PSA: John Page Classic Ashburn HSS guitars - £799 at Coda

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    impmann said:
    Sorry, but these are a bit wonky donkey for me... 

I think there may have been a reason that they never sold at their full rrp.
    Their full price was definitely too high. 

£11-1200 tops would have been more than acceptable. 

Still think they are a bargain at the blowout price. They are very good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    great deal imo
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    I found an AJ on eBay for a decent price.  It's superb, really a professional instrument, like a Tele that's been redesigned for more modern times.  Really a benchmark for construction quality, playability, and tone.  

The only gripe is the (presumed) urethane finish is so thin it easily dings.  I don't mind a mild relic look, particularly as it was like that when I took ownership, but it would be a bummer to damage a pristine instrument so easily.  Coda have one with a modest discount of £1,000 (!) because it's picked up one or two similar flaws.  That's a proper bargain.

I wonder if super-thin urethane finishes are a Japanese thing?  My Gretsch 6118 was discounted heavily because of a couple of spots of finish damage.  I knocked it with a strap lock, minimal force, and a chip came off.  You just have to accept the fragility - pre-dinged is the way to go!
  • I found an AJ on eBay for a decent price.  It's superb, really a professional instrument, like a Tele that's been redesigned for more modern times.  Really a benchmark for construction quality, playability, and tone.  

The only gripe is the (presumed) urethane finish is so thin it easily dings.  I don't mind a mild relic look, particularly as it was like that when I took ownership, but it would be a bummer to damage a pristine instrument so easily.  Coda have one with a modest discount of £1,000 (!) because it's picked up one or two similar flaws.  That's a proper bargain.

I wonder if super-thin urethane finishes are a Japanese thing?  My Gretsch 6118 was discounted heavily because of a couple of spots of finish damage.  I knocked it with a strap lock, minimal force, and a chip came off.  You just have to accept the fragility - pre-dinged is the way to go!
    With the thick gloop you usually see on imports, could be considered a welcome refreshing change. But the heart always drops upon the first ding/chip discovery on the newly beloved. 

Had a Japanese/Fujigen made guitar before - thought the poly was slapped on thick, so wouldn’t consider it as a regional feature.

Thin skin John Page’s could be a remnant from  his previous Fender Custom Shop habits.