What guitars/gear did Nick McCabe use on Urban Hymns?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Dont forget not all the guitars on urban hymns are McCabe as they had allready recruited another guitarist Simon Tong. I recall Nick was using a Gretsch Jet LP style and the Blade strat alot during the mid nineties.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    Dont forget not all the guitars on urban hymns are McCabe as they had allready recruited another guitarist Simon Tong. I recall Nick was using a Gretsch Jet LP style and the Blade strat alot during the mid nineties.
    That's true, but I think he elevated the tunes with his lead. Sonnet and Lucky Man are good examples.

Plus had he not come back, the likes of rolling people and come on wouldn't have been present. I think the album needed those moments to break up the ballads. Something Ashcroft hasn't been able to recreate on his own albums.

The first guitar I associated with him was his lovely Goldtop Les Paul he was using a lot in the late nineties. Think it was an R7 .
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I almost bought an amp off him some years ago. He was refreshingly unpretentious and just seemed like a really nice guy. Perhaps too nice for the music industry. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Gerz6558 said:
    That's true, but I think he elevated the tunes with his lead. Sonnet and Lucky Man are good examples.

Plus had he not come back, the likes of rolling people and come on wouldn't have been present. I think the album needed those moments to break up the ballads. Something Ashcroft hasn't been able to recreate on his own albums.

The first guitar I associated with him was his lovely Goldtop Les Paul he was using a lot in the late nineties. Think it was an R7 .
    I think he had two R7s. Sold one when he was "sacked" from his band that he started the first time, and the second the second time.

I could be wrong on that as my memory is dodgy at the best of times.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    I know who's got the second R7 as well, not me I must stress, I just seem to know other Verve fans that happen to be mad collectors :)

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4833
    thegummy said:
    I obviously loved the album at the time like everyone did but, although I was learning guitar at the time, I haven't listened to them at all since getting properly in to guitar (gear, tone etc.) so will definitely need to give this album a listen.

Sorry if this is straying too much from the topic but any other suggestions from the Brit Pop era for good albums that also have good guitar playing or tone?
    My fave aside from those mentioned is Longpigs, The Sun Is Often Out. Some great songs on there and the lovely raw sounding Richard Hawley on guitar. On and On is one of my fave ever songs, had it as the second dance song at my wedding in fact. (Couldn't decide on just one!)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm prepared to be giggled at here but the first two Bluetones albums are great. Adam a very underrated player I think.

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    shugz said:
    I'm prepared to be giggled at here but the first two Bluetones albums are great. Adam a very underrated player I think.

Cheers 
    Hugh
    Wisdom.
    Played a gig with Mark Morriss a few years back, decent bloke. Never the best singer in the world but great songs and knows what he's doing. Looking forward to October and seeing the full band in Glasgow - they were usually really good live as well :)

H

www.proudhoney.com