Starting up as a part time dealer and making an honest introduction.

What's Hot
fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 647
edited August 2019 in Guitar
Hi Guys, I've started buying & selling guitars as a part time job and thought it a good idea to make that open now, rather than have a lynch mob chasing me later on.

After messaging the admins asking where I stand as an amateur trader, they've kindly let me use the classifieds providing I follow the rules, contribute eniough and don't take the piss.

I shift 1 or 2 guitars a week and it's a hobby as much as a money earner. Most of the stuff is low end and will never see the forum as I do well enough on Facebook, Gumtree, Reverb and Ebay. If I post a guitar here it'll likely be higher end, American Vintage and Reissue Fenders (mostly because I only buy what I like). If/when I do post somthing it will always be fairly priced with a lower price on the fourm than other places.

This is an amazing community and I will do my best to contribute where I can. There will be absolutely NONE of the lying, lowballing or reselling of members gear on here that often comes from 'dodgy' traders. I'm an honest person and working musician, making some extra money selling gear (and even declaring it to the taxman)

There are a few fretboarders that can vouch for me not being a total knob end if needed.

Anyway, enough of my waffling, but I think this post is the right thing to do!

Lewis

Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
  Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Nice one! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Whether your a trader or not, that’s your business. As long as your up front, and people are getting a good deal, it’s a win’ win as far as I can see? #1 for laying your cards on the table.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9680
    edited August 2019
    Welcome, and thanks for being upfront about things. This is indeed a fantastic community and a great place to glean and share information on all things guitar related. I've had the good fortune to briefly meet a few of the members and they've all been great people. Enjoy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7148
    Good luck with your new business. I’d do it myself, but I just hate selling guitars!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    stonevibe said:
    Good luck with your new business. I’d do it myself, but I just hate selling guitars!
    Selling our shiny toys it such a wrench,,,,,,but you can buy new shiny toys with the spoils :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12376
    flyingv said:
    Whether your a trader or not, that’s your business. As long as your up front, and people are getting a good deal, it’s a win’ win as far as I can see? #1 for laying your cards on the table.
    This
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Those that read that post from an unhappy seller on one of your threads probably guessed this was the case.

Most of us have brought a guitar at the right price and moved it on - at no loss ;) - and my guess is that there are a few more on here doing the same as you.

Fair play to you, honesty best policy and all that. Good luck with it :+1: 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Nice one mate. Lewis is a stand up fella and great player to boot, best of luck with it! :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10480
    tFB Trader
    Welcome Lewis, that was a brilliant intro :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    As his ad states I can vouch for Lewis being a total knob end.

But seriously great guy and monster player, good luck on your new endeavour!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7181
    Best of luck, I never would have guessed you were in it as a side business because your prices seem very fair !  (or a 'side hustle' as the BBC like to call it nowadays, horrible expression)
  • Good work bruv!

Lewis is an honest and genuine guy. Great player if you haven't heard him do his stuff too. 

He was concerned as he didn't want to be pitch forked off tFB as he does genuinely give a toss about not fucking over the community.

Rest assured anything you buy from him, it's exactly as described and from my experience, he doesn't just buy any old rubbish. 

My recent purchase was from him (https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/162052/ngd-fender-american-original-60s-tele-pic-heavy#latest)
  • The warm welcome is really appreciated guys!

Its actually going quite well and while it's not raking in thousand, it's a decent part time job. Up until recently I just gave people offers for gear and hoped they said yes. I've now found that saying what I'm doing works BETTER and I now start any conversation with, 

"Hi, I buy/sell gear as a part time job and I'm always looking for stuff to sell. If you're willing to listen to lower offers, I can offer hassle free cash in hand and probably collect it. If not, no offence intended and good luck with the sale, it looks great! Lewis"

Its astonishing how receptive people are to that and actually give me an lower amount before I even ask! If not they normally say, No sorry, I'm holding out for the full amount. No harm done!

If I get a good deal I normally take a day or so to have some fun with it (thats the important bit), take the best photos I can, write a nice description and spam the internet with the listing. Most of the time, I make £50-150. Once or twice I've broken even.

It's definitely better to be completely open about it. Lesson learned with the disgruntled strat owner a few months ago. I didnt lie or cheat him out of money, but he didn't know I was buying it to sell on. If I'd disclosed that from the beginning, it probably wouldn't have gotten so out of hand. We learn from our mistakes  :3

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Now wondering by how much I’ve undersold the Firebird  ;)

Waiting on the UPS guy collecting, Lewis.

If you decide to sell it on and have ways and means of making a small profit then fair play. I was happy to receive payment within 24hrs of listing here and to avoid eBay.
  • TINMAN82 said:

If you decide to sell it on and have ways and means of making a small profit then fair play. I was happy to receive payment within 24hrs of listing here and to avoid eBay.
    Ha! I literally just sent you a PM about this! Lol

I actually didn't buy the bird to flip, I sold a cherry red one years ago and regretted it ever since! 

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    TINMAN82 said:

Ha! I literally just sent you a PM about this! Lol

I actually didn't buy the bird to flip, I sold a cherry red one years ago and regretted it ever since! 
    Cool. I hope you like it then. I’ve left the 11’s on (loosened off in the case) so I guess you’ll want to look at the setup before making any decisions.
  • I've bought from Lewis and everything was exactly as described and at a great price. I would be happy to recommend to any potential buyers. Good luck with the venture.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • good luck lewis!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5050
    Well said! And good luck with it. :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/