Strat tremolo arm too stiff

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    I've not made any changes yet but had the guitar out yesterday and there's actually only 3 springs anyway. Would taking one out be ok?
    10s usually work better with three. Just undo the claw screws a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I've not made any changes yet but had the guitar out yesterday and there's actually only 3 springs anyway. Would taking one out be ok?
    10s usually work better with three. Just undo the claw screws a bit.
    I use 10s. I'll try undoing the screws and see how i get on. Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If there are only 3 springs at the moment, just slacken the 2 claw screws.

As your bridge is flat to the body, put a clip on tuner on the headstock, keep slackening the 2 screws (balancing the load) and then the tuner shows any indication of going flat you are just beyond the point where the strings/springs are balanced. Tighten the screws slightly and you have the trem at the 'loosest' point for this 'flat to the body' setup.

At this point you are likely to find that when you are playing bends the other strings go a little flat - especially noticeable when playing multiple strings, double stop bends etc.  If this is a prolem, tighten the claw screws a little, then keep trying these bends until you are happy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom