Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How Thomann does it?

What's Hot
JotaJota Frets: 465
This guitar is about 300€ more in every other store!
They had it at the same price but it came down to the actual price a few weeks ago. I thought every other store would do the same but no, they're still higher!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8766
    edited September 2019
    Their internal costs are lower. For example, they don’t have a high street retail store front to fund. 
    Their volumes are high, so their fixed overhead costs are spread more thinly.
    Their purchasing power allows them to buy larger quantities, which means that suppliers’ costs per item are lower, and the purchasing price can be lower. 
    Their geographic reach means that they can shift stock which Gibson Germany can’t sell as quickly. This particular line of guitars might be something which Gibson wants to clear to make room for new stock lines.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    Roland said:
    Their internal costs are lower. For example, they don’t have a high street retail store front to fund. 
    Their purchasing power allows them to buy larger quantities, which means that suppliers’ costs per item are lower, and the purchasing price can be lower. 
    Their geographic reach means that they can shift stock which Gibson Germany can’t sell as quickly. This particular line of guitars might be something which Gibson wants to clear to make room for new stock lines.
    I've
     been following the prices on these and they run out of stock pretty often (specially the blue one) and they keep the price when they get a new batch while everyone has the price higher!
    I've only saw it in this particular model.
  • Context; I paid £600 for a brand new SG Special in 2016. It's still massively overpriced 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited September 2019

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    phil_b said:
    the one in the link is listed as "B"  stock
    No it isn't.
    It additionally says a B stock guitar is available for 869 Euro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    Context; I paid £600 for a brand new SG Special in 2016. It's still massively overpriced 
    Gloss or satin?  The burgundy ones are full gloss + bound neck, not far off a standard spec-wise
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    octatonic said:
    phil_b said:
    the one in the link is listed as "B"  stock
    No it isn't.
    It additionally says a B stock guitar is available for 869 Euro.

yes I realised my mistake and tried to delete my post but you beat me to it
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Roland said:
    They do have a retail store, and it’s massive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    They plant listening devices in them and sell the resultant recordings to Ed Sheeran to give him ideas for songs.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Context; I paid £600 for a brand new SG Special in 2016. It's still massively overpriced 
    I agree. Gibson are having a bit of a laugh with their stupidity high prices, I don’t know if it’s something to do with the decreasing value of the £. I wonder what will happen to Thomann prices in the U.K. if we crash out of the EU.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Context; I paid £600 for a brand new SG Special in 2016. It's still massively overpriced 
    I agree. Gibson are having a bit of a laugh with their stupidity high prices, I don’t know if it’s something to do with the decreasing value of the £. I wonder what will happen to Thomann prices in the U.K. if we crash out of the EU.
    We aren’t “crashing out” of anything. The UK is leaving. What we make of it after we leave is down to those who have the sense. Unlike all those chest beaters who think the world’s going to end on the 31st October, and won’t lift a finger to improve their own or their country’s opportunities.

And this preoccupation with the economic effect of Brexit shouldn’t distract us from a vibrant worldwide market for guitars. There IS a bargain out there, but not necessarily in one of the EU’s 27, but maybe in one of the other 160-170 countries that are not members of the EU.
    25reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 631
    fandango said:
    We aren’t “crashing out” of anything. The UK is leaving. What we make of it after we leave is down to those who have the sense. Unlike all those chest beaters who think the world’s going to end on the 31st October, and won’t lift a finger to improve their own or their country’s opportunities.

And this preoccupation with the economic effect of Brexit shouldn’t distract us from a vibrant worldwide market for guitars. There IS a bargain out there, but not necessarily in one of the EU’s 27, but maybe in one of the other 160-170 countries that are not members of the EU.
    I really really don't want to de-rail this thread, but as someone who analyses the impact of Brexit for a living I just have to say that if extricating ourselves from the systems and institutions that more-or-less define our economic, trading, legal and regulatory regimes without a transitional period doesn't count as "crashing out" then I don't know what does. Leaving with a comprehensive trade deal or transitional period is one thing, but leaving without a deal is literally economic vandalism. If anyone tells you "WTO terms" provides a reasonable basis for a country the size of the UK to trade with our largest trade partners then I'm afraid they are betraying their economic and legal illiteracy, and I doubt if they've ever read a single WTO schedule.

And by the way we have much better access/trading leverage as a member of the EU to the rest of the world than we do outside. If the pound drops and we are cut off from many of the trading partners we have access to by merit of our EU membership (including Canada, South America, South Korea, Japan etc) resulting in increased tariffs, then I assure you that there will be fewer bargains to be had. Our negotiating leverage will be so poor in a no deal scenario that countries like the US will bend us over a barrel.

I won't be commenting on this again as I don't want to get involved in protracted debate, which feels too much like work! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 35reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    There IS a bargain out there, but not necessarily in one of the EU’s 27, but maybe in one of the other 160-170 countries that are not members of the EU.
    You have made me want a North Korean guitar so bad, I believe there is a fantastic factory there called "conquer the world guitars".

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • @fandango ...ok mate, positivity reigns.

I will be wishing and maintaining my stiff upper lip, putting my best foot forward. Because of all these things, Gibson will ring me up and offer to ship one of these to me for twenty quid, by unicorn, as a reward for my faithful and stoic optimism. 

I had no idea positive thinking had so much impact on economics! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    Oh dear it's all gone a bit brexity
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    fandango said:

have a lol...
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    Fuck brexit, the wankers won't let us leave anyway despite what people voted for

If anyone thinks leaving is catastrophic they're deluded, what happens in people's personal lives is catastrophic especially when a family member dies, if going on holidays aren't as cheap or something you want but don't need is more expensive big deal 

I couldn't care less personally, I'll shut up now

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    edited September 2019
    Can we extend the criticism to the rest of them as well in that case? For around the price of this American made nitro instrument complete with the nice case, Fender will sell you a Mexican made road worn with a gig bag.

I don't like price increases, but I think if anything Gibson have been a bit generous in the past with their sub 1k ranges.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    fandango said:

You might have better luck selling your Apple Mac Book pro if you advertise it on the World Market once we've left calmly in a dignified way with our heads held high.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    @modmins, can this thread be moved to Politics...?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom