70's SG serial nos Location?Value?

2»

Comments

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^  - good to see some pics - Probably my error but I was expecting the SG with the controls mounted on the black plastic control plate - Same era still but different model - My comments are still valid regarding the lack of serial number - What price have you been offered for it

Understandable don't think there were many in that exact configuration.

I'm not selling,I'm considering buying it, It does sound rather good, -rather better than any gibson I've had in my hands for over a year.

Tricky to price it especialy  without pics

What do you think its worth?
    When logic and proportion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14421
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^  - good to see some pics - Probably my error but I was expecting the SG with the controls mounted on the black plastic control plate - Same era still but different model - My comments are still valid regarding the lack of serial number - What price have you been offered for it

Understandable don't think there were many in that exact configuration.

I'm not selling,I'm considering buying it, It does sound rather good, -rather better than any gibson I've had in my hands for over a year.

Tricky to price it especialy  without pics

What do you think its worth?
    Yes I can gather you are interested in buying -  I'd need to see more to be happier with any value

as a guide line a refin can reduce the guitars value by 33.3%, even 50% - Depends on the grade of the refin - In my opinion the lack of serial number will reduce it by  a further 33.3%

You can see good examples of that SG for sale on the likes of Reverb between £1500 and £2000 - based on original finish, no breaks and correct pots/pick-ups and hardware - based on that then it sounds like your SG needs to be under £1000 and maybe closer to £750 - But that is just like wetting your finger and wafting it about in the room 
  • Many thanks for all the help.

This is a superbly skilled forum.

:)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14421
    tFB Trader
    Many thanks for all the help.

This is a superbly skilled forum.

:)

do you know if the embossed pick-ups are T tops - I assume so but no need to take off the covers if they are still intact - Some have 'tarback' pick-ups but think these came in a bit later

That guitar may well have 71 pots and they may well be original - check solder joins - But from the pic you sent I'm leaning towards 1972
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    edited September 2019
    Pots are rather late in 71 so 72 sounds right.

I'm no judge of how sloppy gibson soldering was in the 70s so I cant tell by looking.

What type of caps did they use back then?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19014
    edited September 2019
    @Revolting1 ;;
    Just noticed a Gibson for sale on here  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/163443/gibson-l6-s-custom-1973-black
    Check out the back of the headstock, no stamps that I can see.
    Curious...
    Edit : I'm in no way suggesting that the L6-S is anything but genuine 
    ;) :)  
  • Interesting
    @Revolting1 ;;
    Just noticed a Gibson for sale on here  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/163443/gibson-l6-s-custom-1973-black
    Check out the back of the headstock, no stamps that I can see.
    Curious
    httpslivestaticflickrcom6553548668123751_b49a9dabac_bjpg
        Does'nt look like a refin...

Anyone one else here with a serial free Gibson?