Any Which? Subscribers here?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
I'm looking for a new washing machine and have budget of no more than £700 and wondered what the best is according to Which?

I've heard good things about Miele..

My ancient Hotpoint is on its last legs and I'm getting tired of having it in bits every month.  To date, I've replaced the drum spider, the drum main bearings and seals (twice), the heater (twice), the motor bearings, the drum pulley and belt, the motor brushes (at least four times), the logic board, the door seal (twice), the door lock, a shock absorber and the pressure switch.

However, Trigger’s broom is destined for no more repairs.  The commutator in the motor is wearing and munching brushes at an increasing rate, coating everything with a fine dust of graphite which is now leading to ELCB trips in the house.  I could get a new motor but that’s going to be over £100 easily and it’s just not worth spending that on what is an ancient, inefficient machine.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    Maybe you should budget £699 for the washing machine and £1 for the first month Which? membership!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My mum does and she got a Bosch for around £450-£500 IIRC. 
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    I think if you spend £700 on a washing machine it's going to be a damn good one whatever you pick. Bosch are a good brand to go with.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Bosch.

Loads of people have told me how amazing their Miele machines are and pretty much all of them have blown up or leaked. 12 year old bosch still going strong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Bosch.

Loads of people have told me how amazing their Miele machines are and pretty much all of them have blown up or leaked. 12 year old bosch still going strong.
    We've got a a Miele and it's been faultless - only had it a couple of years though and was well aware when we bought it that they weren't building to the same standard that earned them their reputation.

I'd recommend Good Housekeeping reviews over Which? When I've spoken to people in the know about a Which? recommendtion in various categories there has been a near universal raising of eyebrows. Perhaps, like Miele, they're relying on reputation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I think it’s pot luck. We’ve currently got a Hotpoint which is still ok after 7 years with zero problems. My old Miele is apparently still going strong after 20 years (my ex has it). Never been serviced, repaired or had anything at all done to it AFAIK. They used to give a 10 year warranty with them as standard so I guess they had faith in them being pretty bulletproof. No idea if they’re as well made now. 

The other way of doing it is to buy something like a Beko for a couple of hundred quid, get an extended warranty, accept it’ll go wrong shortly after it’s out of guarantee then chuck it out and get a new one. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited August 2019
    Definitely pot luck in my experience. Our previous, all singing, dancing and expensive LG machined itself apart after a couple of years due to bad internal design (it looked fab on the outside mind). Prior to that we had a fairly basic Hotpoint that went on for donkeys. Currently have a Bosch which seems fine.

PS Not sure I completely trust Which’s impartiality....

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    Miele are the stand-out brand, but their washing machines are only a small load, so no good for me.

I've had Bosch, AEG, Hotpoint, Samsung, and one or two others and none have been more reliable than any other.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    edited August 2019
    Fuck me, this is going to be another giant thread...

My advice Emp, is that you avoid detailed reviews like Which entirely. They simply do not suit your inquiring personality.

Back to topic, having owned many WMs, they are all much of a muchness.

I used to buy Bosch (German etc etc) but the last 4 all had blocked pump/failure. Now settled on a Hotpoint Ultima S which had great reviews, and seems well made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    Hotpoint here and no complaints in 5 years.  If it goes bang tomorrow, I just buy another, think it was £340.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I've got a spare motor in the loft if you can collect it from Swindon. It's from an Indesit, which like Hotpoint is one of the many Merloni brands.

Years ago I had a 'Trigger's broom' WM, so I stored the good bits from a previous casualty WM. These days we go to John Lewis. look for a good buy, and rely on their 2 year warranty on electrical goods.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I'm on my fourth Hoover washer/dryer in nearly thirty years.

First one lasted 18½ years. Its successor laster about 18½ days. It's warranty replacement lasted about a month longer than its five year warranty and the current one is about six years old. I'm more than happy with it.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Bosch or Miele
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    My prediction for this thread. 

75 pages - finds one in lime green but it’s a 6 month lead time. 

After much deliberation the interim washing machine is like this:

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I only have one piece of advice.

Don’t rule it out because it’s white.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    We've had our LG washing machine for around fourteen years.Four of us in the house,including two teenage boys, so it's on every day, sometimes two or three times. Never broken down and up to now never even replaced a single part. Cost us around £300 I seem to remember.

Definitely still luck of the draw when it comes to white goods though. We just got lucky.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Thanks for the advice.  I've just ordered a Bosch.  Here Thursday.

Has anyone fainted yet ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    Well you did ask 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited August 2019
    Bosch parts are expensive.  and they're not that reliable. We now always buy at the lower.end of the market and dump it if it needs more than £100 in repairs. Current one is about 7 years old, not so much as a peep out of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I’ve had Bosch and Meile machines in the past. They both went wrong to the point that repairs weren’t worth doing and they got binned instead. 

Best washing machine we’ve had is our current Beko.  Cheap as chips, washes well in 25 mins and installed free by AO.