-ing and fro-ing therefrom. Perhaps I'll pm Feline to beg his forgiveness and indulgence, and ask him if he could post them to me if I sent him the cost of doing so.
  • PittsterPittster Frets: 15

Seth Baccus. One of the nicest people on the planet, and makes a mighty fine guitar too. 
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    JayGee said:
    Wonky said:

I think you're right about the V, really lovely and individual looking.
    I'm gonna get another Jon Case guitar in the future, not the V though as I don't get on with them for practical reasons, they don't fit me well.  I really like all his designs if I'm honest.  His take on making the classics better is my kind of thing and the finishes are stunning too.  Top work.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    I’ve tried, borrowed or bought:
    Feline
    Eggle (early and later PJ Eggle)
    Rob Williams 
    Haydn Williams
    Manson
    Seth Baccus
    Gray
    Fidelity
    Waghorn 
    Crimson
    Bravewood 
    Blackmachine
    Eternal
    Flame
    Andrew Guyton
    Jaden Rose
    Martyn Booth

Horses for courses and all that, but they were all great at their own thing and I prefer them all to the big 3 for quality, fit and finish.
    Les Paul: I’ve kept the Feline, would buy a Baccus (if it had the deep c carve neck profile)
    Strat: I’d buy the Gray or a Bravewood
    Tele: I’d buy the Eternal 
    Anything else: Martyn Booth or Manson

Ive heard good things about Probett but have never managed to try one. I think I’ve also played an Ivison but it could well have been the original 50s reference guitar (which is Kudos to Ivison if it wasn’t).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Hootsmon said:
    Since we are on the subject.here's another question....

LP Junior CS 57 guitars keep their value much better compared to the regular USA LP Juniors, how do the UK builders guitars fit in with regard to resale/value?
    ^ Anyone?
    tae be or not tae be
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    Hootsmon said:
    Hootsmon said:

LP Junior CS 57 guitars keep their value much better compared to the regular USA LP Juniors, how do the UK builders guitars fit in with regard to resale/value?
    ^ Anyone?
    I don’t really agree with the initial statement. CS Juniors are now about £3k new and used fetch anywhere between £1000-1500. I sold mine for that and there was a refin guitar going round the forum members a couple of years ago for around £900. You could previously pick up standard juniors for between £400-900 and they’re probably still fetching that used depending on age and condition.

As for UK luthier resale value, there is undoubtedly an initial hit if you’re buying new but no worse than the CS example above. The challenge with resale in this instance is the pool of people that will have sufficient capital to buy the guitar and be into the detail enough for an independent build is significantly lower than the audience that have capital and want an investment or something to display etc. So if you want a quick sale you’ll have to drop the price, if you hold out for the right buyer you’re likely to get a decent price.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Hootsmon said:

It’s an interesting question and one I was asked recently in an enquiry for a build. As far as I’m aware, I’ve not seen any of my builds on the secondhand market yet, which is heartening but doesn’t give an answer to the question of course!

I think, from my point of view as a builder and as a customer, if I was thinking of resale going into a build with any luthier, then having something built bespoke to my own spec would kind of be pointless, as you’ll inevitably take a hit if what you have spec’d isn’t exactly what someone else wants or doesn’t have a wide appeal.

With regards to more ‘standard’ builds, I think the reputation of the builder, the quality of the guitar and his output (if you’d be jumping a considerable waiting list) all play a part in second hand value.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • elkayelkay Frets: 77
    edited August 2019
    NelsonP said:
    Indeed. I think we need photos to celebrate The Great Handover.
    I wasn't able to pick up the pickups, but Feline very kindly posted them to me, huge kudos to them. They're in incredibly good condition for 20-year old pickups, like new old stock. I'd post a picture of the 20th Anniversary re-union if I could get Imgur to work for me. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    Martyn Booth
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Got to be @IvisonGuitars for me, Neil is the king!
    I love probett and otherwise nothing grabs me