Advice on Les Paul buying.....

What's Hot
Hey,
So I'll try to keep this post short, but I'm just wanting some advice from more the more experienced buyers...

So I'm 16 in 2 weeks, I currently have an Ibanez RG370AHMZ and a custom hart guitars explorer.  I'm gonna put a new SC in my Ibanez and rewire it to make it even more versatile.  I also have quite a few other guitars along with my dad's, but these are my two main guitars.  I'm into metal primarily, but also blues, rock, jazz...  whatever really

I'm now thinking that I could open a new savings account and pay a bit in each month and gradually build up to being able to afford a Gibson Les Paul...  In 20 years obviously lol.  I see a few on the classifieds now and again, 80s models for £2k ish and I know it would obviously depend on the individual guitar but I feel like I'm covered for gear at the minute and wondering wether saving up for a guitar I've always wanted is better than buying several more midrange guitars...

Also, what would you look at? A new or old LP? I'd like one with a finish that will wear (nitro??) or has worn by being played, just something that will develop character and has/ will develop its life with me if that makes sense. It would have to be a heavy (in weight) guitar for mainly heavy (sonically) rock/ metal/ blues...

There is just so much out there, so many snobs and people voicing their opinions as fact and it's hard to know where to start looking other than to see one and say you like it or not...

I really appreciate any help,

Cheers!  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27801
    If you really want a LP, then anything else you buy won't satisfy your desire for a LP.

There are lots of good guitars out there though, and at your tender age, you've probably not tried all of them yet.

So, whilst saving, get out there and play as many different guitars as you can.  That might be in shops, or trying out your mates guitars, or whatever, wherever.  

people voicing their opinions as fact 
    The only opinion that's really fact is your own
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited August 2019
     wether saving up for a guitar I've always wanted is better than buying several more midrange guitars...
    Yes.

You're already covered for gear so what would several more midrange guitars give you? Some novelty value at first then nothing?

Is your desire for a Les Paul from experience of playing one? I ask that because they feel very different to something like an RG.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    For heavy weight and heavy rock/metal tone, get a Custom.

Yes, one great guitar is better than several average (or even good) ones. A Les Paul Custom is actually a very versatile guitar, you can play anything from jazz to metal and anything in between on one.

At the price they are new I wouldn't even consider anything other than second hand.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6800
    You could buy mine. It sounds amazing, has a wonderful neck and looks beautiful. It will age in a lovely way too. And it's not hideously expensive!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/157081/fs-gibson-les-paul-traditional-2014-120th-anniversary#latest
  • markjmarkj Frets: 917
    I might be tempted to sell my traditional gold top if you’re interested. I live quite local to you.
  • TTony said:
    If you really want a LP, then anything else you buy won't satisfy your desire for a LP.

There are lots of good guitars out there though, and at your tender age, you've probably not tried all of them yet.

So, whilst saving, get out there and play as many different guitars as you can.  That might be in shops, or trying out your mates guitars, or whatever, wherever.  
    The only opinion that's really fact is your own
    ;)
    Yeah, I play most guitars I see and while I've not played every one in existence, pretty much all my time is spent playing guitar, looking at them or making coffee lol. Having an LP has always just attracted me and I've never gone off it... don't know where it comes from but it's there..

Thanks man!
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    There are too many flavours and ranges of Les Pauls for someone to give you a worthy answer here. You need to go and play lots to decide which neck profile (primarily) you prefer. Then take it from there based on your budget.

You’re RG may already cover the tonal bases well enough for what you play (and it’s probably easier to play than many LPs).
  • thegummy said:

Is your desire for a Les Paul from experience of playing one? I ask that because they feel very different to something like an RG.
    Yeah, played a few and they're  just magical instruments... My RG would be for heavy shredding, this would be for.. not that..... you know what I'm getting at!
    Cheers!
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    by well second hand and if you don't get on with it you'll sell it for about what you paid for it.

a Les Paul doesn't have to be heavy to rock.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    For heavy weight and heavy rock/metal tone, get a Custom.

Yes, one great guitar is better than several average (or even good) ones. A Les Paul Custom is actually a very versatile guitar, you can play anything from jazz to metal and anything in between on one.

At the price they are new I wouldn't even consider anything other than second hand.
    Why would you go for a custom over a standard? What are the differences and is it worth the extra money?
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    If you’re lookong second hand, there were especially good ones around 58 and 59  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10882
    tFB Trader
    I would agree with several others that if you want a Les Paul ... get a proper Gibson Les Paul ... you will no doubt get the usual chorus of get a Greco or a Tokai etc etc, but if you really want a Gibson Les paul any of the substitutes will leave you still yearning for the real thing. 
    No I don't agree with Gibson's current stance re 'play authentic' and all that bollocks, but get yourself a nice older one and you'll have a guitar for life (I personally wouldn't touch a new one with a barge pole). 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:
    You could buy mine. It sounds amazing, has a wonderful neck and looks beautiful. It will age in a lovely way too. And it's not hideously expensive!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/157081/fs-gibson-les-paul-traditional-2014-120th-anniversary#latest
    Thanks for the link, beautiful guitar but I'm not quite there yet...
  • markj said:
    I might be tempted to sell my traditional gold top if you’re interested. I live quite local to you.
    I won't be able to afford it but just out of interest, how much is the asking price?
    Love my goldtops, the finish will be the most difficult choice for me
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    merlin said:

In that case go for a used studio. Loads of nice ones around including interesting colours like pelham blue.
  • terada said:
    If you’re lookong second hand, there were especially good ones around 58 and 59  ;)
    Dunno if you saw... I'm 16 ;)
  • I would agree with several others that if you want a Les Paul ... get a proper Gibson Les Paul ... you will no doubt get the usual chorus of get a Greco or a Tokai etc etc, but if you really want a Gibson Les paul any of the substitutes will leave you still yearning for the real thing. 
    No I don't agree with Gibson's current stance re 'play authentic' and all that bollocks, but get yourself a nice older one and you'll have a guitar for life (I personally wouldn't touch a new one with a barge pole). 
    Seems to be the common advice.. I love Gibsons still but the play authentic disaster, and then destroying hundreds of Firebirds.... I cried at that video
  • TINMAN82 said:
    merlin said:

In that case go for a used studio. Loads of nice ones around including interesting colours like pelham blue.
    To be honest I think I'd rather go for a straight LP, maybe JP wiring at the most. I think cool switching has its place but for me, a Gibson is a plug and play kinda thing... Unless @ICBM can convince me to look at customs  ;)
  • pmbomb said:
    by well second hand and if you don't get on with it you'll sell it for about what you paid for it.

a Les Paul doesn't have to be heavy to rock.

ooohhhh yeeaaahh it does man ;)