Guitaraid London has closed? Where to go in South Lond

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2305
I see that Greg Has left London. Shame he did nice service work on my many amps. 

Where else does a great job for a sensible price on amps in south London that I can drive and park to deliver and collect kit? 

I dont know the guys operating from his old site in Fulham. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BenBen Frets: 114
    Such a shame, Greg always did fantastic work on my guitars.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 634
    Yeah, he was also helpful to me when I was closer to that part of the world. The website says there's another business in the same spot: http://www.putneyamps.co.uk/
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2305
    Lovely guy to do business with.

I wonder whether Brexit pressure did for him and his family. Not the first I’ve come across if so. 

Anyway I need an alternative. Not sure I want to risk it with the new boys there without a couple of good recommendations. Mistakes can be expensive.

Just need servicing of a couple of valve amps that have developed small issues. I am in SW2. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    I don't know if he's taking in amp repairs now but you could give Jon Dickenson a ring and ask. He's at Antenna Studios in Crystal Palace, parking available.

I've only used him for guitar repairs (he is an amp builder though) - he's a decent bloke and knows his onions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    http://www.richmondguitarworkshop.com are still there aren't they?
    Ex Chandlers lads.
    I haven't used them myself.

Otherwise, Charlie Chandler.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    octatonic said:
    Ex Chandlers lads.

I'm not sure that Andy and Andrew at Richmond Guitar Workshop do amps.  I think they just do guitars.

Charlie does have someone who does amps.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:
    Ex Chandlers lads.

I'm not sure that Andy and Andrew at Richmond Guitar Workshop do amps.  I think they just do guitars.

Ah ok, good to know.
    I don't know if he's taking in amp repairs now but you could give Jon Dickenson a ring and ask. He's at Antenna Studios in Crystal Palace, parking available.

I've only used him for guitar repairs (he is an amp builder though) - he's a decent bloke and knows his onions.

Good call! Seems a lovely chap too. Yes I'll give him a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi_hYdMXf5A

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    octatonic said:
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:
    Ex Chandlers lads.

Ah ok, good to know.
    Jesse Hoff used to do a lot of the amps at Chandlers before it closed.  He's concentrating on his Lazy J stuff now and not doing repairs.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    rze99 said:
    I see that Greg Has left London. Shame he did nice service work on my many amps. 

Where else does a great job for a sensible price on amps in south London that I can drive and park to deliver and collect kit? 

I took my guitars to Guitar Aid a few times, and all those times Greg took the details of the repair needed and the other guys carried out the repairs.  

Not sure the other guys names but I was pleased with the quality of their work so if it's the same guys I'd have no problems in taking my guitars there even if Greg's not around anymore. 
    rze99 said:

I took my guitars to Guitar Aid a few times, and all those times Greg took the details of the repair needed and the other guys carried out the repairs.  

Not sure the other guys names but I was pleased with the quality of their work so if it's the same guys I'd have no problems in taking my guitars there even if Greg's not around anymore. 
    Thank you that’s useful to know I’ll take that as one recommendation. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11626
    tFB Trader
    Shame to hear Greg has gone - we used to send pedal repairs his way.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498

Sorry to repeat myself again but the last time I went there (which was a year or so ago) when I went to Guitar Aid, I remember Greg was sat at the desk in the middle and there was another chap at the front who was working on pedal repairs. 

IMO, there's a chance the same guy might still be doing the same pedal repairs as before for the new company. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:

Jon is a good guy, does some fantastic work in his own amps and as far as I know still takes on repairs to pay the bills
  • Have used Greg a few times at Guitar Aid for pedal and amp work, he did a great job everytime and is a really nice guy. Shame to see he's moving.

I think its now changed to HighTide guitars and its still in the same location though I don't know if they do amp repairs.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    rze99 said:

Jon is a good guy, does some fantastic work in his own amps and as far as I know still takes on repairs to pay the bills
    Another +1 for Jon at Antenna.

If you weren't aware, the very distinctive looking Dickinson amps you may have seen Matt Bellamy of Muse use are his creation :) - http://dickinsonamps.com/product/mk2-combo/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11626
    tFB Trader

Sorry to repeat myself again but the last time I went there (which was a year or so ago) when I went to Guitar Aid, I remember Greg was sat at the desk in the middle and there was another chap at the front who was working on pedal repairs. 

IMO, there's a chance the same guy might still be doing the same pedal repairs as before for the new company. 
    Good point . i'll look into it more.
    As Feline are one of the prime choices for guitar repair and set-up in London we do get asked about amp and pedal repairs a lot too , so worth knowing who is good for those services, so we can refer people

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Used to visit Greg a lot when I lived in London for various bits of work. Really nice guy, hope things are okay for him
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6760
    edited August 2019

I second Jon. Very talented with amps and guitars. rewired and setup my les paul to perfection. Lovely chap too. 

Plus he makes those amazing amps for Matt Bellamy. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’m pretty sure that Adam is behind Putney Amps and Chris is doing Hightide Guitar repairs. 

If anyone needs me to confirm, it’s a 5 min walk from my house.