Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

guitar /amp marriage

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 858
    edited September 2019
    Still waiting to find a Strat bridge pickup that can compete with a good Tele one.
    @rze99 ; May I point you in the direction of a Dimarzio SDS1.
    Plenty of punch and solved my years long search for the same thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I generally agree with @ICBM, except I think Strats sound rubbish through Marshalls. Give me a chimey Vox or slightly-pushed blackface Fender any day
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    for me,
    les pauls, sg, or most  set neck short scale guitars for the matter work best with old school Marshall, my last option specially for les paul styled ones would be any high gainer, they seem to compress too much for me..
    I am referring to cooking tones mainly btw,
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    Anything Marshall Post Plexi is poo, there I said it ;). Runs away with his Rift and Suhr GG ;)
  • Banjo soubds great through a 5150
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I always thought that Teles sounded at their best through Fender amps, but I was very impressed with how they sound in Vox amps (namely the AC10 and AC15). Haven’t yet found a Marshall amp I’ve liked.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2203
    Tele into Tweed is a perfect marriage. 

I like LPs into blackface fender type amps and 335s into anything. 

Don't get on with Marshalls at all for some reason and never owned or even tried a Vox. 
  • I generally agree with @ICBM, except I think Strats sound rubbish through Marshalls. Give me a chimey Vox or slightly-pushed blackface Fender any day
    On the money. 

Interesting how many don’t get on with Marshalls - thought it was just me. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    If you want it to, pretty much any guitar sounds good through any amp. Some are more of a fight, but they all make a musical/tuneful sound. Context is everything.
    We've discussed lots of times how guitarist 'X' always sounds like themselves irrispective of the guitar or amp they are using.
    For my personal taste the classic sounds appeal and make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

• A Strat through a Peavey was the perceived wisdom back in the day, although I tend to agree with others above, that a good guitar and good amp will never sound bad, it's just personal preference
  • Any decent Guitar through a Bogner Goldfinger 45. Heavenly clean channel and a very good Plexi Like "Loud 69" mode on the lead channel.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7342

For me with my pairings:

P90 + Tweed Deluxe
    Strat + Fender Blackface
    Tele + Marshall / Cornford
    Les Paul + everything (Super Reverb best for me)
    335 + everything (Session Rockette 30 best for me)
    LP Jr + everything (add a little boost)

But all can be made to excel with a little pedal boost or two.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• Strat - Fender Bassman
    Les Paul - Marshall
  • Expecting a few lols here but the one of the nicest guitar tones I've ever experienced was my Gibson SG Standard through a Vox DA5, I can't remember the amp mode was but it was superb, more recently my Strat through a Line 6 Amplifi using a preset called 'Godlike Clean' my word it sounds bloody incredible. Trying to replicate it through my PRRI failed miserably.   
    On the money. 

Yeah, not only you. I reckon ACDC's Shoot To Thrill and You Shook Me All Night Long are pretty much the best dirty sounds ever recorded, but every other Marshall sound leaves me cold when it's actually under my own fingers.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1621
    I generally agree with @ICBM, except I think Strats sound rubbish through Marshalls. Give me a chimey Vox or slightly-pushed blackface Fender any day
    On the money. 

Yeah, not only you. I reckon ACDC's Shoot To Thrill and You Shook Me All Night Long are pretty much the best dirty sounds ever recorded, but every other Marshall sound leaves me cold when it's actually under my own fingers.
    I get the Marshall comments but I guess it is dependant in which amp. JTM45’s for example are warm, loads of bottom end and the total opposite of what I find with a 1987x. Turned up 3/4’s of the way up and it’s a glorious sound with any guitar and with use of your guitars volume and tone it can be quite versatile. 

That being said so can a Tweed and so can a Vox or any other brand I guess. 

I find the Tweed Bassman a little more spiky and brittle sounding than the Marshall. It’s certainly got a more aggressive break up.