Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone is a LIE

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2180
You may have seen these already, but I think these video's give some context to why the tone we want is unattainable. 

Tone is a LIE

Tone is TRUTH 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I want to know what's in that pipe he's smoking.

He seems to be suffering from a bad case of sophomania.

That unplugged Tele recorded on a laptop mic suddenly sounds good with other instruments added? Maybe if you're "tone" deaf...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10229
    That Tele into the mic was atrocious. Out of time, poorly played. 

What is this?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Parody.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I have seen quite a few instances where someone lacks the experience and/or listening skills to hear things properly and projects that as a fact as if they're whistle blowing and had a profound break through when they realised that everyone else is wasting their time caring about something relating to tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2180
    I think it's a bit of a joke, but the point is still true, regarding tone in context. I also think the second video is quite informative. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Not Tone..  Timbre.... :)  Even the main word is wrong  :P 

timbre
    noun
    noun: timbre; plural noun: timbres
    1. the character or quality of a musical sound or voice as distinct from its pitch and intensity.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He's done a great job of convincing himself. 

'Tone is tone' was his conclusion.
    So... that's that then.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    Rabs said:

timbre
    noun
    1. the character or quality of a musical sound or voice as distinct from its pitch and intensity.

I bet you comment on Facebook posts "it's their not there" :P 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Tone - Noun 

A musical or vocal sound with reference to its, pitch, quality and strength 

synonyms: timbre, sound, sound quality, voice, colour, sound colour etc.... 

maybe not 'so' wrong after all ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Rabs said:

timbre
    noun

Haha no.... That was from another thread about "tone".. This time it was just my turn to be a silly arse   :D  

I don't think actually its the language we use. Like creamy, scooped, crunchy etc etc..  Its what peoples exact expectations of those words mean, that's the issue because that comes from experience and even worse, individual taste so therefore is slightly different for everyone and why I think we get so caught up in trying to describe something that often comes from however we are feeling at any given time.

But hey.. If it were all as simple as that, we would all be amazing musicians with the best tone ever and we wouldn't need to discuss anything on here, apart from moaning about Gibsons QC or Rob Chapman or something.. Now that would really be boring :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Rabs said:
    thegummy said:
    Rabs said:

timbre
    noun

Haha no.... That was from another thread about "tone".. This time it was just my turn to be a silly arse   :D  

I don't think actually its the language we use. Like creamy, scooped, crunchy etc etc..  Its what peoples exact expectations of those words mean, that's the issue because that comes from experience and even worse, individual taste so therefore is slightly different for everyone and why I think we get so caught up in trying to describe something that often comes from however we are feeling at any given time.

But hey.. If it were all as simple as that, we would all be amazing musicians with the best tone ever and we wouldn't need to discuss anything on here, apart from moaning about Gibsons QC or Rob Chapman or something.. Now that would really be boring :)
    I made the original post.. I tried really hard to get my tongue even further into my cheek than I managed but it clearly wasn’t far enough ;)
    tFB Trader
    I made the original post.. I tried really hard to get my tongue even further into my cheek than I managed but it clearly wasn’t far enough ;)
    Well this is a guitar forum..  What do you expect  :) 

Im kind of surprised that I managed to mention ROB CHAPMAN without starting an argument   :P 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Rabs said:
    Well this is a guitar forum..  What do you expect  :) 

Im kind of surprised that I managed to mention ROB CHAPMAN without starting an argument   :P 
    Outside, now!

:)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited August 2019
    I quite like ROB CHAPMAN
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Came here just to make the timbre comment. Too late. Nice one @Rabs ; ;)
    tFB Trader
    terada said:
    Came here just to make the timbre comment. Too late. Nice one @Rabs ; ;)
    Well my next comment would have been.. If I hadn't have said it someone else would..

I should have known that would be you  :D  :+1:
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited August 2019
     The logic seems arse about face to me. There are 'sounds' that work in the context of the overall mix. But in isolation they might not sound great.

For example, guitar parts might sound good in isolation but too muddy in an overall mix. Removing the 'mud' can improve the overall mix, even though the guitars might then sound thin in isolation.

So there's the approach of starting with good isolated sounds, then applying sound sculpting to achieve a good mix. That's quite different to starting with a poor sound and then trying to place it in a mix. 
    It's not a competition.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    edited August 2019
    Outside Now
    This is The Central Scrutinizer.

“Imaginary guitar notes exist only in the imagination of the Imaginer.”
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another Zappa quote on the importance of timbre. ;)

The Ultimate Rule ought to be: 'If it sounds GOOD to you, it's bitchin'; if it sounds BAD to YOU, it's shitty. The more your musical experience, the easier it is to define for yourself what you like and what you don't like. American radio listeners, raised on a diet of _____ (fill in the blank), have experienced a musical universe so small they cannot begin to know what they like.

In radio music, timbre rules (the texture of the tune, i.e., "Purple Haze" played on accordion is very different from Hendrix playing it on a squealing feedback guitar).

On record, the overall timbre of the piece (determined by equalization of individual parts and their proportions in the mix) tells you, in a subtle way, WHAT the song is about. The orchestration provides important information about what the composition IS and, in some instances, assumes a greater importance than the composition itself.

The Real Frank Zappa Book (1990), p.188.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5758
    edited August 2019
    The concept that what you play and how you play it is fundamental, while what you play on or through is marginal at best, seems pretty solid to me