Time signatures

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    viz said:
    Wow those are good lists! Please add Rachmaninov Isle of the Dead and Tchaikovsky 6th symphony 2nd movement to 5/4. And give them a listen, they’re amazing
    I was only listening to Tchaik 6 from the Proms the other day - love that piece.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10696

viz said:
    Wow those are good lists! Please add Rachmaninov Isle of the Dead and Tchaikovsky 6th symphony 2nd movement to 5/4. And give them a listen, they’re amazing
    I was only listening to Tchaik 6 from the Proms the other day - love that piece.

R.

it's the best and darkest and most tragic symphony of them all! even the 3rd movement is somehow grotesque - never lifts the mood. and the 4th movement omg.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2636
    It's not on Spotify, but Thrak by the League of Crafty Guitarists is in 5 and 7 at the same time ( couple of bars of just 5 at the beginning and in the middle):

With flashy Fripp intro:

Straight into the thrakking part:

(I think there's someone playing a third bit in 11 in the second half, but it's usually done without.)

It's actually a hell of a lot of fun to do.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I like this thread.

Wrote a song with verses in 9/8 once, but shan't spam.
  • I love the variety of styles that comes up whenever I have this conversation too.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    How could I have forgotten this 7/4 classic?!

• Intro in 6/4. Verses alternate lines of 5/4 and 7/4.

https://youtu.be/d9gCN9-Jnfg