Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Car boot swag

What's Hot
prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
I picked this up for a tenner yesterday.

After putting on a strap button, adding the missing string, tightening up a couple of screws, and loosening the truss-rod to allow the back-bow to relax out, it's quite a nice guitar to play...

I haven't yet tried plugging it in.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    Nice, I've never seen anything apart from obscure church vinyls, VHS tapes and old clothes at the ones I've been too so that's a big score I'd say!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Nice, I think any guitar for a tenner is a great deal, especially one that’s not the usual bottom of the barrel Argos stock.

I’ve got the tele version of that guitar and it does play well. Swap out the electronics, add some shielding and it should be good to gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Set of strings with a free guitar attached. :)

prowla said:
    Good luck. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Nicely done.

Must be worth at least eleven quid ;-)

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85 said:
    Nice, I've never seen anything apart from obscure church vinyls, VHS tapes and old clothes at the ones I've been too so that's a big score I'd say!
    Dunno if PMT Birmingham do one but PMT Manchester have a car boot sale every year.  Got a Morely Vai Bad Horsie for £30... might be worth a look
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DoodlegameDoodlegame Frets: 28
    edited August 2019
    Maynehead said:
    Nice, I think any guitar for a tenner is a great deal, especially one that’s not the usual bottom of the barrel Argos stock.

I’ve got the tele version of that guitar and it does play well. Swap out the electronics, add some shielding and it should be good to gig.
    Cheapie guitars are great to mess arround with, picked up a strat for £11 on eBay, waiting for a new pickguard but for under £100ish I should have at least a cool looking guitar.... 

https://ibb.co/ngqKVB2
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nicely done.

I'd have paid at least 12  :3
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Set of strings with a free guitar attached. :)

prowla said:
    Good luck. 
    Thanks a bunch!
    Nicely done.

I'd have paid at least 12  :3
    Arf! :-)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Nice catch. Any half decent electric is worth a tenner.

I like to trawl boot sales at the weekend looking for old watches (my other hobby) and bits and pieces. 

The thrill of the hunt!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    Any playable guitar has to be worth a tenner, but that really is ugly! You could probably improve it by bandsawing round the edge of the pickguard and turning it into a travel guitar...

:) 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Yep!! I picked up a Westfield Strat and a small combo for 20 quid last week while on holiday - OK, its a Westfield, but it actually plays OK and for 20 quid it was worth it just to keep me from getting bored on holiday while the kids were still in bed at 11 AM....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Nice find . I’ve tried to stop picking up boot sale “bargains” as I started to become overrun with old guitars that needed refurbishment. At one time I was doing quite nicely buying Squier guitars for around the £20 mark and selling them on eBay for £70-£90 after setting them up and fitting a new set of cheap strings. Eventually it became too much bother for a few quid, I really must get rid of the leftovers, perhaps I’ll take them to a boot sale....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    edited August 2019
    Be careful, this is how HarrySeven got started, and now look at him, a Channel 4 documentary waiting to happen...
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10480
    tFB Trader
    I've found those cheap Peavey guitars and basses actually have rather nice necks. I had a JB style bass that was very pleasant to play.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• That corner of the living room grows by the day @prowla . Wish car boot sales near me had stuff like this and not the usual fake Stone Island gear and broken kids toys from the 90s.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Did it come with a case?
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    CloudNine said:
    Be careful, this is how HarrySeven got started, and now look at him, a Channel 4 documentary waiting to happen...
    Cheek! ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mark1960 said:
    Did it come with a case?
    Its original gig-bag (which is a bit tired, TBH).

And a decent lead.
    I've found those cheap Peavey guitars and basses actually have rather nice necks. I had a JB style bass that was very pleasant to play.
    It is quite nice to play - I might put a new set of string on it!
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    CloudNine said:
    Cheek!
    A Harry Seven YouTube channel would be fantastic! I’d definitely be a subscriber.