Idea : The Fretboard indoor carboot sale

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    TimmyO said:
    I'd be up for something like that - a swapshop/boot sale aspect is a great idea
    Will it be a multi-coloured Swapshop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Cool idea. I'd be in. 
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    jellyroll;242607" said:
    TimmyO said:

I'd be up for something like that - a swapshop/boot sale aspect is a great idea

Just as long as Noël Edmonds doesn't turn up. Or Mr Blobby.....
    Mr Blobby? Don't you mean Posh Paws the t-Rex made of fuzzy felt. God I'm surprised I can even remember that...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7787
    I organised four Basschat get-togethers - just off J16 of the M1 (Northampton) - not a huge room but it coped with around 40 folk as far as I can recall.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    It MUST have a bar!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Don't forget cake, there must be cake too. Get the WI in for some Jam and Jerusalem.

Bummer I am so far away a GAS super swapshop/bring and buy sounds awesome.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    @TTony is this something you are looking to take over? Do you want some help etc?
    Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take the lead on arranging it.

I'd love for it to happen, but apart from making encouraging noises, there's not a lot I can do to ensure that it does happen.

We'd need;

1.  A venue - that people can get to reasonably easily, no matter where they're starting from (!)  Road & rail links ideally.
    2.  A date - that most people can make, doesn't conflict with family holidays, gig dates, hairdresser appointments (etc).
    3.  A program of events that means people want to make the effort to get there.
    4.  A few people (3-4?) to organise it all ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    TBH I can't see this idea, good as it is, as a runner.  If we all lived in London then it is a possibility but the cost of travel and accommodation rules it out for me.

But we could have a virtual car boot sale.  Similar to normal sales except all items are listed on the same thread.  Description, condition, price and a pic or two.  No public contact between seller and buyer, all by PMs.  Details need to be worked out but it is possible..... 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Unless we can get motoring on the organisation, September strikes me as being potentially helpful in terms of a date. Weather's still good and most people are back from holiday.

What about somewhere like Rugby? 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339

TTony said:
    @TTony is this something you are looking to take over? Do you want some help etc?
    Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take the lead on arranging it.

I'd love for it to happen, but apart from making encouraging noises, there's not a lot I can do to ensure that it does happen.

We'd need;

1.  A venue - that people can get to reasonably easily, no matter where they're starting from (!)  Road & rail links ideally.
    2.  A date - that most people can make, doesn't conflict with family holidays, gig dates, hairdresser appointments (etc).
    3.  A program of events that means people want to make the effort to get there.
    4.  A few people (3-4?) to organise it all ...

I happy to provisionally suggest 20th September in Rugby Hilmorton or somewhere near Daventry (otherside of M1 from Rugby)

A program of events? I will look to someone else for that.
    I imagine with all the gear potentially on site it would be easy to cobble together enough stuff for a jam.

@TTony would the fretboard coffers be contributing to this? (I make an assumption here that there is some money for this sort of thing).

@Rocker its £20 return for Euston to Long Buckby. I think the train runs until 11pm. Im sure one of us round here would pick you up.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Id personally love to hear the strymon big boxes linked together (mobius, timeline, big sky) if possible. Rugby is easy enough from w yorks, so I remain in.
    If @wazmeister is up for it id also love to hear his Cornish pedals together.
    @TTony would the fretboard coffers be contributing to this? (I make an assumption here that there is some money for this sort of thing).

Unfortunately, the only monies we have are what's been donated to us to keep this place running.

We could maybe look at trying to arrange some sort of sponsored event, but I'm not sure what sort of benefit there's likely to be for a sponsor.  Hence, most of "our" (forum community) events of this type have tended to be held in function rooms of pubs, where the potential for food/drink sales persuade the owner to give us the space for free.

20th Sept is sufficiently far away, and outside summer holidays, to sound like it could be a go-er.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4987
    Rocker said:
    TBH I can't see this idea, good as it is, as a runner.  If we all lived in London then it is a possibility but the cost of travel and accommodation rules it out for me.

But we could have a virtual car boot sale.  Similar to normal sales except all items are listed on the same thread.  Description, condition, price and a pic or two.  No public contact between seller and buyer, all by PMs.  Details need to be worked out but it is possible..... 
    That's already sorted, it's called the classifieds ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Thread resurrection

So everyone has had a week or 2 to mull this over. 

Shall I get the wheels in motion/
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Assuming 20th September in Rugby, I'm in
    Thread resurrection

So everyone has had a week or 2 to mull this over. 

Shall I get the wheels in motion/
    Yes.

Got a venue (rather than location) in mind?

If we can get that confirmed, with an idea of facilities (stage, PA, food/drink, separate "quiet" room for trading perhaps), we can do some more planning and get the dates in people's diaries ...
    A venue is in the works but as we are looking at something for no cost I dont think we will have the luxury of multiple rooms.

I will keep you all posted
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom