making offers to shops on used guitars

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I like to approach it the same way that Terry Tibbs would.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Schnozz said:
    I like to approach it the same way that Terry Tibbs would.
    "CS Strat - Talk to me"
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I bought a new American Performer JM this week and tried my luck with discounts. Andertons wouldn’t do anything and a very friendly shop in East London gave me nearly 20% off the RRP. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Or just buy from people that don't overprice there stuff to begin with. 
    My local independent shop generally prices secondhand stuff to move (so, in line with eBay prices or lower). Stuff they own outright (not consignment) they're happy to chat prices. They get decent stuff in and, as a result, they’ve got far more money off me than i’d like!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    bbill335 said:
    Or just buy from people that don't overprice there stuff to begin with. 
    My local independent shop generally prices secondhand stuff to move (so, in line with eBay prices or lower). Stuff they own outright (not consignment) they're happy to chat prices. They get decent stuff in and, as a result, they’ve got far more money off me than i’d like!
    My local shop is run by decent people they tend to make me offers I can't refuse ;))
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1347
    Always haggle on stuff in shops. I really don’t see the problem if you’re a genuine buyer and polite about it.

Just the other day I haggled £200 of the price of a used Les Paul Standard I’m Guitar Guitar. I got it for a decent price and I’m very sure they wouldn’t have accepted if they weren’t making a profit on it still.
    Absolutely agree; Be polite. It is irritating to experience a smug buyer with an obvious sense of entitlement implying that they are doing you a favour with their lowball offer, because nobody else will want it. Be nice, state the price at which you're interested/can afford and be gracious if they won't accept. Goodwill is a massively underrated commodity, as is empathy.
    I have had sellers come back to me a week later, agreeing to an offer.

I always enquire as to what a seller can do on price, based on me being there, present, willing to do a deal and with the money in my pocket. There is space for negotiation almost every time.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    rico said:
    I bought a new American Performer JM this week and tried my luck with discounts. Andertons wouldn’t do anything and a very friendly shop in East London gave me nearly 20% off the RRP. 
    Andertons aren't the best for negotiations on price.  You can often get things cheaper elsewhere.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Some of the hardest haggling I've had is with eBay sellers after an items third or fourth relisting ,.crazy really, especially if you aren't taking the piss at all
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5424
    edited August 2019
    sweepy said:
    Some of the hardest haggling I've had is with eBay sellers after an items third or fourth relisting ,.crazy really, especially if you aren't taking the piss at all
    I’ve got things on eBay that I’m not absolutely desperate to shift. Would rather wait for the right buyer, and if I feel like it I will reduce the price occasionally. 

Don’t assume just because something has been for sale a long time that you have a right to a much lower  price... private sellers often have very different motivations from shops.