Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cheapest way to buy strings?

What's Hot
Any good insights for buying strings? I love elixirs for gigging but they're too dam expensive. I find I need to change uncoated strings after each gig as well, so can also get pricey.

Thinking about doing the big box of D'addario thing, but if anybody has any better ideas, itd be cool to hear them! 
Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
  Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I bought some strings from @FelineGuitars and they were pretty good. 10+ packs gets you down to £5 a set, which isn't bad...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• markjmarkj Frets: 917
    Amazon for all my strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Always liked the idea of that big box of D'addario with all the strings loose in each compartment - looks so cool lol. Just never had that kind of money at hand to spend on strings even though I would be going through that amount int he long term.

BTW, anyone got a link to that thread about the new upcoming D'addarios? I can't find it with the search function, was only a week ago or so.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9698
    Buy fake ones off ebay.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Go into guitar shops and nick them while no-one's looking.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    Strings direct is the answer, surely...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great website, used to use every time and still the first place I check. I kind of use it as a directory of strings almost.

But lately they've rarely been the cheapest price unfortunately so I've tended to go to Amazon, especially since it's next or same day delivery.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4177
    Amazon have some good deals on D'addario now and then. No idea why people prefer to pay through the nose from Strings Direct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    I wait for the three packs of Elixirs to come up on offer on Amazon. They last so long I have to time to wait between offers!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    Scoring 43 copies of Guitar Magazine in January worked out pretty well for cheap Elixir supplies.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147112/free-elixir-optiweb-strings/p1
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24862
    Philtre said:
    Amazon have some good deals on D'addario now and then. No idea why people prefer to pay through the nose from Strings Direct.
    They occasionally do three sets for £9.99. I like the idea of supporting shops and smaller on-line businesses - but that’s too cheap to ignore for me.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    get on well with your local independent music store there's always a decent deal to be had ;)
    Philtre said:
    It's a tough one; obviously the more well off someone is the more moralistic they can be with purchases.

Sadly I don't have tons of money so find it hard to justify going with anything but the cheapest option.

But using Strings Direct as an example - their website is well organised and I can use it to browse available strings in an encyclopedic way whereas with Amazon it's pretty much just searching for the specific product I want. So because I use their website as a service, I would prefer to buy for them to thank them for that. As mentioned though, if they are significantly more expensive it can be hard for me to justify paying extra based on my finances.

Guitar shops is another one. Thankfully these days GuitarGuitar's shop tends to have just as good prices as the web but even if they're slightly more expensive, they offer the service of being able to go in and try the guitar out without having to order it then return it by courier. So for that service I'd rather give them my business in return.

I actually asked the guy last time I was in trying if there was any reason I should order a guitar in to the shop or just as well ordering online. He said that, even though the assistants don't work on commission in there, it lets the company know that the shops are worth having when items are bought in person. I felt it was a good point - I do like there being a physical shop.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 665
    I buy Rotosound strings from a music shop here in Auckland. They are very good, surprisingly cheap and made in Kent.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    thegummy said:
    Great website, used to use every time and still the first place I check. I kind of use it as a directory of strings almost.

But lately they've rarely been the cheapest price unfortunately so I've tended to go to Amazon, especially since it's next or same day delivery.
    They will price match genuine competition. you just have to ask on the phone.
    Mark1960 said:
    thegummy said:

"the phone". LOL.
    Philtre said:
    Mark1960 said:
    thegummy said:

"the phone". LOL.
    lol I did give Mark the deserved wis for giving that info but I'll be honest, I won't be picking up the phone to haggle for strings any time soon
    D'Addario EXL110-3D XL Nickel Wound Regular Light Electric Guitar Strings, 3 Pack

Strings Direct: £19.96
    Amazon: £14.70 (£11.96 when on offer)

Tough choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited August 2019
    Philtre said:
    D'Addario EXL110-3D XL Nickel Wound Regular Light Electric Guitar Strings, 3 Pack

Strings Direct: £19.96
    Amazon: £14.70 (£11.96 when on offer)

Tough choice.
    Yep, Strings Direct are really not that great on price these days. I use Gear 4 Music - they do the D'Addario EXL110-3D XL for £14.99 as do GAK. I've gone over to Fender strings, they really don't seem any inferior to D'Addario or other brands and £12.99 for 3 pack of 10-46.

Edit - Just seen GAK doing Fender 150r 10-46 3 pack for £11.19, that's £12.69 including postage.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Andertons do 4 for 3 on most packs of strings.