What would you say the real world value of a 4-bolt 1971 Strat is?

What's Hot
MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
Have the opportunity to buy a 4 bolt neck, hardtail 1971 Strat. It's all original apart from a refret. Original finish, original everything else, just a refret.

Don't know if I may be paying too much (without revealing the price), and the prices online are completely all over the place.

What would you say a real world, worst day value would be?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Too many variables tbh, really need to see pics at least and an ude how heavy the old boat anchor  is ;)
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    There's no real variable to confuse it. Bog standard, all original 1971. These were all pretty light back then, so no weight issues like the later 70's. Only variable will be the hardtail which will knock off a few £. Just looking for folks who know, to let me know what they think

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    edited August 2019
    What sweepy said.

Condition is key.

Professional valuers will want to see photographs of EVERYTHING. Under the pickguard, neck heel and pocket, close-ups of pot date codes et cetera.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MikeS said:
    There's no real variable to confuse it. Bog standard, all original 1971. These were all pretty light back then, so no weight issues like the later 70's. Only variable will be the hardtail which will knock off a few £. Just looking for folks who know, to let me know what they think
    Even if it's fairly standard, the following can affect value:
    Colour
    Condition
    RW v maple board
    Period correct case
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14281
    tFB Trader
    Which bridge saddles does it have - 70's block style or 60's bent saddles

Is it a bullet truss rod

71 is so much of a transition model

assume staggered pole piece p/ups with grey bobbins

IMO the refret should not have any impact on the price, assuming a good job

You see few, if any less than 3.5 or 4K now - Good examples with case attract asking prices of around 5K

What is it worth to you might well be a different price as to the price select dealers will ask - It has desirable features, but the stop tail is a no no for many 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    How good a refret? This really matters. A bad refret is worse than anything, since it can mean it needs re-doing, and that may not be easy or possible on a thin round-lam board if damage has been done.

What condition? Despite the current fashion for 'relics', better condition is still worth more on old guitars.

Does it have the original case, or at least a Fender case of the right age that hasn't clearly had a different guitar in it?

As sweepy said, weight does matter too, although '71 is too early for the real boat anchors.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2019
    Im just looking for a ballpark, average, worst day if I was skint and had to sell it quickly, price for a 1971 completely all original, all matching dates hardtail 4 bolt.

edited August 2019
    Okay, full specs...

Hardtail
    4 bolt
    Truss rod at heel
    Sunburst
    R/W board
    Fender stamped 60s bent saddles
    straggered grey bobbins
    all matching dates
    good condition, only slight wear to original finish
    no case
    7lb
    refret, not bad job, not the best, with slightly beefier, probably 6105 frets
    Original nut

tone1 said:
    That's a 3 bolt, completely different animal ;)

tFB Trader
    MikeS said:
    Okay, full specs...

Hardtail
    4 bolt
    Truss rod at heel
    Sunburst
    R/W board
    60s bent saddles
    straggered grey bobbins
    all matching dates
    good condition, only slight wear to original finish
    no case
    7lb
    refret, not bad job, not the best, with slightly beefier, probably 6105 frets
    Original nut
    so all the key features for that year - last of the 60's spec'd models effectively - On a  bad day it has to be worth £2K if 'shit happens'

edited August 2019
    @guitars4you ;Thanks Mark, I hope 'that' day never comes

I'm contemplating paying waaaaay more than double that value, so I'm glad I asked.

tFB Trader
    MikeS said:
    Thanks Mark, I hope 'that' day never comes

I'm contemplating paying waaaaay more than double that value, so I'm glad I asked.

I think the bad day price is when many will jump on board and rush to buy it - Dealers and private buyers and even those who want to raid it for parts - Time on your side but still needing to sell and 3K becomes more realistic - After that it is a case of take your time - But that spec you listed is totally on you side
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2472
    I think £3500/4000 depending on how quick a sale you would be expecting. Hardtail a harder sell (despite them sounding great). 
    I think £3500/4000 depending on how quick a sale you would be expecting. Hardtail a harder sell (despite them sounding great). 
    Thanks Jimmy, That's the price I'm 'trying' to get it for. And personally I love a hardtail.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    The famous 'hitmaker' strat is a hardtail, albeit a little earlier. I've got one too and they do have a sound some of us like.

• KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Immediately thought 4k when reading before reading replies, hardtails can be great, The hitmaker mentioned above and many players block trems anyway....Mark has said it all, getting below the 4k would help though 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10484
    tFB Trader
    To me that was the last year of really desirable Strats ... screw the money ... that was when the pickups still sounded good ... the necks didn't wobble about, and they still felt 'right'. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    I don’t think being a hardtail affects the value at all either way - although fewer people want them, they are also much rarer.

But I would still find it hard to put a real world value above £3K on it even given the way 70s Fenders seem to be going now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• newi123newi123 Frets: 861
    There is a 1970 hardtail for sale currently in Vintage n Rare for comparison. £6.5k. 

https://vintageandrareguitars.com/product/1970-fender-stratocaster/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom