New headphones - Wow!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
edited September 2019 in Guitar
For years I've hated using headphones with MFX units and my Valvetronix AD120VTX amp.  I always thought the headphone socket was a poorly designed afterthought and even with decent headphones like BOSE it sounded dull and lifeless with poor dynamic response.  But then I came across an article explaining that headphones designed for listening to music and that plug into your music/mp3 player were completely wrong for digital modelling/musical instruments, because they are simply not designed to cope with the frequency range & dynamic response that's needed.  What's needed are studio grade speakers. So, for my birthday (and because they were fed up hearing my guitar from my den upstairs!) my family said they'd 'invest' in a good pair for me ...for their own sanity! 

So I did some research and without exception, every review extolled the virtues of the Audio Technica ATH-M50x professional monitor headphones, so my daughter ordered it with Amazon Prime and it came within 24 hrs.  Nicely boxed, it even comes with 3 plug in leads, long, short and coiled, and a nice little bag. I've been using them all day and I've just been completely gobsmacked at the difference.  The modelling of my Valvetronix really shines through with fabulous clarity, definition, warmth & feel, with tremendous bass, mid and top end response that's really well balanced. I couldn't believe this was the same amp that sounded absolute shite through my Bose headphones.  Plugged in my Tonelab MFX - again it was like I'd bought a completely different unit. Unfortunately, the Tonelabs don't have a looper and rhythm patterns.  

So I was going to get myself a Zoom G5 again for around £90-100 because I need a single unit that will let me do it all through headphones i.e.it has a looper and drum patterns... but I just realised it has no aux out for an mp3 player, which is a real bummer.  The G5n I had did but it was designed by monkeys & I wouldn't touch one of those again. I also don't want anything expensive and overly complex like a Helix or AxFx. So I'm now pondering that conundrum. s

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    I've been looking at getting a proper pair of headphones for years as the ones I use with my Zoom R8 are, as you say, not designed for instruments. The ones you got have been on my radar too. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I also recently bought a pair of these, replacing a pair of old 12 quid Panasonic headphones from Argos. Ridiculous what I spend on guitars and what I haven't spent on the stuff that matters. I'm also blown away. Plugged straight into a Line 6 Firehawk FX.

At the same time I bought a pair of krk rokit rp5's monitors, I would also highly recommend those.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    They are good cans.

These are also recommended, very comfortable. beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm Headphone https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000F2BLTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7v2ADb60Z0589
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited September 2019
    Unless there is a particular reason to want only a single unit why not use the Tonelab mfx with a Digitech Trio Plus. The latter not only provides the required looper and drum patterns but also optionally bass lines.
  • You picked a great pair of headphones. I think Bose are shit!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Nice headphones -

I agree that certain headphones are better for certain applications - I use the ATH-M40X for my headphone guitar play with UA OX. They’re great for that.

For sofa / iPad stuff I use Sennheiser Momentum’s - so light and comfortable and sound great for general YouTube type listening. 

• joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    What are the ATH M30x phones like for guitar? Ok for a budget option? Appreciate they won't have the finesse of the M50x 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • I love a good set of headphones. I have Sennheiser Momentums for the office, Bose noise-cancelling for travel, and Beyer DT770 (80 ohm, iirc) for drumming & guitar stuff. 

I do like the Bose a lot for their purpose, but they're nowhere near as good as the DT770s for music stuff.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2912
    I love the Beyer DT770s for playing guitar, through my HX Stomp. They sound pretty neutral and don’t feel too “closed in” like other even open backed headphones can.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited September 2019
    Jimbro66 said:
    Unless there is a particular reason to want only a single unit why not use the Tonelab mfx with a Digitech Trio Plus. The latter not only provides the required looper and drum patterns but also optionally bass lines.
    If I want to play to a backing track or song, I can't because neither of my Tonelabs have an Aux out for mp3 capability.  Ditto with the Trio Plus. I have limited space so a single unit that's more compact than my TLLE's is preferred. The Trio Plus is a nice idea though but these are too expensive new and you really need the FS3X controller to use properly.  If the G5 had aux out it would be perfect and can be picked up for around £90-100. I suspect a used trio plus is likely to be a similar price.  The Zoom G5n had aux out and sounded good, but the design was awful because the looper and rhythm weren't global, had to be set for a specific patch, and used up the memory slots, and an amp model plus cab plus 6 band EQ used up 5 of the nine memory slots on their own...stupid, thoughtless design, all Zoom needed to do was add an aux out and better switching options to the G5 & they'd have had a winner. Grrr. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The ATM50 are the headphones I use every day and they're amazing headphones.

That article is wrong though, they aren't inherently different to any other headphones, they're just good.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    joetele said:
    What are the ATH M30x phones like for guitar? Ok for a budget option? Appreciate they won't have the finesse of the M50x 
    Never heard them but if that was my budget I'd get them - I've always found AT to be good for the price.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I love a good set of headphones. I have Sennheiser Momentums for the office, Bose noise-cancelling for travel, and Beyer DT770 (80 ohm, iirc) for drumming & guitar stuff. 

I do like the Bose a lot for their purpose, but they're nowhere near as good as the DT770s for music stuff.
    Agreed, I have the DT770 pros (32ohm) and the BOSE quiet comforts. The DTs sound better for listening at home without noise cancellation- better base and dynamics.

My semi open back DT 880 Editions (250 ohm) are  more comfortable than the 770 pros as they don’t clamp so hard. Better for long guitar sessions for that reason. 
  • Voxman said:
    For years I've hated using headphones with MFX units and my Valvetronix AD120VTX amp.  I always thought the headphone socket was a poorly designed afterthought and even with decent headphones like BOSE it sounded dull and lifeless with poor dynamic response.  But then I came across an article explaining that headphones designed for listening to music and that plug into your music/mp3 player were completely wrong for digital modelling/musical instruments, because they are simply not designed to cope with the frequency range & dynamic response that's needed.  What's needed are studio grade speakers. So, for my birthday (and because they were fed up hearing my guitar from my den upstairs!) my family said they'd 'invest' in a good pair for me ...for their own sanity! 

So I did some research and without exception, every review extolled the virtues of the Audio Technica ATH-M50x professional monitor headphones, so my daughter ordered it with Amazon Prime and it came within 24 hrs.  Nicely boxed, it even comes with 3 plug in leads, long, short and coiled, and a nice little bag. I've been using them all day and I've just been completely gobsmacked at the difference.  The modelling of my Valvetronix really shines through with fabulous clarity, definition, warmth & feel, with tremendous bass, mid and top end response that's really well balanced. I couldn't believe this was the same amp that sounded absolute shite through my Bose headphones.  Plugged in my Tonelab MFX - again it was like I'd bought a completely different unit. Unfortunately, the Tonelabs don't have a looper and rhythm patterns.  

So I was going to get myself a Zoom G5 again for around £90-100 because I need a single unit that will let me do it all through headphones i.e.it has a looper and drum patterns... but I just realised it has no aux out for an mp3 player, which is a real bummer.  The G5n I had did but it was designed by monkeys & I wouldn't touch one of those again. I also don't want anything expensive and overly complex like a Helix or AxFx. So I'm now pondering that conundrum. s

What is it about the g5n you didn't like? I love mine, although not used the earlier g5. 

I'm looking for a new set of headphones so taking your advice on board! 
    edited September 2019

What is it about the g5n you didn't like? I love mine, although not used the earlier g5. 

I'm looking for a new set of headphones so taking your advice on board! 
    See my g5n journey here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/138564/npd-zoom-g5n-update-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-and-why-its-not-as-gig-friendly-as-hoped
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    edited September 2019
    Voxman said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    If I want to play to a backing track or song, I can't because neither of my Tonelabs have an Aux out for mp3 capability.  Ditto with the Trio Plus. I have limited space so a single unit that's more compact than my TLLE's is preferred. The Trio Plus is a nice idea though but these are too expensive new and you really need the FS3X controller to use properly.  If the G5 had aux out it would be perfect and can be picked up for around £90-100. I suspect a used trio plus is likely to be a similar price.  The Zoom G5n had aux out and sounded good, but the design was awful because the looper and rhythm weren't global, had to be set for a specific patch, and used up the memory slots, and an amp model plus cab plus 6 band EQ used up 5 of the nine memory slots on their own...stupid, thoughtless design, all Zoom needed to do was add an aux out and better switching options to the G5 & they'd have had a winner. Grrr. 
    You can get a mixer like the alto ZMX52 for around £40. Problem solved.
    edited September 2019
    NelsonP said:
    You can get a mixer for around £40.
    That's an interesting idea although I'd be adding to cabling no end and I've got limited space.  What compact units are available at that kind of price?
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    sorry to half hijack the thread but any decent headphones for around £60? 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    mark123 said:
    sorry to half hijack the thread but any decent headphones for around £60? 

Stock answer: Superlux from Thomann.  Decent sound quality for beer money.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Jimbro66 said:
    This is what you mean?

No photo description available
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom