Guitar pedal storage ideas.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
My pedal storage up until this point has consisted of large plastic tubs in a corner of a room.
Fine but not easily accessible.

Someone had a nifty wall display for their pedals a few weeks ago.
I don't want to do that in my studio as I need to be able to move things around.

Does anyone have any good ideas of furniture/cabinetry that will allow me to have all my pedals (about 100 or so) out and accessible in the studio?
I was thinking of a bunch of Ikea Billy bookshelves with extra shelving but open to something better.

I have a 2.3m high ceiling and would prefer something tall and thin, rather than low and wide.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    How about some kind of rack shelving, which has slanted shelves with a lip at the bottom to stop them falling off? 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    The IKEA CD units or Morliden unit, which has a glass door and so would help with keeping dust out?
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Map drawers, which would be a bit like having multistorey pedalboards.
    Or a modified ikea unit with shallow drawers like this one. They do a tall thin version called 'Alex'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3989
    Something like:  ?

Idea shamelessly stolen from Lyle Workman
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Ikea do a picture shelf or ledge thing in a couple of colours and sizes. I used them to put pedals on, leant back they look good. Also quick to out up and cheap to buy. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Fuengi said:
    Ikea do a picture shelf or ledge thing in a couple of colours and sizes. I used them to put pedals on, leant back they look good. Also quick to out up and cheap to buy. 
    Won't work as the studio will have soft walls- rock wool covered with acoustic cloth.
    I need something portable.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    edited August 2019
    I'm imagining your studio....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6136
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Fuengi said:
    Won't work as the studio will have soft walls- rock wool covered with acoustic cloth.
    I use a 5x5 Kallax system from ikea. Some squares are open, others I add the doors too and in the bottom rows I use their pullout bins.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    to summarise the answers.. i think they are suggesting that you need to make a trip to IKEA :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    ThorpyFX said:
    octatonic said:
    Fuengi said:
    I use a 5x5 Kallax system from ikea. Some squares are open, others I add the doors too and in the bottom rows I use their pullout bins.....
    This one?
    Do you have any photos of how you have your set up?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kallax-shelving-unit-white-stained-oak-effect-90324509/
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    octatonic said:
    Fuengi said:
    This one?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kallax-shelving-unit-white-stained-oak-effect-90324509/
    Yes, exactly like this I’ll try and take photos tomorrow.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    octatonic said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    octatonic said:
    Fuengi said:
    This one?

Yes, exactly like this I’ll try and take photos tomorrow.....
    here you go......... please excuse the mess.

https://i.imgur.com/wBAsVda.jpg
    Yes that is what I need.
    Brilliant.
    Cheers.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I saw someone recently that had shelves that had a groove/dado slot near the front edge. That way the pedal sat in the groove at an angle against the wall and was visible and accessable. Different size pedals might require different depth shelves.
    It seemed simple, could be cost effective or 'designer grade' , the only downside would be dusting I guess (whatever that is).

ESBlonde said:
    I saw someone recently that had shelves that had a groove/dado slot near the front edge. That way the pedal sat in the groove at an angle against the wall and was visible and accessable. Different size pedals might require different depth shelves.
    It seemed simple, could be cost effective or 'designer grade' , the only downside would be dusting I guess (whatever that is).

Unfortunately that won't work in my studio as it will have a lot of bass trapping and you can't attach things through the rock wool, at least not easily.
    I really need something freestanding and moveable.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Hang them all from the ceiling?
    ennspek said:
    Hang them all from the ceiling?
    Actually Dual Lock to the ceiling would be kinda cool.
    Might fuck with my acoustics a bit though.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    You need one of these!

Pedals in the basket, and you can wheel your lunch from the kitchen. Fills all the criteria (movable + storage) and you get lunch! win win!

:)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    What about a rack case with just pedal drawers?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    What about a rack case with just pedal drawers?
    I used to do this but it ends up quite expensive as you get more pedals.

Rack draws (2-3u) can hold 5-7 pedals each, unless they are tiny ones, which I don't really have so I'd need about 20 of them and then 60u of racking in a studio with quite a lot of racking already.

Also metal on metal (like a pedal in a draw) tends to end up with weird resonances, which is why I got rid of the rack draws.