making offers to shops on used guitars

What's Hot
bloomerbloomer Frets: 40
I've seen a used custom shop strat I really like on the website of a major retailer but it's £2700 and when you consider that custom shops turn up on here all the the time for under 2k I really don't want to be paying that much! Is it considered outrageous to make an offer to a shop on used gear? If so what kind of offer do you think would be reasonable? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 2582
    Depends on the Custom Shop models, considering a good spec CS Strat is nearly £3.5k new 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 68
    Why not, worse that can happen is that they say no
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AnchorboyAnchorboy Frets: 252
    @Bloomer ... if you don't ask you don't get! Retailers are finding it hard too .. I'd always ask - worse they can say is no!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 2582
    Cash is king, but some places are easier to negotiate with than others
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 233
    Absolutely make an offer. I do it all the time and in most instances I get a deal.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 1384
    Yeah walk in give it a play and ask what their best price is. You'll probs save a couple of hundred just by asking
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 2794
    Like Collings above, I would always make an offer, usually get something. In fact, I am likely to walk away if there is not some sort of reduction, even if I really want it.
    # Previously Stevieb76 on the old Music Radar #
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 6262
    It's always worth a go - and it is kind of "the done thing" with guitar shops.  Even I haggle a bit and I'm one of the most socially awkward, least confident people you could ever meet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 3532
    You can't pay wages or rent with unsold guitars.
    How much does it weigh? & Does it play like butter?

You can now read my insane guitar ramblings daily here http://www.gearnews.com

https://www.instagram.com/jefstone/
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 333
    ANYTHING used is fair game as far as I’m concerned. Find out the best original sale price if you can/it was originally sold in the age of the internet. If it’s more than 70% of the new price you’ve got loads of wiggle room!

You can always walk away and leave your number. Selling any item in almost any industry for over £2.5k could be the difference between a good and a bad weekend, week or month for some shops, regardless of the profit they make. Summer is usually slow in retail.. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 4377
    Don’t feel bad. Id ask for the best price on new gear.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 15816
    Guitar shops are no different to any other shops that sell 2nd hand goods. Haggling is more or less expected.
    Or 'de rigueur' if you want to get pretentious about it.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 1716
    stonevibe said:
    You can't pay wages or rent with unsold guitars.
    Or profit......
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 2582
    Personally if I’m interested in used gear in a shop I ask them what their best price is rather than just make an offer. Then if their best price is still more than you want to pay, you can always try a lower offer. Good luck with it.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 2089
    Do some people really haggle with shops for brand new guitars?

Are we only talking Custom Shop level or even for like 600 quid production models?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 2582
    edited August 13
    thegummy said:

Are we only talking Custom Shop level or even for like 600 quid production models?
    I don’t buy new guitars but if I did I’d certainly ask first “is that your best price”? Why wouldn’t anyone do that? 

I’ve bought a few used pieces from a certain well known high-end guitar retailer and have always got a better deal than the advertised price. I can’t believe people would just stump up the ticket price without even politely asking if there’s a deal to be had!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thegummy said:

Is that a serious question?

thegummy said:

I don’t buy new guitars but if I did I’d certainly ask first “is that your best price”? Why wouldn’t anyone do that? 
    Cause it's a pure brass neck lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 15816
    You have to riffle a big wad of cash right under their noses.
    I don't know if it's the look of the cash or the smell of it but it often catches their attention.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 2496
    Sassafras said:
    You have to riffle a big wad of cash right under their noses.
    I don't know if it's the look of the cash or the smell of it but it often catches their attention.
    Does this actually work at shops anymore? It costs a fortune now to handle cash at the bank and it’s a huge inconvenience time-wise too...
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 1057
    Set out your position first, ie I really like this but I know I can pick them up used for £x. I'm a cash / credit card / finance buyer, what sort of deal can you do? 

Do it all with a smile and you often get good results. 

Cash, today in their account can be extremely helpful for businesses, don't forget that! 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 548
    Or just buy from people that don't overprice there stuff to begin with. 
    MYMUSIC

I wanna be a door
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 391
    thegummy said:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/160006/your-best-guitar-related-shop-haggles/p1
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 6359
    tFB Trader
    A lot of secondhand guitars you see in shops are actually being sold on commission for guys like yourselves. 
    The shop may well listen but they'd have to go and ask the person selling if they'll take less for their guitar (shop will be working on 10 or 15-20% these days in most cases). 
    Because of eBay and Reverb, sites like this and so forth few will sell outright to a shop at a price that the shop would wish to have enough margin to have money tied up in stock that may or may not sell like they would pre-internet, so sales on a commission basis are more likely

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of Earvana nuts, BKP, Oil City And Monty's pickups. Sperzel, Tonepros, Gotoh and Graphtech too!
    Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• teradaterada Frets: 4377
    edited August 13
    thegummy said:

Nope. Everything. Even strings
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/160006/your-best-guitar-related-shop-haggles/p1
    Oof, kind of scary that I completely forgot asking the same question one month ago.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 6359
    edited August 13 tFB Trader
    By all means ask, but don't be offended or put off the shop if they can't comply.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of Earvana nuts, BKP, Oil City And Monty's pickups. Sperzel, Tonepros, Gotoh and Graphtech too!
    Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Always put in an offer , nothing to loose everything to gain
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 233
    Personally if I’m interested in used gear in a shop I ask them what their best price is rather than just make an offer. Then if their best price is still more than you want to pay, you can always try a lower offer. Good luck with it.
    I tend to take the opposite approach in many instances. I always know what i'm willing to pay and I just offer them that always stating if they accept I'll buy the guitar that day and pay by any method that suits them although these days that tends to make no difference.

I guess there is the chance with this approach that I may pay more than the lowest price they would have accepted.

I think its good to build up good relationships with the dealers over years, so for the ones I generally buy from, they already know i'm a serious if I enquire about a guitar and very often they will always say "we can do you a good deal on that as its you" and we go from there. I got some significant reductions from the price tag over the years.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 39454
    As long as you ask sensibly and not with a “you’ll never get that for it” type attitude, you have nothing to lose and the shop should not take offence. But as already said, it’s quite likely they’re selling it on commission for a customer and they may have little room for movement.

The difference between £2700 and a typical private sale price of £2000 also reflects that with a shop, you’re getting a guarantee (or you should be from any reputable one), you can use a credit card, and they may accept trade-ins, all of which you won’t get with a private seller - so if you’re paying cash and not trading anything in there may still be a small amount of room for negotiation. Don’t be surprised if the important word is ‘small’ though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson